Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (rmissourimule @ Sep 21 2010, 10:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357668
Well, actually, when you jack up the car you will be supporting more than 1/4 of the weight of the vehicle. More weight is on the front end of the vehicle. You will find that even the rear wheels will start to lift off the pavement to some extent when you lift from the front of the vehicle toward the rear of the jack point. If you lift only from the rear lift point, it would be true that 1/4 or even less of the weight of the vehicle would be on the floor jack. The typical weight distribution is probably about 62/38 front to rear on most front wheel drive vehicles which is 98% of passenger vehicles today.

The important thing to bear in mind is never to get under a car using only floor jacks. I don't even truly trust jack stands unless on perfectly flat surfaces as the weight can shift and disaster results. By using the metal ramps the car isn't going anywhere which is why I use them to change the oil. Tire rotations are no problem because I never get under the car. And that is why I use two of them so I don't have to keep jacking the car up and down using only one jack. The heavy duty garage quality floor jacks are simply too expensive for a home owner to invest in. Of course you can always find the cheap Chinese made jacks but I don't trust their quality for tools. But really the best deal, at least for me, is to take it to the local Hyundai dealer on Wednesdays where I can get a complete oil and filter change for $19.95 and he disposes of the oil and filter. It costs me that much just for the supplies at the local auto parts store. But I prefer to rotate my own tires and check the air pressure and torque the wheel nuts down using a good torque wrench. I don't like those air impact wrenches and even with a very long breaker bar it is very difficult in some cases to break the nuts loose and occasionally will find one that is only finger tight.

Until you find out that they did a half-assed job and then you'll never go back again. Several posters from this board it happen to them. For something as simple as an oil change. I'll gladly do it myself and save a headache. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (rmissourimule @ Sep 21 2010, 10:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357677
Why would they do that?

This was the Nagadoches, Texas Hyundai dealer and it is in their computer system. This is not some greasy ragged back lot shade tree operation. If they want my business in the future they had better do it right. I've had many dealers change oil and filters over the years without incident. I would never use these chains or back alley operators. It is a "special" that is offered once a week and they also get an opportunity for other needed maintenance work. They changed out two filters I had neglected and lost no money and kept my goodwill.
In a perfect world this wouldn't happen. You're right if they want your business they would always do it right. Its not always the case.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.