Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tha last few cars I have owned have all had a light emitting diode in red to show the car is alarmed.
I know most thiefs probably laugh at these, but my feelings are that, it does act as a bit of a deterrant.
Anyway if your interested, I fitted very easily a flashing LED type to my new i20, in minutes for about £3 and no wiring.
Ebay sell a selection of these things, not sure if I am allowed to put links up on here, so just type dummy alarms into Ebay and a few will come up.
They cost about £1.69 and come with a red and black wire about 10" long.
In my wifes car I went to the trouble of wiring it into the cars electrics, and it comes on automatically when the ignition is switched off.
You need to drill an 8mm hole in a prominent place, I chose the pull down flap on the little cubby hole behind the gear lever.
In this instance, I have it connected to a PP3 battery, 9v and simply put a small rocker switch in the red wire, so I can switch it off when not required.
The battery and switch are seated neatly in the cubby hole, and all you see is the diode light, which looks the business at night.
I don't use it at home, as I feel pretty safe where my car is, but it's very handy if you are parked in a dark carpark or somewhere you feel some idiot might try to break in to the car.
The battery will last for many months used in this way, and you have no drain on the car battery.
A strip of insulation tape, will hold the wires to the battery, and easily changed when the time comes.
Hope this helps to keep your new motor safe, pity Hyundai didn't fit something at production, it's pennys for this.
S.

·
Registered
333 Posts
QUOTE (eye20 @ Jun 13 2010, 07:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332501
Tha last few cars I have owned have all had a light emitting diode in red to show the car is alarmed.
I know most thiefs probably laugh at these, but my feelings are that, it does act as a bit of a deterrant.
Anyway if your interested, I fitted very easily a flashing LED type to my new i20, in minutes for about £3 and no wiring.
Ebay sell a selection of these things, not sure if I am allowed to put links up on here, so just type dummy alarms into Ebay and a few will come up.
They cost about £1.69 and come with a red and black wire about 10" long.
In my wifes car I went to the trouble of wiring it into the cars electrics, and it comes on automatically when the ignition is switched off.
You need to drill an 8mm hole in a prominent place, I chose the pull down flap on the little cubby hole behind the gear lever.
In this instance, I have it connected to a PP3 battery, 9v and simply put a small rocker switch in the red wire, so I can switch it off when not required.
The battery and switch are seated neatly in the cubby hole, and all you see is the diode light, which looks the business at night.
I don't use it at home, as I feel pretty safe where my car is, but it's very handy if you are parked in a dark carpark or somewhere you feel some idiot might try to break in to the car.
The battery will last for many months used in this way, and you have no drain on the car battery.
A strip of insulation tape, will hold the wires to the battery, and easily changed when the time comes.
Hope this helps to keep your new motor safe, pity Hyundai didn't fit something at production, it's pennys for this.
S.
Fitted one on my house alarm didn't need a switch just soldered the wires to the battery, it ran permanently for five years.

Gazza!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (gazza!!! @ Jul 16 2010, 09:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342205
Fitted one on my house alarm didn't need a switch just soldered the wires to the battery, it ran permanently for five years.

Gazza!!!

That's fine Gazza, but you don't really want a flashing red light going at night on the motorway.
S.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts