Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OKAY. SO. Very scared right now that I may have voided my warranty, as I’m currently without regular employment and in debt no less.

Mobile, AL just got its first rain in weeks, and I got stuck out in it as the roads began to flood. The road ahead and behind me at one point got clogged up with traffic and began to flood in a matter of minutes. In order to get the car to high ground, I had to wade through a flooded service road for a few seconds (more than five, less than fifteen, for sure) at around 5mph, and lost traction in the process of doing so before hitting the uphill swing. It felt like the car was floating, though no water seeped inside the cabin.

When I checked the engine bay after the storm, there was no water visible on the top or sides of the engine block or its plastics, but it was visible on the bottom end, pooled up all on the bottom plastic cover, and splashed to the very top of the firewall in the back, covering the master cylinder, etc.

Engine never stalled while going through the water. Transmission never slipped nor shifted while fording. Kept steady on the throttle and didn’t allow water to come through the exhaust. Drove it for about an hour afterward with no issues. Oil level and appearance checks out same as before. Brake rotors are fine; they didn’t experience shock cooling since they were already cool before hitting the water.

Should I be worried about anything? Transmission fluid? Electronics?

No need to remind me to NOT DRIVE THROUGH A FLOOD. I know. I just didn’t want to see my car float down the boulevard such as one Dodge Dart and a Nissan Sentra were already doing just a couple hundred feet down from me.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Engine shouldn't be a problem as the air intake is high and don't know of any area the water could seep inside, trans I'm too sure about. The trans has a breather tube that is covered, but naturally not sealed, and If it had the conventional dipstick one could check the condition for water penetration e.g. pink fluid, so I would at least open the fill plug and check condition. If found contaminated, the fluid will need to be removed, or changed many times.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Confirmed that the air filter was dry and oil still looks fine next day; thanks for the vote of confidence on that. May avoid replacing the oil, especially since I had it done four days ago.

Two votes for possible transmission fluid contamination and needed change, one for inspection and possible flush. Any other thoughts? Taking it in to a shop in about an hour.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts