Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MPH that is, lol. Not sure what was more impressive, getting 30+ miles per gallon at that speed or how smooth the car was. I ran at that speed for about 10 minutes to make up for lost time and reset the MPG gauge to see what it would average. Still was pushing over 30 on a pretty much flat area of freeway.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Congratulations! You lived to tell about it! I remember taking my 1969 Pontiac up to 120 mph on the Interstate in my late teens. The darn thing had a 350 cubic inch V8 with a two-speed tranny. That's right: 2-speed automatic. I laugh about it now when think about the Elantra's 6-speed auto.

·
22,793 Posts
Oh, boy! Did that with a friend in 1967 in his 1962 Corvette...327/300 horse. Interstate at 120+. Terrified and excited at the same time. Sure doesn't take long to get from Point A to B at that rate. Never again! LOL

If I do "100" now, you can bet your injectors it's in kilometers. :grin:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I can get my 35 year old motorcycle up to 100mph before my survival instincts kick in. Then I start thinking...what if this 35 year old wheel flies off?

·
Registered
912 Posts
When my Elantra was new, I had her up to 114 as a test. She got to 100 surprisingly quick, but each additional mph was an eternity!!!

She was smooth!

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
'77 Ford LTD police/highway patrol car, 460 cid (7.5l), new cop tires, previous owner, a police chief, had recently had the motor and trans rebuilt. Speedometer topped at 140, there was a peg way past the end of the 140 that the needle was ticking on like mad. Terrifying with that old boat, no feel of the road, power steering. Four days after I'd bought it some old lady ran a stop sign and killed it... then she bounced off me and landed on a Corvette.

I've had the Accent up to 81 (according to my Garmin GPS) and it felt okay but that's fast enough for me. Regularly cruise at 70 on I-95 (posted limit hereabouts).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Dang! How did you get a picture of it?? If I was at that speed I'd be holding the steering wheel with both hands as tight as I can!

·
Registered
905 Posts
One hundred here on I-440 this past Monday. Car was surprisingly smooth. Was too scared of the giant ticket I would get if I kept it up or went faster

·
Registered
343 Posts
Since we're all telling stories of past flirtations with death I'll add mine. It was about 1966. I was 15. Jake, Dave and I skipped out of Sunday School, and took a ride in Jake's brother's Vette, a '64 427 with the side pipes. I think it was supposed to have 450hp. Jake was driving and I was crammed in behind the seats(not the convertible). Jake knew few boundaries.

He headed for a newly opened stretch of highway and in short order we were hitting 135 on the speedo. I was exhilarated and terrified at the same time. He also had to punch it to 85 mph past our high school where the speed limit is 35. Somehow we made it back unscathed. The next year, after getting my license, I had to see what I could do in my brother's car, a '64 VW. On the same slightly downhill stretch it topped out at 83.

My personal best came about four years later in a poorly maintained Rover 3500s (wish I still had that one). I hit 105 before the shaking brought me back to my senses. As for my current GT tops has only been about 85, and that'll be fast enough.

Geoff

·
22,793 Posts
I would imagine they would just set you down in an empty field a build a brand new jail on top of you if they clocked the car doing over 100. Can you say "Impound Lot, revoked privileges, high risk insurance rates?" And we haven't even covered the fine, court costs, fees for a half-decent mouth piece to plea your sentence down. And what about a bail bondsman? And let us not forget the nice Brook Brother's suit, complete with tie, Allen Edmonds' shoes...the works. Don't want the judge thinking you're some kind of vagrant. LOL Capital "O-U-C-H!" That'll sting for a while... ;)

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Emma's only been above 85 once and that was on a deserted stretch of high-desert road in Central Oregon during my steam locomotive chase last October. I saw I had a long downhill stretch with nobody in front or coming towards me and after a quick glance in the mirror revealed nobody, I put my foot down. I got her up to about 105 or so but at that point, my rear shocks were starting to go and I still had the stock Hankooks so the rear end really started to unnerve me. As a result of that, I lifted off before I found out where that acceleration would end and I doubt I'll have the chance or the desire to find out any time soon...I'm not that young anymore. All the magazines say she's limited to 120 and that's good enough for me.

Side note: The closest I've ever gotten to 120 was in my 2010 Santa Fe which I drove over 80 only once. Around 118 or so, something on the right front door started whistling and a vision of the fender or door mirror flying off ran through my mind so I backed off. That thing had so much power it showed no signs of slowing down when I chickened out although I am still curious to see where the speedo needle would end up. My guess is 125-130 or so.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Here's a great story about speeding told to me by a friend of a friend.

A man we'll call Frank was coming back from Bend, Oregon on US-20 just north of a town called Sisters. Holly may be familiar with this road but for those who aren't, it's arrow-straight for probably ten miles with absolutely nothing around anywhere. It's 1:30 in the afternoon on a Tuesday and the road is absolutely deserted and Frank is driving a Volvo 850R, a car he bought new over ten years ago. Faced with this beautiful stretch of straight road and clear skies, he realizes that he's never really seen what the Volvo can do after all these years so he plants the accelerator and the car takes off like it got shot.

A mile later while doing 138 MPH (in a 55 zone), he blows past an Oregon State Trooper sitting on the shoulder. Although Frank could have easily out-run the cop who was starting from a stand-still, he did the wise thing and pulled the Volvo to the side of the road. Frank was fully expecting to be pulled out of the car at gun point and hauled off to jail but instead, the trooper was so happy to see another person that he and Frank sat on the shoulder and talked football for half an hour.

Finally the trooper told him, "Look man. State says that over 100 I'm supposed to take you to jail and impound the car. I'm gonna write you up for 90 MPH." In fact, Oregon is so tough on 100+ MPH violations that Frank could have easily seen the revocation of his license for a year, a $1400 fine and the impound of his Volvo not to mention all associated court fees. Completely relieved to have metaphorically gotten away with murder, Frank headed home in complete obedience of the law.

A few weeks later, the citation arrives in the mail and the state charged him with 'careless and/or reckless driving' that carried a fine of $275. Instead of paying the fine, Frank instead did some research and found that, per state law as there were no other vehicles around, it was not truly reckless and wrote the judge a letter to that effect. The judge knocked $250 off so what should have cost Frank his license and another $2,000 in fees and fines, he got off for $25 and no citation.

---

Right hand to God, this story is true and I've told it to you just as it was told to me.

·
Registered
912 Posts
A few years back, I figured it was time to see what my then motorcycle, my Yamaha FJR1300AE would do. One guy on the FJR forum claimed he had gotten her to 178 mph. I was on a straight deserted stretch of I-10 so I let her rip! I got to about 155 mph. Got there real quick too! She was so very smooth as glass and I felt like I was going 70 mph. Lingered for a short time and that was that. I never need to do that again, but it was memorable!

·
22,793 Posts
I think the majority of us has done this. The smart ones? ONCE...and lived to tell about it. When we're young, we think we're indestructible and gonna live forever. :) But who wouldn't like to do 200+ down the backstretch at Talledega? :3gears:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Some great stories, guys. Always enjoy hearing about "the good ol' days". :D

Best I've done is about 230kph, just a hair over 140mph in my 2000 honda Civic SiR (US Si model). Not too shabby for a 1.6L NA. The rate at which I caught up to a vehicle a couple km's ahead was rather alarming. lol

Easily hit 200kph (125mph) in my 89 Supra and that was enough proof for me to show it had some balls. Pretty sure I could actually see the fuel gauge going down during that run...

The Elantra, I hit 200kph (125mph) just to see if it could do it. Yep. ;)

Up here in Ontario, Canada we have a relatively new law that became enforced a few years back where if you are caught going 50+ kph over the limit, it's an automatic license suspension, court date and your car gets impounded. On top of that there's a hefty fine. Needless to say, it's just not worth pushing your luck here anymore.

Any of those speed runs I did, I was alone on an empty road where I knew it was very unlikely there were any cops and usually very late at night.

One more quick story, some of you may have heard me mention a race car that my friends and I work on and race. It's an 89 Toyota MR2 super-charged that we converted to turbo and have done extensive modifications to. One day my friend had it out and was doing some tuning. In order to get good data, you have to do "dyno runs". Well we don't have a dyno but we do have many km's of empty country roads. Long story short, he was doing some pulls and to test the engine under full load for a longer period of time, he started a pull in 5th gear. Keeping an eye on the A/F ratio gauge instead of his speed, before too long he hit the rev limiter.... in 5th. The speedometer had been disabled when we re-did some of the electrical, so we calculated how fast he was going. We estimate it was somewhere around 240kph or 150mph. :D

1 - 20 of 80 Posts