Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, went in to get the first oil change for my wife's new 2013 at Grease Monkey. My intent for this car was to just use conventional oil rather than synthetic. I was told that Hyundai suggests at least a synthetic blend and if I wanted to use conventional oil I'd have to sign a waiver of some sort. Does anyone know if this is true? I looked in the manual and there was a recommended oil, however the term "synthetic" was not stated anywhere that I saw. I went ahead with the blend as suggested - it's the same oil that we ran in our old car and changed it every 5K miles rather than 3K. Maybe I'll just stick with that -- any thoughts?

Other than a broken windshield already at 3500 miles, my wife is loving the car. Getting that replaced soon!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've never heard that before, however I've never bought from Hyundai before my 2013 Elantra is the first Hyundai product. However maybe it's something to do with this NuEngine thing, I'm not due for 3000kms but I may just take it to another shop and get it done and just get my record book stamped for warranty purposes.

·
6,836 Posts
I actually had an opposite experience with my Elantra. I got my very first oil change done at Oil Can Henry's (went to the dealer after that, because I had to go there 3 times to get an oil filter that fit). Anyway, I thought I needed synthetic, and they told me that I did not. Wonder if your guys were right and the guys I talked to were wrong, or whether they're just trying to squeeze more money out of you, or if they're genuinely mistaken. :confused:

:00000732: to the forum, by the way.

·
Registered
245 Posts
:00000732:

so these new cars require at least semi synthetic, and tranny flush at every 50,000 miles, fuel filter every 40,000 miles and engine oil flush is required every other oil change. and there's snake oil which will add 20MPG, hmm what else,,,,

:D seriously kidding :D:D

elantra transmission is life fill(never change unless you race)

·
22,787 Posts
I called Hyundai's "1-800 something or the other" number back when I bought my 2011. Voice on the other end said Hyundai only requires conventional 5w-20 oil. Also that they (Hyumdai) did not recommend synthetic.

I went ahead and put in Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic after reading up on oil properties, synthetics, etc. This website: www.bobistheoilguy.com will give you more info than you ever cared to know.

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The specs for the oil are listed near the back of the manual. Basically any name brand 5W-20 or 30 oil will meet these minimum specs. A 5w-20 blend changed every 5K miles (or 6 months) should be no problem at all. I use full synthetic and run mine a little longer in mileage than that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
So oil changes are every 5k miles or 6 months then for warranty purposes?

had my car for 3 months now and its at just over 2000 miles. got a trip to Nebraska coming up in the begining of October (1800 Miles round trip). Wondering if I should get my first oil change before going or wait until after. Thoughts?

What is the guidelines for warranty purposes in terms of oil changes?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Me personally, on a new vehicle I always change the oil at 1000 miles. To remove "if" any metal particles from the engine breaking-in period.

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts

had my car for 3 months now and its at just over 2000 miles. got a trip to Nebraska coming up in the begining of October (1800 Miles round trip). Wondering if I should get my first oil change before going or wait until after. Thoughts?

Its all in the manual and they actually lists two intervals one for severe service and one for standard but 5K is a safe interval for most vehicles. In this case since this is the factory fill oil I agree with the guys above, change it early. I did mine at 2 months/2K miles and there were little metal bits in the oil as I suspected there would be. You want that stuff out.

Traditionally though road trips are easy on oil compared to daily driving so oil change intervals can often be stretched based on more highway mileage.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The specs for the oil are listed near the back of the manual. Basically any name brand 5W-20 or 30 oil will meet these minimum specs. A 5w-20 blend changed every 5K miles (or 6 months) should be no problem at all. I use full synthetic and run mine a little longer in mileage than that.
How come two different dealership here told me to change it at 5000 KM (3100 miles) or 3 months? during the warranty I do my oil change at the dealer using only Hyundai filter and the recommended Quaker State 5 W 20 for peace of mind. After the warranty is done I may do them myself but with Hyundai filters. I change my oil every 3 months in winter because of cold weather and every 6 months in summer.

If you get the oil changed elsewhere or yourself you must keep the receipts as a proof.

Agreed, I change my oil on a new car at 2500 KM
hello! I didn't know you were a fellow Quebeker ;)

·
Registered
870 Posts
How come two different dealership here told me to change it at 5000 KM (3100 miles) or 3 months? during the warranty I do my oil change at the dealer using only Hyundai filter and the recommended Quaker State 5 W 20 for peace of mind. After the warranty is done I may do them myself but with Hyundai filters. I change my oil every 3 months in winter because of cold weather and every 6 months in summer.
The stealships wants your business!! Warranty or no warranty I do my own oil changes, using the factory filter. I keep all my receipts and a log book.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
The stealships wants your business!! Warranty or no warranty I do my own oil changes, using the factory filter. I keep all my receipts and a log book.
My girlfriend only takes her car (2004 Acent) to go to work, lots of city driving, since she doesn't drive the 5000 miles I do her oil change at least 3 times a year. A dealer told me that oil is the junk filter of an engine, water condensation goes in the oil, gas not burnt properly, from cold start etc. goes in the oil so I don't like the idea of changing the oil every 6 months on her car. I don't have a garage so I prefer to have my oil changed at the dealer, espacialy in winter.

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
Those are old recommendations for oil changes but most places still use them because its good for revenue. Modern engines and improved petroleum products have stretched oil change intervals a bit more. Your owners manual has all of the info you need, chapter 7. Online manual here

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Thanks for the manual someguy. I think I should use the severe usage conditions. I do lots of city driving. Lots of iddling at red lights, lots of stop and go traffic, driving short distances etc. The manual says EVERY 3,750 MILES (6,000 KM) OR 6 MONTHS ( Repeatedly driving short distance of less than 5 miles (8 km) in normal temperature or less than 10 miles (16 km) in freezing temperature) (Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather) (Frequently driving in stop-and-go condition) I don't do much highway driving so I will use the severe conditions maintenance.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Xion, I know you want to follow the manual using the oil that's recommended. But under your driving conditions, I would suggest using Synthetic oil.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts