Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this flat tire, very slow leak, took 2 weeks to notice. I just wanted to ask whether you recommend I take it to dealership to fix, or any general tire shop? Thanks.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm confident that 99.9% of Flats are repaired at Tire dealers, rare (full) Svc Stations, etc. -

What I hope someone will clarify is IF the "proper repair" is from [Inside the tire] Vs. Reaming out the hole with the hand tool and injecting the Waxy Chord/Glue into the hole. I assume Road Svc (Plan) trucks must do the latter but don't know if that's a Big Deal.

Which reminds me of having a Good 12V Air Inflator in case the Spare in your X-year old car is Flat - as mine was when I chk'd it recently. The 12v Inflator will save you with Slow Leaks -

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
The proper way, IMO, is to have it done from inside the tire with a patch unless you are in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Take it to a tire shop. They will advise you whether it can be repaired or whether it needs to be replaced. All repairs done on radial tires today require the tire to be dismounted from the rim and patched from the inside (you should not plug patch a radial tire from the outside). The tire is then remounted and rebalanced.

·
Registered
275 Posts
^^^^ THIS! This is the ONLY way to repair a tire. A push-plug is not a repair, it's a temporary band-aid to get you to a shop and get it done right. I work in a shop and I can tell you that as recently as yesterday we had a tire come in that was leaking through the push-plug.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I will look for a tire shop around my area. The tire is doing fine this morning after I reinflated it yesterday evening.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
^^^^ THIS! This is the ONLY way to repair a tire. A push-plug is not a repair, it's a temporary band-aid to get you to a shop and get it done right. I work in a shop and I can tell you that as recently as yesterday we had a tire come in that was leaking through the push-plug.
a band-aid fix that lasted me from when the tires were nearly new to when they were worn down to nothing. if a plug is done right, its fine. my leak was a small screw that got jammed in the tread. perfect candidate. just because you have seen some poorly done plugs (or ones used where they have no business) doesn't mean that they are all bad.

so why is everyone assuming that the OP has a puncture somewhere? sure its a good possibility, but its equally likely that the seal to the wheel has started to leak.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I had a similar situation. Very slow leak over a 2 week period. TPMS indicator came on twice..it was RR tire...5 lbs. low. Took to service station they plugged it (don't know if inside or outside repair). All tires now up to correct pressure, but TPMS light on constantly. Does anyone know if there is a reset button for the TPMS? Repairer checked all tires and TPMS not transmitting on any of the tires. Other than taking to Hyundai dealer, any suggestions or comments?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Everyone should read this on the proper way to repair a puncture. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=77
Glad to see Tire Rack is now promoting the best method for repairs. The proper repair method has been debated for years, and Michelin started to recommend the combined plug/patch years ago. Of course, at that time there were no supplies for doing so, and often you could damage the inner liner of the tire while trying to trim the plug so that you could attach the patch. Now there is technology to the rescue!

By the way, this is what NTB did to my wife's tire recently when she picked up a nail at work. It takes more time, but hopefully it won't shorten the life of my one-week-old (at the time of puncture) tire!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
a band-aid fix that lasted me from when the tires were nearly new to when they were worn down to nothing. if a plug is done right, its fine. my leak was a small screw that got jammed in the tread. perfect candidate. just because you have seen some poorly done plugs (or ones used where they have no business) doesn't mean that they are all bad.

so why is everyone assuming that the OP has a puncture somewhere? sure its a good possibility, but its equally likely that the seal to the wheel has started to leak.
I've had numerous tires plugged over the years and not a single one ever failed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Took car back to original repairer and he attached diagnostic computer in an attempt to find out why TPMS light was staying on. As soon as he connected, TPMS light went off and has not come back on. I guess the only way to really find out if TPMS's are working is to deflate tire down from recommended pressure and see if the TPMS then comes on. Will respond after I check this out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Take it to a tire shop. They will advise you whether it can be repaired or whether it needs to be replaced. All repairs done on radial tires today require the tire to be dismounted from the rim and patched from the inside (you should not plug patch a radial tire from the outside). The tire is then remounted and rebalanced.
yup, nail in the tire.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It's worth mentioning that if you get a puncture anywhere on the Side of a tire Vs. Tread as I have, don't resent the next line "Tire needs Replacing". I have never found anyone willing to do that repair per the RISK vs. Reward formula.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I bought this last night with an additional longer hose. I'm going to put a tire plug kit in the bag with it. I have plugged hundreds of tires in my lifetime. I have also patched hundreds of tires. Plugs are great in an emergency. Compressed air is also always nice to have. It will do balls, inflatables, and tires up to 60 PSI.

Viair 87P Sport Compact Portable Air Compressor for Tire Sports Inflation | eBay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts