Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

With everything going on I am trying to save money by doing some maintianence myself. I can do the basics (oil change and filters). My question is what else is easily diy so I can avoid paying the mechanic upcharge. I checked my owners manual but it did not go into great detail regarding fluids in your vehicle.

My vehicle has about 75,000 miles. All that has been done since 26,000 miles are oil changes, filter changes, tires and brakes. have the following questions

Can/Should I change the powersteering, brake, transmission, coolant fluid? If so is there anything specific I need to know that is detrimental to changing out any of those fluids?

If so, do you flush those or drain and replace? I have heard that flushing is not recommended.

What heat # do you use for spark plugs?

Will replacing brake pads with "premium" pads make any difference, or should you also replace the rotors with the same quality to tell a difference?

What other tips or advice do you have for someone trying to save money on repairs/maintenance.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
207 Posts
For the transmission fluid most people here on the forum recommend a drain and fill at 60k miles with the hyundai oem fluid. Powersteering is electric so no maintenance for that. Coolant fluid i would change and use the good stuff not the cheap green fluid. There some threads on which coolant to use if you search. Brake fluid change should be like any other car and should be done due to age. Lastly for brakes i'm a believer in oem rotors with good aftermarket pads like akebono.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hello,

With everything going on I am trying to save money by doing some maintianence myself. I can do the basics (oil change and filters). My question is what else is easily diy so I can avoid paying the mechanic upcharge. I checked my owners manual but it did not go into great detail regarding fluids in your vehicle.

My vehicle has about 75,000 miles. All that has been done since 26,000 miles are oil changes, filter changes, tires and brakes. have the following questions

Can/Should I change the powersteering, brake, transmission, coolant fluid? If so is there anything specific I need to know that is detrimental to changing out any of those fluids?

If so, do you flush those or drain and replace? I have heard that flushing is not recommended.

What heat # do you use for spark plugs?

Will replacing brake pads with "premium" pads make any difference, or should you also replace the rotors with the same quality to tell a difference?

What other tips or advice do you have for someone trying to save money on repairs/maintenance.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
At 60k miles need a coolant and transmission fluid change, drain and refill will suffice, then every 30k miles thereafter. So you're a bit overdue for those. Would recommend a fuel system cleaning/intake valve cleaning every 30k miles also.

·
Registered
172 Posts
All the fluids mentioned should be changed at around that milage. Lots of money to be saved by doing it yourself 🙂

Brake fluid - easy DIY, bleed all brakes atleast every 2 years.

Coolant - easy DIY, lasts 2 to 5 years normally depending on type used.

Transmission fluid - easy DIY, change at 60k (and then evaluate whether it's worth doing again before you get a new car!)

Always use quality manufacture recommended plugs on an engine that has not been modified. The engineers usually know best.

If your engine has a timing belt that has not been replaced I would be swapping that out asap. That can be a fairly involved DIY job though.
I am not familiar with that engine though, it may be chain driven?

·
Registered
458 Posts
If your engine has a timing belt that has not been replaced I would be swapping that out asap. That can be a fairly involved DIY job though.
I am not familiar with that engine though, it may be chain driven?
Definitely timing chain

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,700 Posts
Change the 2 belts based on inspection for wear or cracks or at 100,000 miles . Doing it your self will save you at least $ 200 even if you use Hyundai OEM Belts. Its an easy DIY job, 17 mm wrench for the tensioner on the serpentine belt and the water pump is a stretch belt and can be done using the zip tie method.
Spark plugs on the 2.4 are due at 100,000 and it is a 20 min job tops and again can save you close to $200 over dealer prices

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Best bet is to read the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. If will tell you what should be replaced at what miles and/or time along with the specifications of what to use. Many opinions on what and when things need to be done.

You do not have to use hyundai parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts