Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She loves just about everything about the car except for the fact the radio volume turns waaaay down when car is in reverse. I have to admit, I find this feature ridiculous. Some people say it helps the driver “see better”, but I consider that absurd. I’ve been driving since I was 16 years old (I’m 38 now) and have never gotten into a car accident while reversing, regardless of whether I have the radio cranked on or turned off. I get it though, some need silence while backing their cars up, and others (like me and my fiancé) do not, so therefore the options to turn this feature on/off should be up to the driver and not the manufacturer. So I’m on here, asking if there is any way to disable this stupid nanny-state feature?

Also, while my 2016 Sonata Hybrid is at the dealership for warranty repairs, I’m using a loaner from the dealership. A 2018 Elantra with the same dumb feature. How do we disable this? Please tell me there is a way!!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Seriously dude, how far do you drive in reverse? Have a 1/2 mile driveway and can't turn around?

Glad she likes the car except for this Major Defect!

It's done for a good reason.

·
Registered
206 Posts
See if you disable the speed adjusting volume feature if that turns it off.. I don't think my 2016 does this, but if it does, I have never noticed...

·
Registered
167 Posts
She loves just about everything about the car except for the fact the radio volume turns waaaay down when car is in reverse. I have to admit, I find this feature ridiculous. Some people say it helps the driver “see better”, but I consider that absurd. I’ve been driving since I was 16 years old (I’m 38 now) and have never gotten into a car accident while reversing, regardless of whether I have the radio cranked on or turned off. I get it though, some need silence while backing their cars up, and others (like me and my fiancé) do not, so therefore the options to turn this feature on/off should be up to the driver and not the manufacturer. So I’m on here, asking if there is any way to disable this stupid nanny-state feature?

Also, while my 2016 Sonata Hybrid is at the dealership for warranty repairs, I’m using a loaner from the dealership. A 2018 Elantra with the same dumb feature. How do we disable this? Please tell me there is a way!!
That’s horable, go for Lemon Law. No one should be deprived of there music for that long.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seriously dude, how far do you drive in reverse? Have a 1/2 mile driveway and can't turn around?

Glad she likes the car except for this Major Defect!

It's done for a good reason.
“It’s done for a good reason “
—could you elaborate on this please?

I rented a car from Budget car rentals about ten years ago. Either the manufacturer or the rental agency installed a governor that prevented the car from going faster than 75 mph. The radio muted when the car was in drive/reverse when a seatbelt was unfastened. Also, the radio’s max volume was somehow rigged to only go up halfway. This was all done “for a good reason” claimed the rental car company. I rent cars frequently while on trips, but will never touch Budget ever again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Disregard all of the snarky comments. I would find that very annoying as well. I hope you find a way to disable that "feature" and I hope that doesn't become a trend with other manufacturers although each one seems to have their own idea about how to improve safety. On new Camrys the album art and pictures on your contacts disappear as soon as the car is shifted out of park.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just bought one, too and noticed that right away. I am guessing that is because rear parking sensors and rear cross traffic alert are available options and they wanted the warnings to be audible over the music.
Well we can still hear the warnings when the radio is on at the volume level we usually listen at. It’s really annoying when I’m listening to a news report or an audiobook book and it mutes, I miss portions of what I’m listening to.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See if you disable the speed adjusting volume feature if that turns it off.. I don't think my 2016 does this, but if it does, I have never noticed...
I’ll try that. Yea I have a ‘16 Sonata Hybrid and this dumb “feature” isn’t in the car. Thank God.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

That’s horable, go for Lemon Law. No one should be deprived of there music for that long.
Please. It’s the fact the manufacturer wants to force feed us a “safety feature” I have a problem with. I can drive just fine without it. In fact, have been for 22 years. No accidents caused by loud music. No accidents period.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Disregard all of the snarky comments. I would find that very annoying as well. I hope you find a way to disable that "feature" and I hope that doesn't become a trend with other manufacturers although each one seems to have their own idea about how to improve safety. On new Camrys the album art and pictures on your contacts disappear as soon as the car is shifted out of park.
Thanks for the reply! I’m going to look further into the system and see if I missed an option. As for the Camry’s, that’s kinda a bummer. I was actually looking into trading my HSH for the Camry Hybrid next year. The album thing isn’t such a big deal for me as long as I can still change songs on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
I would think it is all part of a safety study that someone performed showing better attention to the warnings with the volume lowered. its no different than the airlines asking personal electronics to be off during take off and landing, the main reason was to get passengers attention on the safety lecture and not on their phones or games.

As already suggested check the speed sensing volume feature in sound settings and see if turning that off helps

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is an easily disabled feature. You can change it using your steering wheel controls. It's 1,2,3 really. So.... no big deal.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would think it is all part of a safety study that someone performed showing better attention to the warnings with the volume lowered. its no different than the airlines asking personal electronics to be off during take off and landing, the main reason was to get passengers attention on the safety lecture and not on their phones or games.

As already suggested check the speed sensing volume feature in sound settings and see if turning that off helps
Ok, I’ll check it out. I went through some of the options. I did see that one in particular, so I’ll try it. Thank you.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hoping it's not a trend among car and audio manufacturers but this is why they do it.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ask-the-brains-background-noise/

It is proven that loud sound can and will impede concentration.
Im sure sound does impede concentration. It just feels like we are heading in a direction that will basically eliminate the radio in cars altogether. If they really wanted to tackle the problem, if there REALLY is a problem, add sensors that detect objects behind the car/tires.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Im sure sound does impede concentration. It just feels like we are heading in a direction that will basically eliminate the radio in cars altogether. If they really wanted to tackle the problem, if there REALLY is a problem, add sensors that detect objects behind the car/tires.
Oh, I agree with you on the Nanny State crap invading daily life.
But you can thank lawyers and people who take zero personal responsibility for their actions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts