Hyundai Forums banner

Finding a donor truck.

2K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  PinCup 
#1 ·
My Veracruz has many miles and has proven to be one of the best vehicles we've ever bought. Pricing engines and transmissions and other key components that one might expect are due to fail, it became obvious I needed to keep my eyes sharp for a parts car. As expected there are no Veracruz of any use in my local salvage yards, only picked clean wrecks.

I deleted my facebook, so now I use my dog's account to keep up with marketplace. It's there I found the 2010 for sale, 99,300 miles, Arizona Grandma's car, with a blown head gasket, and brand new radiator.

Her asking price was $3000. Twice what I wanted to spend, so I waited and watched.
After 20 weeks she lowered the price and I reached out and made an offer.
We worked out the deal and I brought it home.
Stopped at the shop to drain the fluids and wash it.

At home the salvage begins.

The wealth of high value parts makes me happy.

Master Cyl, and ABS Pump. The brakes are in great shape so, calipers rotors wheel sensors ect.

Interior knobs, switches, screws and plugs.

Starter, alternator, AC compressor and I'll pull the rack and steering pump as well.

BCM, PCM, all the numerous sensors on the car.
It is quite a daunting task to disassemble a car, and remarkable how few fasteners hold them together.

I've already moved over to my truck, the front door cards and front door glass'. The '10 had tinted, mine was not, is now ;) . ( front door glass' for sale, cheap.)
The '10 had the genuine Hyundai Non-Skid rear mat and First-Aid kit, and a not broken trunk latch and matching non-broken center consul latch.

I got all the gas drained out so I can get back on removing truck from the engine frame and get the body hauled away.
I'll update the progress. Shout if you need a part, I'll let some go.
-PC

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been looking for a passenger side mirror. I see your pic of your mirrors. Any chance that vehicle has heated mirrors, without memory, but with the electrochromatic dimming?
If so, I would be interested in buying.

Great idea you have there. Let me know. Thanks.

#3 ·
This 2010 was a pretty strip down model. The mirrors are no memory, dimming but don't appear to be heated.
My 08 has a broken mirror signal lens, I was planning to dissemble the white one to see if the LEDs are salvageable.
Now I'll look over the book to see how they come apart first. If I can't use it, I'll be glad to sell it on.

#4 ·
Here's what I found.
Mirrors are memory or non-memory, and rather spendy. I can get the signal LEDs separate for $100. I'll look into that.

Mirror wiring;

#5 ·
Update;

Have not been able to put in the time on this project that I'd like to, my VC is still holding together.
I am making progress. Engine and trans are detached on the ground.

Quite a mess inside the CC.

It doesn't look like it's from the front bank,

The complexities of this truck are fascinating.

#6 ·
Update; The body has been stripped if everything I want. I loaded it onto a rental trailer with a come-along and gave it to the scrap yard.
The couple of dollars in scrap was donated to their holiday party fund.

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Road surface Asphalt

I have the engine separated from the transmission and mounted on a stand. I gave it a bit of a bath, needs another can.

Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Auto part Machine

The trans and cradle are going to the car wash for a blast.

Bicycle tire Tire Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Crankset

My Veracruz logged another Pinball rescue pulling my 5X8 trailer. 500 mile round trip and averaged 20 MPG.

Car Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Trip computer

PC

#7 ·
Tearing down the engine to see if I have a good core to build on.
It looks bad, but cleaned up pretty quickly and is turning over freely now.

It drained over night inverted.
Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Machine Automotive exterior

Keeping fasteners in order.
Wood Triangle Composite material Pattern Font

The rear bank.
Land vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Bumper

Product Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive engine gasket Audio equipment

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Product Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Gas Automotive tire

I'm leaning toward replacing this head.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Window Wood Motor vehicle

The front head still to be removed. These 3 cylinders drove the salvage off the trailer and into my garage. The rear spark plugs were removed to get it started.
Product Camshaft Mass production Gas Engineering

PC

#8 ·
Update on the teardown. I am leaving the crankshaft in for the machine shop to inspect.

First peek,
Motor vehicle Product Automotive tire Automotive design Hood

#1 piston rear bank,
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Rim Camera accessory

After spray cleaner...
Automotive tire Camera accessory Bicycle part Rim Cameras & optics

#2 piston, Front pistons came out pretty clean. No stuck rings, just full of junk on the bottom.
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire

No signs of heat damage down here yet. Still full of sludge.
Gas Nickel Auto part Metal Household hardware

Front,
Light Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

Rear,
Light Automotive tire Automotive engine gasket Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Off the the engine builder with it for evaluation. Will it pass, or is it beyond economic repair?

A short block assy, is about $4000.

-PC

#9 ·
Update;

Ready to swap rear axle assembly.
-2 E brake cables
-2 Wheel speed sensors
-2 Brake fluid lines
-6 Bolts
-Estimated 50 cuss words, 1 skinned knuckle

A good cleaning first.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Automotive tire

-PC

#10 · (Edited)
The job took just under 4 hours with the benefits of the shop's big flat floor, and the fork lift as my helper.
The RV Scissor jacks came in very handy as well. My advice is gather every jack and jack-stand you can get your hands on. It made the job much easier. A shot of penetrating oil on the exhaust fasteners the night before is also a good idea, you will need to remove the Y pipe. The driver side E-brake cable must be threaded through the filler neck as you remove / install the assembly. There were no other surprises. Very clever design.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Donor assembly has under 100,000 miles.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Tire

I needed to crank up the jacks another 2 inches so the forklift boom would clear the underside of the liftgate.

Vehicle Land vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

No issues on the test drive, no problems with the new wheel speed sensors or brakes. I need the snug the E-brake adjuster a turn or two.
Drives good, tape measure says we're really close but I'll have a 4 wheel alignment done after the engine/trans swap.

-PC

#11 ·
The engine core goes off to the machine shop.

The visual inspection went well, he said bore out to .020 over will bring it back to good.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

I'm cleaning parts and doing a little old school hot rodding and polishing the intake riser ports.
If I'm going to rebuild the engine, I want my Veracruz to go faster that your Veracruz.

Bicycle part Wood Bicycle drivetrain part Auto part Crankset

Stock sand cast port.
Artifact Rectangle Tints and shades Dish Metal

After some Dremel and sand paper.
Automotive lighting Door Gas Bumper Wood

Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Bumper

Helmet Jaw Wood Artifact Bicycle saddle

The engine builder's estimate was $2000 for the rebuild back to long block. He wants to rebuild the heads over replace.

-PC

#12 ·
Update;
The deposit for the rebuild, and the heads have been dropped off at the engine shop. As soon as the heads have been broken down and cleaned, I can pick them up for port polishing.

The progress on the riser port is coming along. Not race day perfect, but should get me a few extra horsepower and more MPG.

White Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Wood

Hood Automotive design Bumper Wood Automotive lighting

Opening the injector area just a little.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Bicycle part

Stock
Rim Composite material Bicycle part Auto part Metal

-PinCup

#13 ·
Port polishing.... Sucks! My fingers are killing me.

I took some time to clean up the chain cover. The oily side cleaned up nice. The rusty corroded side was a bit more of a challenge.
This one is looking better. A new water pump - $75, a new timing chain cover - $430.

After a quick wire brushing,
Automotive tire Rim Vehicle brake Auto part Personal protective equipment

Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle part Motor vehicle Gear

Bicycle part Machine Metal Engineering Circle

-PC

Time for some pinball.
Pinball Light Recreation room Indoor games and sports Recreation

#14 ·
Update;

Dropped off the timing chain cover, oil pump and other bolt on bits at the engine builder. I picked up the cleaned and disassembled heads for port polishing.

The ports are a bit longer. I need to find a better tool to get to the middle.

Liquid Automotive tire Fluid Wood Gas

Automotive tire Helmet Door Rim Gas

Art Funeral Gas Creative arts Wax

Automotive lighting Jaw Gesture Art Artifact

-PC

#15 ·
Update;

Port work continues.
My crane ram blew a seal, Harbor Freight is discontinuing the 8 ton ram I need. A trip clear across town to secure a replacement. Air assist the only stock left.
Handy parts box for my spare fasteners and fuses for $10.

With the hoist repaired, the Transmission and cradle got a lift for cleaning, painting and a new pony shaft and seals.

Check your Veracruz for rust under the battery. If in a wet climate, this kind of rust damage could get very bad really quickly, and right at the lower control arm mount.

Wood Gas Audio equipment Machine Circuit component

Gas Cylinder Wood Bicycle part Tints and shades

Yellow Rectangle Hood Eyewear Automotive lighting

Curtain Machine Engineering Metal Automotive design

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Packing materials Wood Plastic bag Shipping box Gas

Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bicycle part

Automotive tire Bumper Engineering Wood Motor vehicle

-PC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.