Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had the car a few days (270 miles) and today as I'm slowing down from 60mph to make a turn the brakes started grabbing really crazy and engine shut down when I came to a stop, I put it in Park and re-started it (now I'm dumbfounded at this point) and proceed on my way. My next turn is only about another mile up the road and when I come to a stop the brakes and engine act up again but it doesn't shut-down this time so I carefully drive into a nearby empty parking lot to check it out but couldn't find anything wrong. Drove back home (about 40 miles) with no problem, has anyone else experience anything like this? I haven't called the dealer yet but will do so on Monday.

·
Registered
172 Posts
QUOTE (rinkleroot @ Apr 17 2010, 01:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314114
I've only had the car a few days (270 miles) and today as I'm slowing down from 60mph to make a turn the brakes started grabbing really crazy and engine shut down when I came to a stop, I put it in Park and re-started it (now I'm dumbfounded at this point) and proceed on my way. My next turn is only about another mile up the road and when I come to a stop the brakes and engine act up again but it doesn't shut-down this time so I carefully drive into a nearby empty parking lot to check it out but couldn't find anything wrong. Drove back home (about 40 miles) with no problem, has anyone else experience anything like this? I haven't called the dealer yet but will do so on Monday.

OMG absolutly NO WAY!!

Keep me posted on your outcome, I would love to keep my service dept up to date. I haven't had one single issue with the Sonata's apart from the Door lock Recall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (HyundaiDealer @ Apr 17 2010, 01:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314119
OMG absolutly NO WAY!!

Keep me posted on your outcome, I would love to keep my service dept up to date. I haven't had one single issue with the Sonata's apart from the Door lock Recall.

I'll post back when I know something, I'm out of town at the moment so I've got to drive the car 80 miles back home before I can take it to my dealer. I was lucky no one was behind me because they could have plowed into the back of me when the engine shut off.

·
Registered
533 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiDealer @ Apr 17 2010, 01:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314119
OMG absolutly NO WAY!!

Did I miss something? Door lock recall? Maybe I'm not affected by this recall. HyundaiDealer, what if anything have you heard about the horn issue? Do you think there will be a repair campaign or voluntary recall or other fix? Should I take my car into the selling dealer and let them know how disappointing the horn sounds? Do you think HMCA will do anything and how soon do you think it will happen if it does?

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (Bingo Steve @ Apr 17 2010, 05:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314157
Did I miss something? Door lock recall? Maybe I'm not affected by this recall. HyundaiDealer, what if anything have you heard about the horn issue? Do you think there will be a repair campaign or voluntary recall or other fix? Should I take my car into the selling dealer and let them know how disappointing the horn sounds? Do you think HMCA will do anything and how soon do you think it will happen if it does?

What is the issue with the horn?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have 6200 miles on my SE and have never noticed this problem.. sounds like it might be some kind of sensor issue though. Try leaving the battery unplugged for 15+ minutes or so and letting all the computers reset, it might be an easy fix. Let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
As far as the door latch recall your car my not have been affected, it was only a certain number of cars and Hyundai fixed it right away someof the cars got fixed at port.

About the power loss I want you to let me know asap if your local dealership finds an issue so I can inform my service dept so if we have anything happen here we are in the loop.

Good Luck and Happy Hyundai

·
Registered
90 Posts
wow that sounds like a real serious problem..

As for the horns.. you can picture it as Mike Tyson aggressive and intimidating but when he opens his mouth he sounds like a little girl..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow, not had an issue yet. Well the wife got a rock stuck between her pad and rotor and was freaking out but I got her calmed down long enough to listen to me so she could get it out. haha

As far as your issue goes, I would personally take it in and let them take a look at it and get it documented now. Obviously we hope it doesn't happen again but that is certainly not acceptable behavior from any car, much less a brand new one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would take it to the shop. It's hard to believe but any car can have a hiccup, regardless of brand. Good luck and report back to us.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took my Sonata to the dealer today and as I suspected they couldn't find any problems, told me to drive it and bring it back if it happens again, not much else to say except I'm not very comfortable with my new car now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (rinkleroot @ Apr 20 2010, 12:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314992
Took my Sonata to the dealer today and as I suspected they couldn't find any problems, told me to drive it and bring it back if it happens again, not much else to say except I'm not very comfortable with my new car now.
When you have a issue like that, you better not start engine and just give a call your dealer to have them tow your car in. There is a so-called blackbox that records about 20-30 sec of your car activity. So that tech can scan it to see what happen right before your car died. However, all those records must have been overwritten already, and they could not find anything wrong with your car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (meik @ Apr 20 2010, 06:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315088
I
When you have a issue like that, you better not start engine and just give a call your dealer to have them tow your car in. There is a so-called blackbox that records about 20-30 sec of your car activity. So that tech can scan it to see what happen right before your car died. However, all those records must have been overwritten already, and they could not find anything wrong with your car.
I would never leave my car sitting in the road blocking traffic when I can simply re-start it and go on my way, besides I was out of town when it happened and no where near a hyundai dealer. If the blackbox erases its fault codes like you suggest then what good is it?

·
Registered
258 Posts
QUOTE (rinkleroot @ Apr 21 2010, 06:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315221
I would never leave my car sitting in the road blocking traffic when I can simply re-start it and go on my way, besides I was out of town when it happened and no where near a hyundai dealer. If the blackbox erases its fault codes like you suggest then what good is it?
You can call toll free Hyundai Road assistance number and they will dispatch towing - free of charge. They will take your car to the closest dealer for repair. If you are over 150 miles away from home, Hyundai will pickup a bill for your hotel as well.
@black box - like with every black boxes procedure is the same - they are limited in size and nobody is holding data for days...it goes down to minutes or seconds for the cars.

·
Registered
26 Posts

MINE DID THE SAME SORT OF THING YESTERDAY

i was slowing down to come to a stop and i got down to about 10km/h and the guy infront started moving so i hit the gas and the engine went dead, i had to toss it in park and restart the car. i took it straight to my dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with it, however when accelerating my car seems to have trouble changing gears around the 20-30km'h point, it struggles and feels like its going to stall.

they said they are going to put in a claim with head office and see what they can do

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (rinkleroot @ Apr 21 2010, 06:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315221
Basically the device is for their field tech to analyze what causes accident most of time. That is why it keeps the last 20-30 sec of data only. You can find more information about it on your owner's manual.
As ula said, you can use Hyundai Roadside Assistance program. You can look for a triangle window sticker on the rear window of your car.

·
Registered
142 Posts
QUOTE (MattTitleist @ Apr 21 2010, 07:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315265

i was slowing down to come to a stop and i got down to about 10km/h and the guy infront started moving so i hit the gas and the engine went dead, i had to toss it in park and restart the car. i took it straight to my dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with it, however when accelerating my car seems to have trouble changing gears around the 20-30km'h point, it struggles and feels like its going to stall.

they said they are going to put in a claim with head office and see what they can do
Wow. I think I just might take a wait and see approach and not rush into getting the 2011 Sonata. This sounds like a serious issue. Keeps us posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (MattTitleist @ Apr 21 2010, 10:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315265

I went ahead and filed a complaint with ODI (Office of Defects Investigation), you might want to do the same, here's a link to the website https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts