Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Accent GLS with 99K miles. Since the day I bought it (used), it's had a slightly rough idle - especially when the A/C is on. When I go up steep or long hills, I get a check engine light with a "knock sensor" code. I've had the knock sensor code about six or seven times in the past three years that goes off within a day or two.

Also, the A/C light flickers when the car's idling.
Recently, it's been burning a lot of oil and the exhaust area sounds like it's puttering a bit loud.

Three days ago, I took it in for an oil change, A/C recharge, and spark plug change.
I was able to drive in town about 40 miles and then I had a flashing check engine light come on.

Any ideas or has anyone experienced similar issues and can say what the problem/resolution was for their car?

This is my first Hyundai and possibly my last, too.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Knock code (0326).... PCM Update for 0326 DTC Logic

Flashing MIL,, something occurring will severely damage catalyst,, common is misfire, while common comes down to coil or multiple coils being at fault..

DONT DRIVE with flashing MIL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ignition Coil #2

Fried ignition coil #2 was the culprit.

I just need the car to run for at least another six months. Do you recommend a fuel system cleaning or timing belt change at 99K miles? Any aftermarket recommended brands for ignition coils?

My car is getting fixed at an an independent shop. They said they get parts from O'Reillys.

Also, how do I go about getting PCM update?

Thanks!

·
Registered
786 Posts
4 cylinder engines always rough idle, the idle will get worse as the engine mounts age. That is unrelated to engine knock. Many things can cause engine knock, but since you drive an accent, using regular fuel isn't one of them. Driving up a hill would be an expected scenario for an engine knock to occur. trying googling the causes of engine knock and troubleshoot from there.

Is only your A/C light flickering, or are other lights flickering as well?

Why did you recharge your A/C?

What was the error code when your check engine light started blinking again?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know the error code because it's at the mechanic.
But he said ignition coil 2 is bad, which I agree with.

I had the shop refill the A/C because of the flickering A/C light. I assumed the refrigerant was empty. Now I know all the problems I'm having are likely related to this common ignition coil problem.

Again, anyone have recommendations/experience with aftermarket ignition coils?
At what point should I clean the fuel system?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Do you recommend a fuel system cleaning or timing belt change at 99K miles?

The Accent engine uses a timing chain which doesn't need replacing. There is a serpentine belt that drives the water pump and alternator. You might want to change that if it's frayed or missing chunks.

For fuel system cleaning, Hyundai has a cleaner that they recommend. Not sure what it is.. Perhaps someone here can help.

And.. For a PCM flash, you'll need to drop by a Hyundai dealer.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't know the error code because it's at the mechanic.
But he said ignition coil 2 is bad, which I agree with.

I had the shop refill the A/C because of the flickering A/C light. I assumed the refrigerant was empty. Now I know all the problems I'm having are likely related to this common ignition coil problem.

Again, anyone have recommendations/experience with aftermarket ignition coils?
At what point should I clean the fuel system?
A/C shouldn't need a refill unless you know that the refrigerant leaked out, the flickering light is not a sign that you're low on refrigerant.

As for fuel system cleaning, you shouldn't need one if you use top tier gas. Top tier gas and premier grade fuel are not the same thing. If you aren't using top tier, then you can use a techron fuel system cleaner or any other generic fuel system cleaner every 5-10K miles. The stuff hyundai sells is the techron fuel system cleaner with a hyundai label and a few extra dollars on the sale.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts