Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of floor jacks do you guys use to lift your sonata for oil changes and tire rotations?

Please provide the following:

Brand Name
Capacity
Cost
Where to buy

I am assuming you guys lift the car on the jack points which is on the side of the car?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. What do you think about this jack? I'm not looking at spending more than 100 and I prefer aluminum since they weigh less.

http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T84020-Aluminu...1701&sr=8-3

I know it's only 1.5 ton, but I'm also only lifting one side of the car. I'm thinking about getting two of these one for each side when I jack the car up for oil changes and tire rotations.

I have to say, those of you who uses ramp are brave. I'm scared I will press the gas too hard and make the car fall off the ramp.

I am also jacking the car up using the jack points mentioned on the service manual. I rigged up a hokey puck to accomodate the lip on the jack points which holds quite well during my first oil change. We borrowed a jack from my aunt but had to return it so I thought I'd buy my own.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i bought the hockey pucks on ebay. They work well and very strong.

QUOTE (rmissourimule @ Sep 21 2010, 11:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357671
I would simply go to Wal-Mart and get the 2 ton units for $25 each. They work just fine and take up little space in the garage. Unless you have a garage and do this kind of work you don't really need much more than this. I use the ramps because I have a concrete driveway and a 1 inch rise to stop the ramps from scooting forward. When the wheels are firmly in the depressions, I shut the engine off and set the emergency brake. It isn't going anywhere. I don't exactly trust those plastic jobbies. I am very, very careful to put them on the two metal ramps. I use 2"6" boards at the bottom of the ramp so as not to scrap the facia panel. I actually do this by myself although a friend or relative who can be trusted could position or help the driver to get up the ramps too. Offhand I don't know if these metal ramps are readily available although they can probably be picked up at garage sales or auctions. This plastic crap tends to deteriorate over time but metal seldom does unless it would literally rust through which is unlikely.

I have about $3,000 worth of tools but for this kind of work, having "less" is more. I just pick the jacks up and deposit them in one of the cubby holes in my garage shelving cabinet and they take up very little room. Since they aren't used by every three months or so that's all you really need.

Hockey puck; now that is a very good idea. I've been using wooden blocks to cushion the jack. Where does one go to get those?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.