Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fwiw-firestone has a coupon for 40 bucks off lifetime alignment. dunno what that totals out to, but it might be a good deal for all them awd cars out there.

·
Registered
941 Posts
good deal in general if you have competent people doing your alignment. and if you can ever get scheduled. over the years i've heard random complaints about firestone but only ever been myself once. an alignment typically costs between 80-120 so this deal for $50 off is a no brainer.. if you trust firestone.

LIFETIME ALIGNMENT
INTERNET PRICE FROM
$189.99
GET THIS INTERNET PRICE
Inspect steering and suspension system
Put vehicle on alignment rack, mount and compensate sensors
Adjust camber, caster, and toe angles
12-month / 12,000-mile limited warranty
Road test vehicle
Print out initial alignment readings
Print out final alignment readings to verify alignment is within specification
In addition to everything offered in the Standard Alignment service:

Provide a Lifetime Warranty* on the alignment, which means we'll set alignment angles on your vehicle every 6,000 miles or whenever needed, free of charge, for as long as you own it.
* See your auto advisor for complete terms and conditions of written limited warranties.
Most Vehicles. Subject to in-store equipment availability and employee qualifications to align vehicle. Stores may not be able to perform alignments on vehicles with steering/suspensions altered from manufacturer's specifications. Please call store to confirm if you have any questions.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It is worth while to get a complete alignment check once, just to see what the overall numbers are. Be sure to get a printout for later reference. However, since the only alignment adjustment that can easily be performed on the Elantra is the front toe, none of the other items will be adjusted. So, for the Elantra, you do not need a fancy alignment. All you need is the front toe set.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is worth while to get a complete alignment check once, just to see what the overall numbers are. Be sure to get a printout for later reference. However, since the only alignment adjustment that can easily be performed on the Elantra is the front toe, none of the other items will be adjusted. So, for the Elantra, you do not need a fancy alignment. All you need is the front toe set.
so, what are you saying? that it's gonna be cheaper? because it aint

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have life time alignment on my cars thru Firestone. Always have. But more recent cars have limited ajustability and they still charge you full price for what we older people call a "4 wheel alignment". Back in the day there were two tiers - 2 wheel alignment and 4 wheel alignment. One was like 1/2 the cost of the other.

Now it seems more like a cash grab. If you can't adjust it, why are you charging for it?

I'm somewhat surprised that the only adjustment on the Elantra is the front toe. I have been considering putting this car under the same warranty as my other older cars but even on sale the work done is pretty expensive for what they do. I'm not knocking Firestone as I'm sure this is an industry shift and not just them. If I can get a TOE check and adjustment from another garage for $50, I would consider paying this other a lifetime warranty I may get the full benefit from.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It is worth calling around to see if you can negotiate a cheaper price to have them just check and adjust the front toe. My Hyundai dealer has a quick alignment check in the drive up waiting area. They will check it for free. Some alignment shops will check your alignment for free.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is worth calling around to see if you can negotiate a cheaper price to have them just check and adjust the front toe. My Hyundai dealer has a quick alignment check in the drive up waiting area. They will check it for free. Some alignment shops will check your alignment for free.
wtf is a free alignment check gonna do? "yup, you need an alignment. 90 bucks" get a free brake check, too. "yup, you need pads and rotors, 450 bucks." oh, oh, how about a free cooling system check. "yup, you need upper and lower hoses, and a radiator. 500 bucks." "oh, and we did a free belt check, too. you need new belts, 200 bucks." most people are gonna know something is wrong, or see uneven wear. AND, if you go back and read my post, i said it might be a good deal for AWD cars. as in, all wheel drive. how many elantras have you seen with all wheel drive? AND, front and rear alignment is possible. there are kits made to correct camber/caster/toe. so, if i get an alignment, with a printout, i will be able to see if corrections need to be made. if our car is pulling, i certainly aint gonna take it to the dealer, who not only has limits, but because i know a good shop can easily align it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You can get a free alignment check to see what all the numbers are. Get a print out of the numbers. Then look at the front toe to see if it needs to be adjusted. Note that the important number is total front toe. They can turn the steering wheel slightly which will increase one side and decrease the other side. I prefer the total front toe to be +/- 0.10 degrees. If the total front toe does not need to be adjusted, then you are done and do not need an alignment, since there is nothing for them to adjust.

The rear toe is another story, since there is no adjustment and Hyundai's wide specs causes much rear tire wear.

See my rather long thread: https://www.hyundai-forums.com/md-2.../232377-do-yourself-rear-wheel-alignment.html

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I had a free life of the tires alignment with one chain a long time ago. I believe they never put it on the machine after the first one, just took it in back and gave it back to me without checking, they never did solve the problem and it took a dealer alignment to get it right. No profit after the first alignment, I don't trust them to do even attempt to anything.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've never done alignment on my 02 Prizm 175K.. Just tire rotation and balance. Car always drove straight. I read if you hit a pothole it throws out your alignment. I recommend do not waste money on alignments unless needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts