Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 XL and I ordered Morimoto HIDs in the H11B variety. The OEM halogen bulbs had prongs built in to the side of the base, and when the bulb was rotated into position, the prongs slid into the connector which was attached to the projector base. Being kind of a n00b to this, I searched around everywhere, but could find no mention of this mystery connector. I watched tons of Santa Fe HID install videos on YouTube, and nobody ever mentioned this strange sideways plug. I placed a couple calls to the Retrofit Source where I purchased them, and they told me I would have to order a special "H11B" adapter, but they didn't sell it. I searched all over Amazon and eBay and came up with nothing. After spending way too much time searching online, I decided to head out to the garage and just figure something out. As those of you who have done this already know, I had to remove the pins from the harness and insert them into the headlight connector, and that did the trick. Originally I ordered the HD relay from TRS, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't figure out a way to route everything cleanly, because I always came up too short. I called TRS back and asked about the canbus adapters, and they strongly advised against them. Against their suggestion, I ordered them anyway, and they seem to be working great. I have 6500k bulbs in there and they match the eyebrow pretty well, but I think 5500 might have been a closer match. I just wanted to post this up here to help out any future n00bs that come along and try to find answers to the questions I had.

Attachments

·
Registered
975 Posts
Looking really good man, I agreed with 5500K are just the right colour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
782 Posts
Yes, that was one of my issues with TRS (not sure if the Morimoto site has the same issue). The "kit' they sell has a relay harness/cables that just don't reach. Everything is super-tight (one pothole and stuff comes out).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Glad it finally worked out. I used the Opt7 Canbus HID kit and had as much fun as you did with the H11B connection. My relay cable fit just fine, but it interfered somehow with the passenger side headlight that wouldn't light up. Opt7 Support told me to try without the relay and then everything worked fine.
About a year later now, one my short capacitor cables went bad with either a loose wire or whatever (strangely right after visiting Hyundai on the hood cable recall.) Replaced that capacitor/anti-flickering cable and back in business.
Love the HID low beam lighting; no flashing from oncoming vehicles. Now to figure out better LEDs for the high beams...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you guys know if the short wheelbase Sport models have different headlights than our LWB models? I'm just curious why I haven't heard about anybody else having difficulty getting their HID kits installed. All of the YouTube videos I watched didn't touch on it at all.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that was one of my issues with TRS (not sure if the Morimoto site has the same issue). The "kit' they sell has a relay harness/cables that just don't reach. Everything is super-tight (one pothole and stuff comes out).
I called TRS and told them that the relay harness they sold me was too short. They basically told me to pound sand, and that I just didn't know what I was doing.

I bought an H7 kit for my Sonata and it went in great, but this H11 kit I bought for the Sonata just wasn't right.

After bitching and moaning enough, they granted me an RMA and gave me a refund on the HD relay harness, so I'm happy.

Reactions: mjonis

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
782 Posts
Do you guys know if the short wheelbase Sport models have different headlights than our LWB models? I'm just curious why I haven't heard about anybody else having difficulty getting their HID kits installed. All of the YouTube videos I watched didn't touch on it at all.
My roomate (had) the TRS/Morimoto one for his 2014 SFS. I'm fairly certain they were the H11, but I don't remember the bulb type.

All I know is that TRS has really poor customer service.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Hey Danny, how do you like the lighting output of your Morimoto HID? I’m sure it’s a huge improvement over stock halogen but I’m always curious to see how those aftermarket set up stack up with the factory HID of the SF XL. I’m currently using upgraded D3S Osram Xenarc CBI 5500K for my SF and I just bought the new Osram CBB, apparently those bulbs suppose to blow the CBI in terms of lumens and I can’t wait to get my hands on those bad boys. My very good forum friend will help me get those bulbs and I’ll try to post up pics once it’s installed for comparison if I get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sonata_danny

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dino, the light output from the Morimotos is fantastic. I can't give you actual numbers in terms of lumens, but it really is a major improvement.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Dino, the light output from the Morimotos is fantastic. I can't give you actual numbers in terms of lumens, but it really is a major improvement.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Would you mind sharing exactly what Morimoto bulbs you ordered (part number and/or info on the box?) Sounds like these are H11 bulbs that have to be connected with the "adapter" cable to the H11B housing on your SF?

Sorry for all the questions, but I think an upgrade is in store for me from my Opt7 HID bulbs (part of the Opt7 Canbus HID kit I installed) to the Morimotos...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would you mind sharing exactly what Morimoto bulbs you ordered (part number and/or info on the box?) Sounds like these are H11 bulbs that have to be connected with the "adapter" cable to the H11B housing on your SF?
I ordered the H11B / H9 / H8 XB bulbs. I'm pretty sure I threw the boxes out, but I'll take a look out in the garage tomorrow.

Reactions: Basshound
1 - 11 of 11 Posts