Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Story time/Dear diary

Had an oil change about two months ago (2.4L 2011 GLS), probably some cheap synthetic blend (Ive since been educated on oil). Today decided to change the oil myself for the first time in my life... even though I was 2k miles short of my next change.

After a painstakingly long trek of jacking the car up with those little bars that came with the car, I finally get everything drained and refilled, oem hyundai oil filter. I am proud of my accomplishment. Just to be sure everything was fine I look for the dipstick. Couldnt find it, thought it was hidden somewhere in a sneaky place to coerce customers into paying for dealer services. After finding the owners manual and playing the hidden objects game with the picture, i find where its supposed to be. But, behold, it has vanished!

Perhaps it is because I declined new firestone tires after being pitched a sales routine for 30 minutes (buy THREE get one FREEEEE), or maybe it was an honest mistake. But it was so long ago, I know they'll deny deny deny! and its also a couple hundred miles away. So, where can I grab a new dipstick for cheap?

·
Registered
907 Posts
If they had any sense, they might still have the dipstick. Just ask for it accordingly to see if they still have it... if not, order one from your local hyundai dealership... just don't tell them you're driving without it, because, you know, warranty....

·
Registered
304 Posts
When you get a new dipstick you might want to check the oil level more often! From the post it looks like you haven't checked the oil in two months, which isn't often enough to be on the safe side.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
They probably left it laying under the hood somewhere...check around. May be lucky, but it probably fell at some point. Just go to the dealer and buy one and enjoy changing oil yourself ( the only one who really cares about your car ).

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I agree with all these guys. Check under the hood. It may be around somewhere heavens knows where. Also as stated, i would check the oil more often. I know I am crazy about this things but I check oil and all fluids including tire pressure every week. Alsom I check the spare tire once a month.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Also check the plastic area under the engine good since if left and fell down there it could have slide almost anywhere and might not be in plain sight.

Larry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies. ill check around the engine when there's a bit more light tomorrow. i wasn't aware checking oil frequently was important (I did it every couple months). guess i have too much faith in businesses.

also only found out recently about the warranty issue, been having my oil done at sears/firestone with synthetic blend as opposed to what the manual recommends! oops! with 22k on it, it should be okay i hope, minimal dammage done?

one other question, after only 1k miles or so since the last oil change, it came out looking pretty dirty, or so my dad said (he's worked on cars all his life). why would that be? not because of the missing dipstick i hope? maybe cheapo oil?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It's good that you changed your oil for the first time ever, I'm surprised that your Dad did not teach you to check your oil once in awhile.

When I have a shop (ANY shop) change my oil, I always open the hood and check the level with the dipstick. You might be shocked to learn than sometimes (very rarely) a guy will neglect to put the drain plug pack in or even to put the oil in-- it does happen.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Firestone corporate is very responsive to complaints. I had them do a tranny flush and their service guy's claim that they HAD SPIII fluid turned out to be a generic fluid 'the same as' SPIII. Tranny slipped and shifted rough. Contacted them online, a week later I had a check for a full refund of the service price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Firestone corporate is very responsive to complaints. I had them do a tranny flush and their service guy's claim that they HAD SPIII fluid turned out to be a generic fluid 'the same as' SPIII. Tranny slipped and shifted rough. Contacted them online, a week later I had a check for a full refund of the service price.
I will definitely give them a call, but am not hopeful. They did change my oil, and only know (now) by the firestone-branded oil filter.

It's good that you changed your oil for the first time ever, I'm surprised that your Dad did not teach you to check your oil once in awhile.

When I have a shop (ANY shop) change my oil, I always open the hood and check the level with the dipstick. You might be shocked to learn than sometimes (very rarely) a guy will neglect to put the drain plug pack in or even to put the oil in-- it does happen.
He likely did say it when I was younger and assumed I just did the right thing. I'll be on top of that now, and changing it myself from now on.

Now as far as getting under a car on the factory jack????
It's very possible! I threw the jack along the rail on the passenger side and it was a bit cramped with a long-handled ratchet for leverage but there was plenty of room to get the job done!

·
Registered
54 Posts
daveyp225;1387905 It's very possible! I threw the jack along the rail on the passenger side and it was a bit cramped with a long-handled ratchet for leverage but there was plenty of room to get the job done![/QUOTE said:
I'd say he's' not questioning whether it's possible. He's questioning the wisdom of climbing under the car on a factory jack. Having a Sonata land on your chest while changing your oil will ruin your day.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Swing by Northtowne and get a dipstick.. if they aint got it, take part number and call the local Kia dealer before placing order at Northtowne

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I'd say he's' not questioning whether it's possible. He's questioning the wisdom of climbing under the car on a factory jack. Having a Sonata land on your chest while changing your oil will ruin your day.
Precisely. Huge safety risk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a jackstand I place adjacent to the jack

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tried to edit instead of making a new post, but there must be a strict time limit. I was thinking about getting some ramps for the future, but as the sonata is so low to the ground, and to avoid going out with a ruler, does anyone know what maximum slope will they tolerate?

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
I will definitely give them a call
Don't call the location you went to... well, call them if you want but if you want the best change at getting something taken care of contact Firestone corporate via email/their web page like I advised.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just buy a new dipstick. 20+ dollars isn't worth the hassle. That dark oil is from fuel contamination. Very common on Gdi motors. Your first few miles when new, did u break in the motor?

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
When I had my Nissan 350Z and changed the oil myself, I placed 2 by 4 pieces of wood in front of the ramps. The wood would lift the car enough to get it into the ramp without scraping the bottom.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts