Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the proximity key and for winter I would like to leave car running and manually lock the door while it heats up

Do they make a flat key for the doors? Would a flat key like from a 2003 Elantra cut to my code work for the door?

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you have a keyfob, you actually already have one. Its the sliver part where your other keys are hanging at.
Press the little button on the lower right side, under the HORN button, and pull. You're key will come out!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was actually curious about this, myself, so I tried.

Went out, started the car, popped the key out of the fob, left the fob in the cupholder.... exited the car, manually locked with the key. Works just fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 2017 came with the fat plastic headed key (actual good 'ol key). I was told at that time that it was a transponder key, needed to be copied only by dealer. Right away I wanted a non plastic key to keep in my wallet and/or hide under the car for emergencies. My local hardware store was able to copy it even though it wasn't documented for 2017 Hyundai. HY-KO brand key, HY15 is the part number. I think it was documented at that time for previous years of Hyundai cars. It works for ignition and driver's door (Neither passenger door nor trunk have keyholes, nice shaving of 5 bucks off the cost of production. Jeez.....no trunk keyhole.....) For all those reading who might be interested, there is NO transponder. I used this key, leaving originals at home, driving all over.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was actually curious about this, myself, so I tried.

Went out, started the car, popped the key out of the fob, left the fob in the cupholder.... exited the car, manually locked with the key. Works just fine.
No need to leave the fob. It'll keep running without it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
No need to leave the fob. It'll keep running without it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Good point, half asleep, drove my wife to work, but my remote was at home, hers in her purse. Got a signal on the dash, no remote when she left, but the engine was still running.

Was going to make a stop, but if I turned off the engine would not start again, so went straight home.

Yes, the engine will remain running without the remote in the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts