Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a source for air and cabin filters for the GT? I get my Sonata filters from Amazon (Beck Arnley) but they do not show any for the GT, only the GLS and Limited versions of the regular Elantra.

Walt

·
22,788 Posts
Get mine from these fellas on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/automotivepartssuperstore The last time I ordered, it was $16 for two engine filters and $22 for 3 cabin air filters. They had the WIX part number on them but no name brand. This supplier orders from the same manufacturer that makes many of the other name brand and generic filters. Hard to distinguish mine from the OEM in terms of media type, number of peats, edge seal, quality, and appearance. Fit like a glove. Free shipping was a bonus. Had them in 3 days. Not sure how their prices are now days. That's been a while back.

I was so impressed that I ordered a complete set of the above for the wife's Tucson.

Edit: just checked the cabin air filters. They 're still $22.99/set of 3. Engine filters have gone up a bit. About $22 for 2, And a combo cabin/engine filter set, as well.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the 3 pack of cabin filters. They have shipped already by drone and should be here in a few hours. Ain't life great!!!
Actually will be here tuesday :)
My engine air filter was replaced at 6k miles for some stupid reason so it's good to go for a few more miles. Amazon continues to say the ones for the Elantra sedan won't fit mine but they are the same I now know.

Walt

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you seen the Amazon commercial with the drone delivery system that is being planned? :)

Walt

·
Registered
105 Posts
Most DIY filters do not fit the GT !

I just went through a DIY intake air filter change, and I can tell you most of the aftermarket filters that supposedly fit Elantras did not fit the GT.

The one filter that fit was this NPN Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive

I tried a few others from Amazon, and they did not fit the GT, because they were sticking out a little and could not close the box. For example, the FRAM did not work FRAM CA10889 Panel Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive

I noticed that the original filter had alternating short and tall ribs. There are fins on the bottom of the filter housing that go in between the tall ribs. Notice, that the FRAM and the Beck-Arnley filters do not have the short ribs, and the fins on the bottom prop the filter up and the box doesn't close.
Notice, that the NPN filter has short and long ribs and it fit perfectly.

I don't know if all Elantras have the fins. Maybe some don't and would fit the FRAM, but there is no way for me to know, since I have access only to my car.

Attached is a picture of the original filter so you can see the short and tall ribs. The NPN filter is exactly the same on the bottom, the FRAM is all tall ribs.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had no problem installing the fram...
I blame wizards.

·
22,788 Posts
I just went through a DIY intake air filter change, and I can tell you most of the aftermarket filters that supposedly fit Elantras did not fit the GT.

The one filter that fit was this NPN Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive

I tried a few others from Amazon, and they did not fit the GT, because they were sticking out a little and could not close the box. For example, the FRAM did not work FRAM CA10889 Panel Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive

I noticed that the original filter had alternating short and tall ribs. There are fins on the bottom of the filter housing that go in between the tall ribs. Notice, that the FRAM and the Beck-Arnley filters do not have the short ribs, and the fins on the bottom prop the filter up and the box doesn't close.
Notice, that the NPN filter has short and long ribs and it fit perfectly.

I don't know if all Elantras have the fins. Maybe some don't and would fit the FRAM, but there is no way for me to know, since I have access only to my car.

Attached is a picture of the original filter so you can see the short and tall ribs. The NPN filter is exactly the same on the bottom, the FRAM is all tall ribs.
What you're referring to as "ribs" are known in the filter community as "pleats or, baffles." Some are uniform across the face, some have alternating high/low points.
The filter should fit just fine IF it is the correct one for the car. There is a lot of depth in that air box. Make sure your filter is seated correctly into the slots and that the neoprene strip around the edge hasn't slipped off in a couple of places. That would prevent the top from sitting squarely down into the slots on the housing.

You probably already know this part: The pleats point down. There should be an arrow on the side of the filter to indicate the direction of air flow. If your filter has an angled configuration on one corner of the frame, it's impossible to mount it incorrectly.

Your filter should look like the one, below:

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Okie, thank you for pointing out the correct term - "pleats".

The filter in your picture, although with the correct geometry, would absolutely not fit my Elantra GT, because there are fins on the bottom of the housing that go into the short pleats between the long pleats. An all-long-pleated filter like the one in your picture would stick out of the housing.
I'm sure of this, because I went through 2 such filters (FRAM and Beck Arnley) before I realized something was propping them up. Then searched by picture, and the first filter with alternating short and long pleats fit like a glove.

Now, I don't doubt that people were able to install the all-long-pleated filters in their Elantras, which leads me to believe that there are differences in the filter housings. Whether these differences are intentional or depend on the parts bin they had that day, I don't know. The OEM Hyundai part is short and long pleats and would fit all boxes.
Brace1 just ordered the long-pleated. I'd like to know how it turned out.

I'd like to hear from a person with a US model 2013 Elantra GT, what kind of filter fit, with or without modifications to the filter housing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Brace1 just ordered the long-pleated. I'd like to know how it turned out.

I'd like to hear from a person with a US model 2013 Elantra GT, what kind of filter fit, with or without modifications to the filter housing.
Ruh roh. I'll post up results, although it won't be until March when I plan to change it at the 1 year mark.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Your filter should look like the one, below:
I changed my air filter last spring (I bought it from the dealer...less than $20 iirc) and it looked like Rich's pic. I don't have the box but the invoice should be somewhere...I'll look for it and get a part number if I can remember to look through the glove box where I keep em.

stanjo I don't remember there being ridges that interlocked with the "pleats" (have to use the right terms here or the filter enthusiasts like okierich might get upset ;p)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I changed my air filter last spring (I bought it from the dealer...less than $20 iirc) and it looked like Rich's pic. I don't have the box but the invoice should be somewhere...I'll look for it and get a part number if I can remember to look through the glove box where I keep em.

stanjo I don't remember there being ridges that interlocked with the "pleats" (have to use the right terms here or the filter enthusiasts like okierich might get upset ;p)
Canadian vs. USA model maybe? And so, the plot thickens ....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ruh roh. I'll post up results, although it won't be until March when I plan to change it at the 1 year mark.
Just installed both air and cabin filter (13 months and 19.5K miles) at oil change time. They fit perfectly, so was relieved I didn't waste my money, $20 is still $20. The ebay seller doesn't seem to have these in stock any longer, at least at this point.

I made notes for myself as follows along with saved searches on ebay, with the replacement #'s coming off the boxes -

Air filter = PA6118 or A26118 (see ebay) replaces FRAM CA10889
Cabin filter = R22546 or C35660 (see ebay) replaces OEM 97133-2H000 Purolator C35660, FRAM CF10719, Wix 49377

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a GT, bought the inexpensive STP air filter at Autozone (hard to find in stock an numerous stores) and same problem as Stanjo- unable to close the box- the STP for the GT is slightly taller than the Hyundai filter. I may just have to pick one up at the dealer and hopefully not pay ridiculous $$$.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts