Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been having this issue with my stereo....turn on the car and it goes on the fritz...there was a post about it a while ago and at that time it had only happened once to me. Well last week I started the car and the stereo didnt come on...no lights, no display, no power...I restarted the car, pulled the fuse, nothing. I had to get to work so I drove in silence until 10mins into my commute it just started working again...wierd right? Anyway, I called, explained this to the dealer and made an appointment. To my utter shock they actually just replaced the stereo!! Every other time I've had an issue they argued with me and then had to order the part and required me to go back again...pain in the butt! This time they just fixed it and had the stereo in stock...very happy!!

I have noticed this new stereo is different then the original....for instance the blue tooth has different command menus, there are "favorites" for most dial numbers, and now I can't use the bass booster when listening to the radio. There must have been a few updates I guess over the last year.

Was happy I finally had a good dealer experience at least!!

·
22,793 Posts
Great story. Nothing sucks more than being in your car with no radio. Glad to hear the positive experience with the dealer.

Sorta OT: I often wonder who came up with this idea of installing radios into vehicles? Some husband/engineer that tired of hearing his wife's constant yak, yak, yak en route to church on Sunday mornings? The former jock that wanted to hear his Alma Mater play on the gridiron while traveling? A former mental hospital patient tired of listening to all the voices in their head? Who knows? We benefited from somebody's brain scheme.

Love that Atlantic Blue color, Mully!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Glad that they took care of you. There have been a couple stories on the MD forum that made me think there's a new PR directive, maybe due to new management. The warranty is a stellar selling point for Hyundai, but worthless if they get the reputation of pushing back on repairs. I have read about radio changes for the sedan, I think you're the first to report GT changes.

Rich's musings about car radio origins had me taking a quick look, which sent me far beyond memory lane. Here's one link with pictures of early radio setups. I bemoan the poster's scanner, but the pictures are fascinating. They didn't worry about hiding wires back then. Seeing the diagram of where to put your DIY radio, I really appreciate the safety advances. That picture gives new meaning to rollover safety, a point the saleswoman made when I test drove the GT (37% more heavy steel). Imagine being trapped in your car, upside down, battery acid dripping on you. We've come as long way. I was also awestruck at the idea of a 40,000 mile tour. Elsewhere, I read the car radio is how Motorola got its name, from 'motorized victrola'.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/first_car_radios_history_and_development_of_early_car_radios.html

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love that Atlantic Blue color, Mully!
Thanks Okie....I do love my blue cars....i think this is my 6th blue car. And my Miata is the same color. Im glad i got the atlantic blue as i dont like new windy sea blue on the 2014.

Good flashback to radio's in car heritage!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts