Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just got a new 2013 Accent 6 speed manual. Love it but one thing concerns me. When I am disengaging the clutch and giving gas to get the car going, there is some vibration and feedback that just doesn't feel right. It is as if I learning to drive stick again and I am not shifting smoothly. This only happens going into 1st gear from a stop.

When I first drove the car I just assumed that I would get the feel of it but it seems like a little more than that. Is anyone else having the same issue? Is this normal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Sounds like you have little experience with a clutch, and expect too much out of it. The downside to that is you probably will ruin it. You have to tease it to go, not dump it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think you just have to get used to it and give the car some time to get broke in.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you are not sure if it's normal, go back to the dealer and test drive any other car with a stick. Preferably another Accent if they have one. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I agree. Give it time to get used to it. I've been driving a stick for years and even a few years drag racing a stick. To me, the clutch engages way too high. It is something you will get used to or perhaps the pedal can be adjusted so the it engages earlier, which there ia already another thread posted on that.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If there is nothing particularly wrong with your car, you may be "disoriented" by the effect of the Accent's clutch pedal sensor. This is a position sensor that tells the car's throttle control electronics if you've just shifted. If you look up under the dash and follow the clutch pedal upwards you'll find a set of wire and a connector that plugs into a box around the hinge of the pedal. It comes in from the left side. The throttle control overrides the gas pedal input based on the input of this sensor, inducing a lag in the gas feed following shifts that many people find undesirable. For one thing it gives weird, numb "feedback" to the driver because things you might expect to happen based on your inputs don't happen.

Pull this plug out and the car will now behave more like a normal manual transmission. It will be more sensitive and demand better timing from you on shifts, but it will give you greater control. Also, you will not see upshift indicators on your dash when this plug is out, but you should ignore those anyway as they are set way too low. If you have cruise control, it will no longer work. Reversing the modification is as simple as plugging the connector back into the clutch pedal.

you can read more about it here:
Found the fix for the shift lag - Upper/Lower clutch switches. So amazing.

This may not be what is "wrong" with your car's clutch, but I'll say this much - the clutch gave me fits until I did this.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If there is nothing particularly wrong with your car, you may be "disoriented" by the effect of the Accent's clutch pedal sensor. This is a position sensor that tells the car's throttle control electronics if you've just shifted. If you look up under the dash and follow the clutch pedal upwards you'll find a set of wire and a connector that plugs into a box around the hinge of the pedal. It comes in from the left side. The throttle control overrides the gas pedal input based on the input of this sensor, inducing a lag in the gas feed following shifts that many people find undesirable. For one thing it gives weird, numb "feedback" to the driver because things you might expect to happen based on your inputs don't happen.

Pull this plug out and the car will now behave more like a normal manual transmission. It will be more sensitive and demand better timing from you on shifts, but it will give you greater control. Also, you will not see upshift indicators on your dash when this plug is out, but you should ignore those anyway as they are set way too low. If you have cruise control, it will no longer work. Reversing the modification is as simple as plugging the connector back into the clutch pedal.

you can read more about it here:
Found the fix for the shift lag - Upper/Lower clutch switches. So amazing.

This may not be what is "wrong" with your car's clutch, but I'll say this much - the clutch gave me fits until I did this.
That's some great information. Personally, I think this clutch is one of the easiest and most forgiving ( if a bit numb ) that I've driven in 25 years of nothing but manuals. I think the more annoying thing for me is the "over rev" that the engine management generates to keep up the rpms after you shift. If that can be modified by pulling this connector then that would be great. This "over rev" / "lag" is a common thing in many economy cars and definitely isn't specific to Hyundai or the Accent.

·
Registered
660 Posts
That's some great information. Personally, I think this clutch is one of the easiest and most forgiving ( if a bit numb ) that I've driven in 25 years of nothing but manuals. I think the more annoying thing for me is the "over rev" that the engine management generates to keep up the rpms after you shift. If that can be modified by pulling this connector then that would be great. This "over rev" / "lag" is a common thing in many economy cars and definitely isn't specific to Hyundai or the Accent.
Even my old 2006 Civic Si had the dreaded rev hang and it was supposed to be a sporty driver's car. Had to fix that with ECU tuning.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Really? I'm surprised and maybe not surprised that even the Civic Si gets this ailment. If car makers have to get their average fleet highway mpg over 50 by 2025 ( I think it is ) then I can see them throwing everything and the kitchen sink at fuel economy even for performance cars until everything is electric. My guess is that'll be well after 2025. Get ready for the diesel / electric with gerbil wheels.

If just unhooking the right connector under the dash modifies the shift controls so it's more "normal" and it's a smooth conversion that I can just reconnect when I want...then I gotta give Hyundai credit.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
its hard to tell from the drawings on hmaservice.com (and the fact that my IE won't display it quite right.) but it looks like the clutch release cylinder may have a spring flow restrictor like the older accents. its a small spring and plate put into the fluid inlet designed to slow down the fluid a tad - slips the clutch a little to allow newer manual drivers to shift easier.

tossed mine out years ago :D

maybe someone can confirm, but this might explain why it feels so different to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are not sure if it's normal, go back to the dealer and test drive any other car with a stick. Preferably another Accent if they have one. Let us know what you find.
I took it in today and the mechanic thought that it was excessive clutch chatter. His guess is that they will have to replace the flywheel. They are going to spend a few days opening up the transmission.

I'll keep everyone posted on what they find. I thought I was crazy, everyone was telling me it's normal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I took it in today and the mechanic thought that it was excessive clutch chatter. His guess is that they will have to replace the flywheel. They are going to spend a few days opening up the transmission.

I'll keep everyone posted on what they find. I thought I was crazy, everyone was telling me it's normal.

Thanks!
If the clutch is chattering, why are they going to get into the transmission?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the clutch is chattering, why are they going to get into the transmission?
I have no idea what I am talking about. My mind takes the key words I hear and strings them together. I could be way off. I will update with the official diagnosis when I get it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You have to take the transmission off of the motor to get to the clutch...[/QUOTe

I think there is a failure to communicate, the OP said they were going to "OPEN" up the transmission. I originally took that to mean disassemble the transmission, there would be no need to "open" or disassemble the transmission to replace any or all of the clutch assembly, flywheel included. I think now, he meant to say that they are going to remove the clutch, flywheel and associated items, which of course is between the motor and transmission. cheers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I grew up driving notchy vw stickshifts and it was always 2nd nature to me. My last car was an auto and it took me a while to get used to driving this car smoothly. Probably like 10k before I got used to the nuances of it. It has a fairly clunky shift action imo with long throws and the clutch modulation is not the most supple either and also has a very long pedal travel. I can remember wondering the same thing, but I'm used to it now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First gear take off

Hi, I have just purchased the same vehicle and is the same feeling as my last Hyundai Getz, This vehicle has a Duel Mass Flywheel that allows it to take up the slack in the clutch when taking off to avoid clutch shudder, You will find the it is normal and will just take a little time to get use to.
Hope this helps.
kind regards Brian.:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts