Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first Amsoil oil and filter change on my SEL today at 3,100 miles and also installed a Fumoto valve while at it. Good for a year now.
The drain plug came off easily with just a tap with a rubber mallet on the wrench, but the filter was on ridiculously tight from the factory. Took a little muscle but all went smoothly and the access ports and positioning of the drain plug and filter are really easy to access.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Be warned, my Hyundai dealership told me that a Fumoto valve would void the new engine warranty on my vehicle. As ridiculous as it sounds, I figured best to warn you if you need engine work under warranty that it may in your interest to remove any "mods" such as a Fumoto valve or non-Hyundai approved air in your tires.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I would love to know how a Fumoto valve could void the warranty? maybe if it opened in error somehow but really. Nice court case. Not exactly a performance mod we are talking about. Been runnning these valves for 20 years in multiple vehicles, never an issue. One on my Elantra for past 6 years now.

Now, I would be more concerned with the implied intent (good for a year now) of running the Amsoil for a year, that would probably void the warranty IMO. Please, please, do not ever believe an oil company's claim (like Amsoil's) to cover any repairs, useless, only the manufacturer's is what counts and going a year on the oil, up to 25,000 will void that Hyundai warranty!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey, I use them on all of my vehicles for at least the past 11 years myself. I'm just repeating what I was told and not necessarily agreeing with it.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Just curious, what did all that Amsoil stuff cost you 70 or 80 bucks?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Change your Amsoil according to Hyundai's required oil change schedule. Your car engine warranty can be considered void and dead if there is a problem. After out of warranty do what you want. Just sayin.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would love to know how a Fumoto valve could void the warranty? maybe if it opened in error somehow but really. Nice court case. Not exactly a performance mod we are talking about. Been runnning these valves for 20 years in multiple vehicles, never an issue. One on my Elantra for past 6 years now.

Now, I would be more concerned with the implied intent (good for a year now) of running the Amsoil for a year, that would probably void the warranty IMO. Please, please, do not ever believe an oil company's claim (like Amsoil's) to cover any repairs, useless, only the manufacturer's is what counts and going a year on the oil, up to 25,000 will void that Hyundai warranty!!!!!!!!!!

If he is the USA I disagree that using Amsoil will void an engine warranty. We have the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act The oil he is using is, I almost for sure ( I don't have a manual in front of me) an approved ACEA oil for his 2.0 liter. I know for sure Amsoil 5w-30 is approved for my 1.6T motor that is ACEA A5/B5 and Amsoil is approved for that spec. . I think Hyundai approved 5w-30 for the 2.0 so he would be ok with Amsoil 5w-30 also.

I have 2 relatives that work at the largest Audi and one at the largest Lexus dealers in Minnesota and they never void the warranty on oil. They check the oil if it is red (ATF) and they check if it smells like gear oil or is overly thick. They also look at oil level if the block doesn't have a hole in it. Otherwise it gets warrantied.

I see here that Canada Hyundai wants oil records to see if the motor would be sludged up. They also want to charge you $800-$1,000 to pull the motor apart if you don't have records to see if it sludged up. Well SORRY Hyundai, for one I see nowhere in my sales contract or was ever told I need to keep oil change records to maintain an engine warranty. Then add to the fact it costs $100 to R&R the valve cover and there you can see 100% of an engine's "sludge health"just by looking at the cylinder heads galley's. Case closed. And mind you, IF it ever comes to that you DEMAND to be there on the valve cover pull and take picture right after the cover comes off with no flash and with flash. For your records.

We also have the option on the 1.6T to use 5w-40 and Hyundai states zero oil specs for the oil, so any 5w-40 is ok.

As far as Amsoil warranty for a Hyundai ....good luck when 11 to 14% of Hyundai engine tank from Hyundai's bad designed/manufactured engines, Amsoil would not warranty it because you have almost 100% chance it is a Hyundai "F'up" by design/manufacturing problem that has been going on for 8 plus years and there are still happening to date. There is no other brand other then Hyundai or Kia that have 200 cars "ongoing" filtering in as others go out, waiting for new motors at large metropolitan dealers, where Honda and Lexus will have 5 to 10 all year at worst.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I did not state using Amsoil will void the warranty,. Going beyond what is in the manual for an OCI in one year will!! Amsoil states one year or 25,000 which ever comes first, Hyundai does not state that, it states XXX miles and you exceed that by a large marging and IMO you can kiss your warranty goodbye, the Magnussen Moss Act is useless if you exceed the OCI in the manual IMO. The oil may not be the cause of the problem but going 20,000 miles on an oil change and then attempting a warranty claim. you can spend the next 5 years in court, good luck.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I did not state using Amsoil will void the warranty,. Going beyond what is in the manual for an OCI in one year will!! Amsoil states one year or 25,000 which ever comes first, Hyundai does not state that, it states XXX miles and you exceed that by a large marging and IMO you can kiss your warranty goodbye, the Magnussen Moss Act is useless if you exceed the OCI in the manual IMO. The oil may not be the cause of the problem but going 20,000 miles on an oil change and then attempting a warranty claim. you can spend the next 5 years in court, good luck.

This!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just curious, what did all that Amsoil stuff cost you 70 or 80 bucks?
The filter is $15.40 and oil is $7.20 a quart. I happen to have an '11 Sonata hybrid that uses the same weight oil and same filter as the Kona, so I always have oil and filters on hand.
I have been using Amsoil since I bought my '99 Hyundai Accent, driving about 35,000+ miles a year with my 150 mile a day commute. I used to have to do an oil change every month at first until a friend who had a similar commute told me about it and I have been using it ever since in all my vehicles. Got over 206,000 miles on that Accent and was still running great when I sold it to a friend at work who's new-driver daughter smacked it up a short time later. I used it in every vehicle I have bought since then, and now that I no longer have that long commute and only do between 10,000-12,000 miles on each vehicle we own, I get a full year out of each of my oil and filter changes.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which Fumoto Valve fits the Kona?
F106N, it's in my first picture. Doesn't have to be the "N" model though, I just got that model because of the long nipple to slide a hose over it when draining if I want to do so. There are a few that you can choose from on their site:

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/N-type-Fumoto-Engine-Oil-Drain-Valves/?target=model_product&modelId=587700

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/N-type-Fumoto-Engine-Oil-Drain-Valves/?target=model_product&modelId=587701

·
Registered
301 Posts
I actually use ez drain valves now. Had a fumoto shear on me when installing it and haven't had that happen with any of the ez drain valves. Also like the fact that the ez drain valve has an o-ring seal in a recessed slot on base of it while the fumoto appears to have a paper/cardboard washer which may eventually leak.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to know, I have had great success in my '11 Sonata hybrid and '15 Odyssey van using the Fumoto valves so far without any leakage fortunately. Hopefully it will be trouble free on the Kona.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Personally i have had no luck with both ez-drain and fumoto valves in the past. On my 94 miata with a new oil pan, the fumoto leaked. On my 08 sentra se-r the ez-drain valve leaked through the top where the handle/spring segment is. On a side note, i use 5w40 synthetic oil in my 1.6l kona.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does having the fumoto valve oriented towards the back get oil on the plastic cover when you first open it? Has everyone who has installed a fumoto valve had the valve pointing towards the back? Or is it different for other people?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does having the fumoto valve oriented towards the back get oil on the plastic cover when you first open it? Has everyone who has installed a fumoto valve had the valve pointing towards the back? Or is it different for other people?
No problems getting oil on the plastic, especially it you use plastic tubing and direct it exactly where you want it to go...the drain will always point to the back in the Kona..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts