Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mentioned this on the "problems" thread, but I'm wondering if any of you are experiencing this. I'm a fanatic about keeping the windows clean and I'm finding that after 4-5 days I have to re-clean the inside windows b/c of some type of fogging that is a PITA to remove without streaking the windows.

This also brings great concern that if the plastics, carpet, etc are outgassing that I'm breathing this in and it's coating my lungs like it's coating the windows!!

Anyone else?

Ray

·
Registered
24 Posts
My wife's Sonata has the exact same "issue". Get's pretty nasty rather quickly. We aren't using Armor-All or any products like that which would make it even worse.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's been mentioned elsewhere in another thread, but I've been using this technique for a few years on several vehicles.

Use an ammonia-free glass cleaning product (I don't remember the brand I use, but it foams when sprayed) and use wadded up newspaper as your paper towels for clean-up. The newspaper somehow tends to "break down" this filmy/fogginess...

Works for me anyway... Good luck!

·
1,914 Posts
For those of you that don't know, I'm a detailer at a hyundai dealer. This has been a common problem with the newer hyundai's and has always been a problem with kia's. The Accents are by far the worst seeing how we clean them and they fog up in a couple days even worse.

I have the problem in my Sonata as well. We have had customers come back and I told one of the people who bought a Sorento to get some rain-x and apply it to the inside windshield. They told me that had worked but I have yet to try it on my car. It's not only your car though and seems to be happening more and more on the hyundai's.

·
Registered
564 Posts
This issue is common in most new cars. It has been an issue in most of my new cars over the past 20 years. The more plastics the automakers use, the more outgassing you will have.

I just cleaned the inside of my windows a few days ago. The best cleaner I have found recently is TurtleWax ClearVue foaming autoglass cleaner http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,35 Picked it up at Walmart. I usually have to clean the inside of the windshield twice fully to get it crystal clear, but it will stay clear for 2-3 weeks at a time. The inside of the rear window is the same way...clean it twice and it is clear for 2-3 weeks. I do not spray the cleaner directly on the glass as I do not want it getting on the dash, so I spray it on a folded paper towel first and then just wipe/scrub the glass several times. I then immediately follow-up with a clean, dry paper towel. Repeat until window is fully clean.

RainX makes a product for interior glass http://www.rainx.com/Products/Windshield_T...t/Anti-Fog.aspx but it unfortunately is not very good. It is difficult to work with and can make more of a mess than it tries to prevent. If the glass is not 100% clean before you apply it, it will lock the film in instead of eliminate it.

Original RainX that is intended for exterior glass really should not be used on the interior.

Cleaning the inside of the glass every 2-3 weeks is the best way to keep the outgassing under control. The heavier the film gets, the harder it is to clean off.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The place where I got my tint from told me to go to Sam's Club and get their AMMONIA FREE CLEANER. I don't remember the name but it comes like 3 or 4 cans to the package and the cans are blue and white... then use a microfiber towel to clean with....

It seems to be doing a good job for me....... I do get some fogging but not like what you guys are describing here..

I bought my car in Mar and still haven't used a can up and I am OCD....

·
Registered
7 Posts
My '11 Sonata id doing the same thing. Had car since April, only 3500 miles on it, don't smoke in the car and my windows film up really bad after about a week or two. I'm just wondering if the gassing is something we should be inhaling, IMO. Doesn't sound healthy.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I heard of plastic venting vapor after it has been molded, but to leave a film on the glass? That seems like a lot of vapor. It should also stop at some point.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Cheap, effective window cleaner....

Mix about 1 gallon of water with about 1/2 cup vinegar.
This combo is also safe on tinted windows.
Costs almost nothing to do it yourself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
+1 on the fogging issue
I've been using this thing with some foaming glass cleaner works pretty well but yeah it films up pretty quickly

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (wrs @ Nov 19 2010, 08:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373242
Better get an x ray on your lungs. Sounds serious. Better start legal action.
Thanks for the advice stupid!! :thumbsup:

I use Sprayway Window cleaner in the (blue and white) can and the blue shop type paper towels. Used the Sprayway for >10 years, works flawlessly to clean any windows/ glass. I have not had this occur in any other vehicle I've ever owned, all of which have been purchased new.

Ray

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got a couple of good glass cleaners, both ammonia free. I just don't like having to use them so much! haha

The last 4 cars we've bought were new and none of them had this issue.

2004 Mazda 3 - no issue like this.
2007 Mazda CX9 - no issue
2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - no issue
2011 Sonata - pretty bad film

I'm sure it's from the gas the plastics are giving off, just unfortunate I guess as I doubt there is anything that can be done other than to wait it out and eventually it will stop I'm sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is called "out-gassing" and you'll get it in any new car with plastic and vinyl in it (ie. all of them). I don't have a Hyundai but I've had this happen to various degrees in every new car I've bought.

It should go away after a period of time as the plastics cure but I agree it can be a pain to keep cleaning windows over and over for it. I'm fanatical about keeping the inside of my windows clean.

I will say, that on my Sonata test drive Friday, the "new car smell" was extremely powerful and gave me a headache almost instantly. I assume it's just the types of plastics and other materials Hyundai uses and I assume/hope that this smell dissipates quickly.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Just wanted to add that carpet is a big out-gasser, so just about every surface in the interior will be adding to the problem. Way-back-when I was good friends with a scientist of chemistry. He would go on and on about auto interiors and plasticisors and out-gassing, and the fogging of windows. He was not so concerned with breathing the vapors, he worried that what is out-gassing is what keeps the plastics soft, and that they will become hard and brittle with age. I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think all cars do this to some extent. It seems they do it worse when parked outside in the hot summer sun. I have a 1986 Ford F150 that has an all original interior and is always parked outside. I don't drive it very often, maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks, but almost every time I do the windows are covered with this film on the inside that I have to clean. 25 years and the outgassing is still going strong with it. The Sonata stays in the garage when it's home and we haven't had to clean the windows yet (had it for 2 months now). Wife did mention that they were getting a little foggy looking, so it's probably time. Micro fiber towels are the best to use on windows and work much better than paper towels.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
hmmmm, had the car since April and haven't noticed a issue yet or cleaned the windows since then. I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow but view out front and driver and passenger window is crystal clear.

As for new car smell it stuck around for about 4 months.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I got some green microfiber window rags from Autozone, and use nothing but water. Leaves a perfect streak free shine everytime. The inside of the windows stay clean, and the outsides do fine till external elements attack.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts