Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Sante Fe V6 oil check at 2987 miles is a quart low. I'm not alarmed just curious if other owners seen a quart of oil consumption this soon. Maybe it's just the break in period I have not checked for a leak. My other vehicles use a quart about every 6-8000 miles.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
My '10 only has 1700 miles on it so far and my old Santa Fe (an '04 model) only consumed oil once. It went down half a quart but it did so right at 3,000 miles (I change my oil every 5k).

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
My SF is pretty oil-tight, but some consumption is okay... even desirable. My Nissan Quest 3.5 consumed more oil than what you describe. Most automakers allow a quart every 1,000 to 2,000 miles in their warranty documentation.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I go 6-7K miles between oil changes on my 2008 2.7L. It always amazes me that exactly what I put in, comes out. Almost like I'd like to see it consume *a little*. My 2008 Honda 3.5L is the same way. OTOH, we've had newer VW and Isuzu products in the family that could consume oil at an alarming rate (w/ no leaks), with no obvious signs.

Joel

·
Registered
501 Posts
My '08 uses no oil. Not detectable anyway. My last vehicle, which one of my daughters still drives, also uses no oil. It's a 2003 CRV with now over 200K Km's on it. Practically zero oil consumption. Another daughter has a 2003 Escape. Again, no oil consumption.

So I'm spoiled. Would expect that from every vehicle.

A quart in less than 3000 miles? I don't know...................... :crying:

·
Registered
313 Posts
QUOTE (trucker @ Oct 20 2010, 07:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364780
Great question. Wouldn't be the first time this has happened.
My last three Fe's were delivered with the oil midway between the high and low mark, the third one a 2010 model that I now run has covered 4,500K and the oil level is still in the same position, I think it's done deliberately at the factory, lets face it a litre of high spec oil saved on each vehicle would save many thousands of pounds over a year, the dealership should top it up on the pre inspection service I mentioned it to my dealers service manager and he promptly handed me a litre free gratis, needless to say it's still on my garage shelf as the oil level hasn't dropped any further, none of these cars used enough oil between services to notice.

Gazza!!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Oct 18 2010, 10:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364253
My SF is pretty oil-tight, but some consumption is okay... even desirable. My Nissan Quest 3.5 consumed more oil than what you describe. Most automakers allow a quart every 1,000 to 2,000 miles in their warranty documentation.
That's insane. I don't know of oil consumption ever being considered "desirable" and allowable. Maybe on the older American made cars it was a "feature" (aka a mechanical blunder that was only said to be ok because they had no answer for it and it became a social norm). Nowadays, however, oil consumption is a thing of the past. No car that I've owned in the last 20 years had any type of oil consumption. And that includes 2 Mitsubishi's, 2 Nissans, a Ford, and a Hyundai.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yeah I'd say a quart in 3000 miles is too much. It's probably not out of "normal" per the manual etc, but I see no loss in my '08 or my '05 Tiburon. My guess is it was down to start with.

Keep in mind between the low and full marks on the dipstick is one quart (in the US anyway). So if some of yours came halfway between that would only be half a quart low.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
QUOTE (Upthewazzu @ Oct 20 2010, 11:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364842
That's insane. I don't know of oil consumption ever being considered "desirable" and allowable. Maybe on the older American made cars it was a "feature" (aka a mechanical blunder that was only said to be ok because they had no answer for it and it became a social norm). Nowadays, however, oil consumption is a thing of the past. No car that I've owned in the last 20 years had any type of oil consumption. And that includes 2 Mitsubishi's, 2 Nissans, a Ford, and a Hyundai.
Gotcha beat... 1 Pontiac, 2 Hondas, 7 Nissans, 1 Hyundai, and a partridge in a pear tree - over the past 25 years. All four cylinder cars were oil-tight, but both Nissan Quest V6 models (a 1997 VG30DE and 2004 VQ35DE) used a litre or so between oil changes. The Pontiac V8 was, of course, horrendous.

While it might fall outside of the average owner's experience, adding a litre of oil between changes is hardly "insane". It happens on one out of every ___ cars, especially V6 and V8 models which have more moving parts, more seals, more gaskets, and more rings.

·
Registered
398 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Oct 20 2010, 01:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364925
Gotcha beat... 1 Pontiac, 2 Hondas, 7 Nissans, 1 Hyundai, and a partridge in a pear tree - over the past 25 years. All four cylinder cars were oil-tight, but both Nissan Quest V6 models (a 1997 VG30DE and 2004 VQ35DE) used a litre or so between oil changes. The Pontiac V8 was, of course, horrendous.

While it might fall outside of the average owner's experience, adding a litre of oil between changes is hardly "insane". It happens on one out of every ___ cars, especially V6 and V8 models which have more moving parts, more seals, more gaskets, and more rings.
Congrats, I guess :trophy:

Of the cars I mentioned only one was a 4-banger (Lancer). The others were V6's (2 Diamante's, a Pathfinder, and the Santa Fe) and a V8 (1, the Ford). None of those had any noticeable oil consumption. Surely it can happen, but it's certainly not the norm, nor should it be treated as such. Nissan VQ motors are notorious for slurping oil by the barrel. They shouldn't be used to describe the "norm".

EDIT: just noticed that my initial count should have been 3 Mitsu, not 2.

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (gazza!!! @ Oct 20 2010, 10:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364808
My last three Fe's were delivered with the oil midway between the high and low mark, the third one a 2010 model that I now run has covered 4,500K and the oil level is still in the same position, I think it's done deliberately at the factory, lets face it a litre of high spec oil saved on each vehicle would save many thousands of pounds over a year, the dealership should top it up on the pre inspection service I mentioned it to my dealers service manager and he promptly handed me a litre free gratis, needless to say it's still on my garage shelf as the oil level hasn't dropped any further, none of these cars used enough oil between services to notice.

Gazza!!!
They may be allowing some freeboard for the oil level to rise because of problems with DPF regeneration. See the linked article about this phenomenon, particularly in the UK where biodiesel is now 7% of the fuel that you purchase.

http://www.stocksy.co.uk/articles/Cars/die...d_consequences/

I have a Volvo diesel and am also watching out for rising oil levels.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I checked my oil today after a 20 minute drive. I waited 6 minutes before checking and it was a bit down on the dipstick (down 1/4 qt). I went back 30 minutes later and it was a hair above full. Sometimes it's better to wait awhile before checking-these bigger engines take awhile to completely drain into the bottom. I believe this to be the correct way to get a true reading as long as the temperature is constant. It was about 82 degrees both times I checked the oil.
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts