Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
@;:beathorse: Well on my '16 im going to put my new winters and rims on. I use my 3.5ton floor jack with a soft contact in the saddle for my other vehicles and lift on the frame rail.

But with these unibody jobers is the "only" place to honestly lift safely without bending or messing up the pinch welds that eventually rust and turn into a toyota? :laughing:

The soft rubber saddle on my jack should be ok on the pinch welds or no? Or should I buy the adaptor or take one of the kids hockey pucks and notch it out for the pinch weld. Then where do i stuff a jack stands at?

What about lifting on the long unibody rails or control arms underneath?

I know i could use the OEM jack in the trunk with the notch but this 3.5T jack is quick at 2 pumps to full height (22" high). Plus alot more of a pain in the @$$ then the oem one.

Whats everyone doing, lifting one wheel off the ground at a time or one side at a time or the back or front at a time.

On my other stuff i do one whole side at a time (one front and one rear wheel). Works well this way.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Not sure about your car but my Hyundai look beyond the pinch weld Jack point. There are 2 main rails the have a circle gommet in them . I Jack here with floor jack. Rear I have a torsion bar. I use hockey puck on the pinch weld and place the jack stand in the cup area where the bolt secures to the frame on the torsion bar. You more than welcome to watch my tire rotation video to see how I do it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
@;:beathorse: Well on my '16 im going to put my new winters and rims on. I use my 3.5ton floor jack with a soft contact in the saddle for my other vehicles and lift on the frame rail.
I got so sick of the OEM jack that I picked up a new floor jack from Princess Auto a few weeks back. I forgot to pick up a rubber saddle though, so need to go back. It hadn't occurred to me that jacking up by the pinch weld on a "flat" saddle would be an issue, but now you mention it... yeah, I could see how it might bend there.

I wonder if a grooved rubber saddle like this would mitigate that?

There's also another type available online (Amazon, eBay) that looks like this:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The second one I would get. I use homemade hockey puck on my floor jack as the one I reviewed on my site. But that second pick would be cool as my saddle comes out and has the same type of oval pin. I might actually order that and do a review of it....

·
2,258 Posts
Not sure about your car but my Hyundai look beyond the pinch weld Jack point. There are 2 main rails the have a circle gommet in them . I Jack here with floor jack. Rear I have a torsion bar. I use hockey puck on the pinch weld and place the jack stand in the cup area where the bolt secures to the frame on the torsion bar. You more than welcome to watch my tire rotation video to see how I do it.
you're asking for trouble. thats soft unibody.

·
2,258 Posts
the spot where the k-frame/sub-frame meets the unibody is a good spot. same with the rear; where the rear k-frame/sub-frame meets the unibody.

look at the bottom part of the photo. you will see a large silver looking hole on either side. thats a fine spot.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The rail up front is double reinforced so it's OK. The further you go back it become single thick rail. If you jack up on a single thick rail you will damage the frame. Where I Jack up is double reinforced. This applies for most unibody frames. This car has be lifted 100s times over the 7 years in my garage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice, ill have a look under mine. What year is yours? Ill look for the vid.

I got so sick of the OEM jack that I picked up a new floor jack from Princess Auto a few weeks back. I forgot to pick up a rubber saddle though, so need to go back. It hadn't occurred to me that jacking up by the pinch weld on a "flat" saddle would be an issue, but now you mention it... yeah, I could see how it might bend there.

I wonder if a grooved rubber saddle like this would mitigate that?

There's also another type available online (Amazon, eBay) that looks like this:
Ya this rubber saddle came with this jack from crappy tire. It just pops in and out of the metal saddle when you want. Pretty good deal on sale for $80 for a 3.5T jack.
I think ill grab a soft puck tomorrow and cut it.

The second one I would get. I use homemade hockey puck on my floor jack as the one I reviewed on my site. But that second pick would be cool as my saddle comes out and has the same type of oval pin. I might actually order that and do a review of it....
Sounds good!!
you're asking for trouble. thats soft unibody.
How soft is it though? Not steel?

the spot where the k-frame/sub-frame meets the unibody is a good spot. same with the rear; where the rear k-frame/sub-frame meets the unibody.

look at the bottom part of the photo. you will see a large silver looking hole on either side. thats a fine spot.
Ill check it out, thanx.

The rail up front is double reinforced so it's OK. The further you go back it become single thick rail. If you jack up on a single thick rail you will damage the frame. Where I Jack up is double reinforced. This applies for most unibody frames. This car has be lifted 100s times over the 7 years in my garage.
:beer:

·
Registered
2018 Santa Fe Sport Limited 2.0T AWD
334 Posts
I thought I would hop on this thread and ask a follow-up question, as I'm not certain if there has been a census if it's safe to use a car jack on our Sante Fe models.

I have a 2018 Sante Fe Sport Limited 2.0T and purchased a 3 ton SUV floor jack. I want to use this floor jack to only switch my tires from winters to summers and vice versa.

I think I know where to jack up the car... on the double reinforced areas. I've included pics of the front and back along with the floor jack that I will be using. Please let me know your thoughts on these areas with this floor jack type.

Cheers!

IMG_3022.jpg IMG_3023.jpg IMG_3024.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought I would hop on this thread and ask a follow-up question, as I'm not certain if there has been a census if it's safe to use a car jack on our Sante Fe models.

I have a 2018 Sante Fe Sport Limited 2.0T and purchased a 3 ton SUV floor jack. I want to use this floor jack to only switch my tires from winters to summers and vice versa.

I think I know where to jack up the car... on the double reinforced areas. I've included pics of the front and back along with the floor jack that I will be using. Please let me know your thoughts on these areas with this floor jack type.

Cheers!

View attachment 446512 View attachment 446513 View attachment 446514
I just use a hockey puck, cut down the middle 1/2" wide and about 3/4" deep. Fits perfectly in the pinch weld pocket. I put it in the saddle on my floor jack and lift away. Works flawless and super cheap at $1.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for your response Savage420, but the the floor jack saddle circumference is too small for a puck. I ordered one of those grooved rubber saddles from Princess Auto, as I think this will fit my saddle. Let’s see if this works.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I received my grooved rubber saddle from Princess Auto this morning and it seems to fit in my floor jack saddle insert perfectly fine. I'm going to give this a try this weekend. Wish me luck.

Cheers!

·
Registered
334 Posts
The grooved rubber saddle from Princess Auto worked great with my floor jack. I changed all four wheels without issue.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra SE
231 Posts
I live in Ohio. It's a rust belt for sure. Because of this I always use the control arms. As a plus it will raise faster too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts