Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I finally was able to buy this for my mom as a gift since her Accord was totaled by another driver making an illegal turn right into her almost head on. Anyway, Freysinger Hyundai was able to track down the exact color and model that she wanted. I have dealt with lots of dealers but as a first time Hyundai owner, this was the best experience hands down.

I am still learning everything about the GTS and setting up all the technology stuff first. Then I will teach my mom, so she is not overwhelm. She wanted the sport because of the 201hp like her old car. What she love most is the power and rear wiper. I still think it's to sporty for a 77 yrs young mom :laugh: She also wants a few mod, which are window deflectors, all weather floor & cargo mats. I'm going to get her all WeatherTech but they don't make everything for the GT yet. I will sneak in some of my own mods that I like such as white interior LED lights and put on the clear bra for the whole front end. Because I know I will have fun driving it when she is not looking. :wink2:

Here are some pics and the rear of the GTS you will see her first mod. Supreme Power plate trim. This company was my one of my sponsored for my custom supercharged BMW back in the day. The owner still hooks me up to this day :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Putting everything aside, you have my full respect for taking care of your mother. She is getting one **** of a gift too.

Considering her age, make sure you show her all the safety features first. Teach her how to use the adaptive cruise control and lane assist, as well as blind-spot radar detection system, all of which provide extra layers of safety and greatly enhances the awesomeness of the vehicle.

Congrats!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Few questions that I want to confirm and hear your thoughts on.

I typically do all the maintenance myself but with Hyundai warranty, I might not. My dealer is giving 1st year of free oil change and the service dept. says that the GTS using conventional oil and not full synthetic. They sent me the service maintenance chart and it shows that the GTS oil to be changed every 3,000 miles. I would have thought that being turbo, it would use synthetic. I think Hyundai recommends using 5W-20 or 5W-30 engine oil. I found this link searching for what GTS would use

https://applications.castrol.com/oilselector/en_us/c/recommendation?vehicleType=cars-and-suvs&manufacturer=hyundai&model=elantra-gt-pd-(201:cool:&modelType=elantra-gt-1-6-t-gdi-(201:cool:

The other question is on the same logic, Hyundai says it uses regular unleaded 87 octane gas. But do you use mid-grade 89 or premium unleaded 92 gas since its turbo?

TIA,
Ym

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Putting everything aside, you have my full respect for taking care of your mother. She is getting one **** of a gift too.

Considering her age, make sure you show her all the safety features first. Teach her how to use the adaptive cruise control and lane assist, as well as blind-spot radar detection system, all of which provide extra layers of safety and greatly enhances the awesomeness of the vehicle.

Congrats!
Mizerab1e, Thanks for word of kindness and all of your help with my questions.

My parents had done a lot for me. I didn't get a chance to do the same for my dad before he died. I was still young and didn't have the funds but my goal was to do something for my mom. Yes, I definitely agree about all the safety features. I'm still learning all of that myself before she drives this. I also want to test out the automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection and forward collision warning too.

I myself love the European style and the panoramic roof. I hope this will not be the only Hyundai I will own... I have my eye on the Santa Cruz Pickup that will be coming out soon :grin2:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yes, I definitely agree about all the safety features. I'm still learning all of that myself before she drives this. I also want to test out the automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection and forward collision warning too.
It is very commendable to give such a nice present to your mom. Parents should be rewarded in some way for all they did and do for us no matter our age...
I doubt you will be able to 'test' emergency braking and pedestrian detection in real world. Based on this forum it is almost impossible to achieve BUT apparently it works when needed.
Not knowing your mom, but being 77, do you really think she will be able to fiddle with smart cruise while driving? And all those buttons, screens, etc.? Adjust distance, etc. in a real traffic situation when everybody drives crazy around her? And 201HP in a small package? Hmmm. Slight slip of her foot will propel her like rocket...
But definitely it is a nice present. Go and put invisible bra before first real road trip. Will save you headache of fixing all those inevitable little chips...
And do NOT do all mods Mizelab1e did or you will have to buy her a helmet as she will be flying!

·
22,788 Posts
@yellowman: Nicely done for your mom. Hey, I’m 69, now (perfect age!) and I operate those bells and whistles like second nature. I have a feeling she’s gonna get into this Sport in a BIG way. “Go, granny, GO!”
:3gears:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is very commendable to give such a nice present to your mom. Parents should be rewarded in some way for all they did and do for us no matter our age...
I doubt you will be able to 'test' emergency braking and pedestrian detection in real world. Based on this forum it is almost impossible to achieve BUT apparently it works when needed.
Not knowing your mom, but being 77, do you really think she will be able to fiddle with smart cruise while driving? And all those buttons, screens, etc.? Adjust distance, etc. in a real traffic situation when everybody drives crazy around her? And 201HP in a small package? Hmmm. Slight slip of her foot will propel her like rocket...
But definitely it is a nice present. Go and put invisible bra before first real road trip. Will save you headache of fixing all those inevitable little chips...
And do NOT do all mods Mizelab1e did or you will have to buy her a helmet as she will be flying!

MaybeHyundai - Thanks...My mom just wants to drive and feel comfortable so she don't care about the tech stuff as much as I do. She never uses cruise control or all those other complicated features. I just want her to know what to expect with all the alert sound, symbols on the dash and mirrors. Being safe for her and others is the most important thing. Once I feel she shouldn't drive, I will be modding the heck out of it like Mizelab1e for my daily like my BMW was :)

OkieRich - Thanks... she just like to know the car can take off when she needs it too just like her Accord V6. I know when I am that age, I will be driving like I do now >:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just finish this mod for mom's car. Temper glass protector for the Navigation screen.

Also 2 questions I still haven't found an answer for. I have search the internet and seems like a 50/50 on which to use.

1) So the dealer is saying GTS using conventional oil but Hyundai manual says any approve oil but doesn't specifically say full synthetic. After my 1st year I will be doing my own oil change and probably just do 5w-30.

2) Hyundai says it uses regular unleaded 87 octane gas. But do you all use mid-grade 89 or premium unleaded 92 gas since its turbo? I'm probably just have mom use 87 and once in a while I will do 92.

TIA,
Ym

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
For what it's worth -

I dumped whatever oil was in my '18 EGTS 6MT at 600mi, and re-did with Synthetic. Dealer said the car had synthetic in it when purchased, but whatever :) Whether I'm right, or wrong - I think there's huge value to dumping the oil after breakin just to make sure nothing weird is going on. So, anyway, that's exactly what I did and happy to report that at almost 2.5K mi now - everything is A-OK.

Also, regarding fuel. I've only been using 91. (That's as good as it gets around me) I'm not going to use lower octanes with the turbo.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For what it's worth -

I dumped whatever oil was in my '18 EGTS 6MT at 600mi, and re-did with Synthetic. Dealer said the car had synthetic in it when purchased, but whatever :) Whether I'm right, or wrong - I think there's huge value to dumping the oil after breakin just to make sure nothing weird is going on. So, anyway, that's exactly what I did and happy to report that at almost 2.5K mi now - everything is A-OK.

Also, regarding fuel. I've only been using 91. (That's as good as it gets around me) I'm not going to use lower octanes with the turbo.
Thanks for your feedback.. I had to ask this because I know most of the time with warranty you have to follow what the manufacture says. But being a turbo like my supercharger I was questioning to be sure.

The manual says break-in is 600 miles but I know this GTS was test driven and I just hope they didn't rev the heck out of it. It was also drove in from another dealer about 150 miles because of what I wanted. I'm still waiting for the clear paint protection film to come so I can install it before my mom drives it.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Yellowmann,

First and foremost, you are to be respected for taking care of your mom. As stated earlier, we need to honor those who took care of us.

Regarding the conventional/synthetic oil question I have now come down on both sides of the issue. :) If your mom does not drive many miles in a year I would go full synthetic and just change it every six months. Conventional premium oil should also allow this interval, but from what I have read you would have a better margin of "safety" for the engine with very little extra annual cost.

87 octane good quality fuel will not cause any harm to the engine. The engine control system will adapt the timing, dwell, fuel map for the octane. For those times when mom wants a little more get up and go from the engine, premium fuel will allow the engine control system to tweak up the tuning to accommodate. But neither will cause harm as long as you are using a quality fuel.

Regarding age and spirited driving, I had my 90 year old dad in the car with me when I thought I would show off my skills with a manual transmission. He had taught me high performance driving many decades earlier. After a full throttle run from a stop to highway speeds he didn't even look over at me, just quietly mentioned I needed to work on my 2-3 shift timing. LOL

Really miss my dad. He was one of a kind.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is a great move! Where did you get it and for how much?
Yeah, I notice when I bought my MDX, the Nav screen was scratched so I didnt want it to happen to the GTS.

I'm not sure if I can post link here but I got it from Amazon for $12.
LFOTPP 2017-2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Blue Link 8 Inch Car Navigation Screen Protector

Yellowmann,

First and foremost, you are to be respected for taking care of your mom. As stated earlier, we need to honor those who took care of us.

Regarding the conventional/synthetic oil question I have now come down on both sides of the issue. :) If your mom does not drive many miles in a year I would go full synthetic and just change it every six months. Conventional premium oil should also allow this interval, but from what I have read you would have a better margin of "safety" for the engine with very little extra annual cost.

87 octane good quality fuel will not cause any harm to the engine. The engine control system will adapt the timing, dwell, fuel map for the octane. For those times when mom wants a little more get up and go from the engine, premium fuel will allow the engine control system to tweak up the tuning to accommodate. But neither will cause harm as long as you are using a quality fuel.

Regarding age and spirited driving, I had my 90 year old dad in the car with me when I thought I would show off my skills with a manual transmission. He had taught me high performance driving many decades earlier. After a full throttle run from a stop to highway speeds he didn't even look over at me, just quietly mentioned I needed to work on my 2-3 shift timing. LOL

Really miss my dad. He was one of a kind.
flemmons - Thanks much for your kind words and reply. I am sorry for your dad's lost but I know I miss mine too. I just wish I had more time with him and learn a lot more. Just like you said, we just have to remember the great memories and pass those on to our kids.

Regarding my 2 questions, thanks for your feedback. My mom does not put much miles on her car. She only take my older mentally slow brother grocery shopping and doctor appointments together. They both live with my family so I am grateful to spend time with them. I'm very lucky that my wife and kids are OK with it but I know its not easy.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Another little mod for mom ;)
I do not know about USA but in Ontario car owner owns licence plate. Get some plate cover to protect it from elements.
Lately Ontario plates are SOOOOO bad manufactured they start disintegrating after few months. For some reason very few people keep their 'original' plate and get (lousy) new one.Throwing money through the window...
LED makes big difference. Great mod.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do not know about USA but in Ontario car owner owns licence plate. Get some plate cover to protect it from elements.
Lately Ontario plates are SOOOOO bad manufactured they start disintegrating after few months. For some reason very few people keep their 'original' plate and get (lousy) new one.Throwing money through the window...
LED makes big difference. Great mod.
In USA specially area that has winter season, the car typically goes through harsher environments. So yes, the license plate would be degraded over time. I'm not sure if all states have rules that headlight, taillights and license plates can not be covered. I know some like to use the tinted covers to make it harder for cops or people to read which is most likely illegal. They would not upgrade to the brighter LED license plate bulbs either. But some do get away with clear covers since you can still read it well. I might put the clear cover on for my mom but not sure if it fits over the Supreme Power license frame I have on now.

Well anyway, all the interior lights including the car vanity mirror are upgraded to the Led bulbs. The only thing that sux is the rear seating area, those can't be change since they are OEM Led. I hope someone makes replacement to match the 6000k temp color.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK. finally got around to install the next mod for Mom's GTS. My friend and I finished the Scotchguard Pro Series PPF install this weekend. It's a full front kit with few extra. The film cover partial hood, full bumper, fenders, mirror, headlights, DRL, under door handle, door edge and I made custom tail lift area. The film cut was perfect and the front bumper was tricky. It turned out great with big help from my buddy.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You have to look real close to see the line on the hood and fenders. The rest is pretty much invisible. This kit has 5 year warranty and 10 years if install by certify shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
Congratulations on the new car and respect for your taking care of your mom!

The Turbo can run on regular fuel and will be OK, the ecm will adapt tuning as needed to run well. But that is a factory min octane rating, the car will run stronger with premium 91 or whatever you have available. In my Sonata 2.0T (and in my 2 previous cars MBZ C250 1.6T and a G37 infiniti 3.7) they both ran ok on regular but definitely ran better on premium fuel , more power and better mileage so it pretty much off set the cost difference between the fuels.

With GDI engines and especially turbo GDI you have intake valve carbon buildup, some add oil catch cans to help, some run Injection service and intake system cleaners to keep the intake valves clean since they do not get cleaned by any fuel passing over them with the direct injection. Using premium fuel and a synthetic oil will greatly help minimize this buildup. Plus for the turbo synthetic is far better protection. Im using Mobil 1 full synthetic since it is easy to get and inexpensive from Walmart, it was the factory recommended oil for all MBZ and it is what my local Hyundai Dealer uses for there "premium" oil changes.

Depending on the miles and type of driving consider a fuel injection and system cleaner from time to time to keep the intake clean, dealers offer the service at inflated prices but if you stay ahead of the buildup the DIY CRC GDI System cleaner works well and is a 10 minute job to spray into the intake with the engine running every 10-15,000 miles. if you use top tier gas there is no need for a fuel additive, but techron or BG 44K is a cheap investment to make sure all injectors stay clean every now and then.

Enjoy the car !

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congratulations on the new car and respect for your taking care of your mom!

The Turbo can run on regular fuel and will be OK, the ecm will adapt tuning as needed to run well. But that is a factory min octane rating, the car will run stronger with premium 91 or whatever you have available. In my Sonata 2.0T (and in my 2 previous cars MBZ C250 1.6T and a G37 infiniti 3.7) they both ran ok on regular but definitely ran better on premium fuel , more power and better mileage so it pretty much off set the cost difference between the fuels.

With GDI engines and especially turbo GDI you have intake valve carbon buildup, some add oil catch cans to help, some run Injection service and intake system cleaners to keep the intake valves clean since they do not get cleaned by any fuel passing over them with the direct injection. Using premium fuel and a synthetic oil will greatly help minimize this buildup. Plus for the turbo synthetic is far better protection. Im using Mobil 1 full synthetic since it is easy to get and inexpensive from Walmart, it was the factory recommended oil for all MBZ and it is what my local Hyundai Dealer uses for there "premium" oil changes.

Depending on the miles and type of driving consider a fuel injection and system cleaner from time to time to keep the intake clean, dealers offer the service at inflated prices but if you stay ahead of the buildup the DIY CRC GDI System cleaner works well and is a 10 minute job to spray into the intake with the engine running every 10-15,000 miles. if you use top tier gas there is no need for a fuel additive, but techron or BG 44K is a cheap investment to make sure all injectors stay clean every now and then.

Enjoy the car !
Hello Xaran, Thank you for your detail reply. Everything you said makes sense since I have a BMW that I installed a super charger on. I too use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic for the BMW and stock up from Costco :) Once I take it into the dealer for the free oil change, I will see what they plan on putting in. I just want to make sure they wont make a reason to void the warranty if anything happens. My mom wont be putting many miles on this so I am not to worried till I borrow it for a spin :)

Charlie

1 - 20 of 40 Posts