Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In March of last year, I passed my beloved 2012 Elantra GLS down to my daughter and bought myself a new 2017 Elantra SE.

I gave the new design over a year, but it never grew on me. Every time my daughter came home with my 2012 or I saw another Fifth Gen on the road, I let out a heavy mental sigh.

I finally decided enough is enough. Life's too short. Last weekend, I traded in my 2017 SE with 22,000 miles in like new condition for a similarly equipped 2015 SE with 8,000 miles in like new condition. Obviously I lost some money on the exchange, but I don't care. I couldn't be happier, and at the end of the day, that's all that really matters to me.

I'm not knocking the Sixth Gens. They're great cars. I just prefer the way the Fifth Gens look and the way they drive.

Are there any other nut jobs out there that have either traded back or have at least contemplated trading back? :smile:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am the original owner of a 2014 Elantra Limited and I too have seriously contemplated trading in my E that is in excellent condition and below average miles for a new 2018 Elantra Limited but I just couldn't do it..... I like the improved features of the 18's but it just seemed boring. While haggling with the dealer over the value of my current E and fair price for the new one (UGGGHHH) I looked out the window using the key fob to make the new one light up in the parking lot and it just didn't look like my current one. Same color inside and out they both were but the new one didn't look as sleek and swoopy (yes, that's a technical term) as my current one. Didn't look as long and have interesting curves and creases. I'm sure it's a good car and as everything goes it's likely "improved" over my current one but I just didn't look at it the same way. Of course the dealer tried to sell me on a "one time only offer" and the "deal of a lifetime" (uh huh.... alrighty) but it just wasn't for me. Still to this day, happy I walked away. And to you, welcome back. :)

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I drove a 2017 last summer for a week, the only thing better than my 2011 was fuel economy. The overall handling and ride quality was similar and interior was worse in styling and comfort.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Did you ever look into the sport model?

I am the original owner of a 2014 Elantra Limited and I too have seriously contemplated trading in my E that is in excellent condition and below average miles for a new 2018 Elantra Limited but I just couldn't do it..... I like the improved features of the 18's but it just seemed boring. While haggling with the dealer over the value of my current E and fair price for the new one (UGGGHHH) I looked out the window using the key fob to make the new one light up in the parking lot and it just didn't look like my current one. Same color inside and out they both were but the new one didn't look as sleek and swoopy (yes, that's a technical term) as my current one. Didn't look as long and have interesting curves and creases. I'm sure it's a good car and as everything goes it's likely "improved" over my current one but I just didn't look at it the same way. Of course the dealer tried to sell me on a "one time only offer" and the "deal of a lifetime" (uh huh.... alrighty) but it just wasn't for me. Still to this day, happy I walked away. And to you, welcome back. :)
I second this, we had a 2017 base rental for a week and though the handling was a bit better with less road noise the interior was a major kill. It just looked kinda cheap with lots of empty spaces.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts