Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
QUOTE (Lewicki @ Dec 5 2010, 11:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377102
Anyone top off the gas tank when filling up?

No, and you're not supposed to. I remember watching a program call " how its made". It talked about how important it is to not top off. The fuel tank needs a little room for the vapors to expand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really?? thanks , it was just weird bc i filled up the car 2 weeks ago and the computer said 379 miles to empty and now when i filled up today it said 355. Maybe bc i didnt have the eco driving button on 2 weeks ago idkkkk

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Though I am just learning the systems of Hyundai, I do know that on many vehicles, it will screw up the evap systems by flooding an area that is only supposed to contain vapors. Considering everything from the station pumps, gas caps and owner's manuals say not to do, if someone should and damages the system, I would think they'd deny a warranty claim for repairs. In the end, is that last liter worth it? Considering the amount you pump is likely pulled back into the gas nozzles recovery, you're paying for fuel you're not getting.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
From the Hyundai web site, QUOTE
Refuel wisely
It is best to refuel in early morning or late evening, as these times of day are cooler. In cooler weather, your Sonata Turbo will release fewer evaporative emissions. Finally, never top off your tank beyond the automatic shutoff point.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Someone should tell the people at full service gas stations. They always round it to the nearest dollar so it may not be a total top up but once the auto system stops they will manually put in more till it hits the nearest dollar. My dad also did it too cause he pays with cash and didn't want change back, I never do it as I use pay pass so who cares if it's $31.21.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I forgot about this.
I know all of us like to get as much gas in as possible, so we don't have to refuel as often.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I fill mine up to the point where the pump automatically shuts off. Is that what your talking about? I highly doubt they would make a car where filling it to the top damages it. Thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard.

·
Registered
59 Posts
QUOTE (VisualMethod @ Dec 6 2010, 09:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377499
I fill mine up to the point where the pump automatically shuts off. Is that what your talking about? I highly doubt they would make a car where filling it to the top damages it. Thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard.
You are filling up correctly Visual. The problem occurs when people keep trying to get that last couple of squeezes in after the automatic shutoff from the pump. This has also caused a strong fuel odor inside the cabin from other postings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts