Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just filled up for the first time and my comp says 379 miles to empty... anyone else getting such a low number?? I thought it would be closer to 425 because at least that be using the 23 mpg in the city we're supposed to be getting. Can anyone ease my mind here??

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
it will always be different...it will also change as you begin to drive on this tank. ifyou get on the highway..and start pulling 34 mpg....your miles to empty will jump to over 400....

besides, it's an estimate...i wouldn't wait until you were at 323 miles before looking for a filling station!

·
Registered
349 Posts
That 23 city is an EPA rating and most likely not achievable in average stop and go city traffic. A lot of factors play into the mpg rating and that number is almost never correct. When the test is performed it is don't in a wind tunnel in highly controlled environments not real life driving.

I drive a lot of short trips (only 4 miles to work) and around town I'm still on my 1st tank filled by the dealer and I'm using active eco and watching for the eco light so I can get a feel for how to drive the car to get the best mpg. I'm staying around 19 mpg average and I'm fine with that number since I'm coming from a Jeep that was getting 11 mpg average. :unsure:

All I'm saying is you can never go by the EPA rated MPG on any car its basically there as a sales pitch.

Just stay off the go pedal and you will be fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i can't recall if mine was ever that low, but, if you floored it right out of the station, then the mpg might be wrong? or if the station wasn't level, you may have a "partial" fill up (16g insteat of 18 or w/e) other than that, no clue.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The 24/35 rating on this car is crap. I'm getting 22, and drive it like a grandpa. With this stupid car resetting the cumulative gas mileage after every fill-up, the computer must revert to some kind of fixed initial mileage number to calculate range, and adjust it as 'avg mpg' accumulates. Therefore, don't pay too much attention to 'range' until you're at least past 1/2 tank. The good news is you should easily get 400 miles on a tank on the highway, even at elevated speeds.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Oct 26 2010, 05:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366527
The 24/35 rating on this car is crap. I'm getting 22, and drive it like a grandpa. With this stupid car resetting the cumulative gas mileage after every fill-up, the computer must revert to some kind of fixed initial mileage number to calculate range, and adjust it as 'avg mpg' accumulates. Therefore, don't pay too much attention to 'range' until you're at least past 1/2 tank. The good news is you should easily get 400 miles on a tank on the highway, even at elevated speeds.
i'm getting over 27 mpg...with 3000 on the odometer...with a best of 37 avg. i did reach 41.3, with an avg of 39.? on a 60 mile trip between KC and Lawrence, KS.

·
1,914 Posts
When I purchased the car, I had 374 miles until empty. My second fill up said 379, and my third fill up which was yesterday said 369 and I topped it off. My gas mileage was also 2 mpgs better. I think I can easily get 400 miles out of a tank and i do about 60% city driving.

I do hate how the mpg's reset after each fill up.

·
Registered
564 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Oct 26 2010, 06:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366527
I easily average 27+mpg in everyday mixed driving (car has 6,700 miles on it.) Just filled up tonight after driving 375 miles Fuel gauge still showed 1/4 tank remaining. The computer indicated 100 miles to empty when I pulled in to fill up...so that is approximately 475 miles on one tank. After fill-up, the computer said 420 miles to empty.

Drove 4 miles home, average speed was 27mph, and the display indicated 26mpg.

Took a highway trip a few months back. Averaged 32mpg at 65mph and would have easily been able to go 500 miles on one tank.

For me the EPA rating seems reasonably achievable.

·
Registered
141 Posts
EPA only tests 10-15% of all vehicles sold.
MPG figures are generated by the manufactures under EPA guidelines.
All vehicles are tested on a dynometer that is programed with the weight and the coefficient of drag.
Exhaust gasses are analyzed for carbon content to produce the fuel burned ( which I read was very accurate).
So unless your vehicle is one of the few tested , your MPG is a manufacturer's statement.
Have you ever noticed the TV ads lately ?
Almost overnight most the domestics are claiming over 30PMPG highway.
According to Edmond's ,Consumers Report and Greencar ,these are false statements.
GM is the biggest culprit with mileage figures of almost 4MPG high on its CUVs.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The displayed fuel economy isn't really that accurate. The best way is to hand calculate your mileage. I have been averaging 19.5-21 on 3 tanks. But I have a heavy right foot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Oct 26 2010, 06:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366527
I went to Manchester Vt from Toronto 900 Km (562 Mi) used 15 gallons. I got 38 mpg US. And that was going up and down through the Adirondacks. I thought it was pretty good. What impressed me most that the cost was only $44 USD.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My Sonata GLS which I picked up in late June has approx. 4200 miles and I do 95% city driving and I have been getting anywhere between 27-29 miles per gallon and if I perform some highway driving then I am looking at 29-31 miles per gallon. I use the car MPG computer as a toy, but on occassion I will take the gallons filled up into miles driven for a sure bet. I also do not use great gas all the time like Shell, Conaco, Diamond Shamrock, but instead gas at Safeway and King Soopers (loaf n jug.)

·
Registered
854 Posts
When I first got my car I was getting 25 mpg but I was also driving it alot harder, i'm now shifting a lot earlier and now i'm getting about 28-29 mpg.

Some people think they drive like a grandpa but really they still push it too hard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts