Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone...

As some of you may know, I am currently in the process of fighting it out with Hyundai and their donkey's behind regional rep who claims that my seat falling apart at 30,000 miles is considered "normal wear and tear". I have opened a claim against Hyundai through the BBB Auto Line (my only option at this juncture) and am building the strongest case possible to get them to honor the seat under warranty.

I have dye coming off the gray leather in three different places:

> The bottom cushion on the outboard side
> The backrest on the top inboard side (near where the perforated and solid sections meet)
> A small line running top to bottom about six inches long on the perforated section of the back rest.

If I could get the assistance of those with the gray or beige leather interior with over 30,000 miles to post some photos of their driver's seat and if willing, PM me the last eight digits of your VIN, I'd be eternally grateful. Just one photo of the bottom cushion and one of the backrest will do nicely, in decent quality, lighting and size, please. :thumbsup:

I already have one set of photos sent to me from a good friend who works at a dealer that took in a car just like mine and the seat looks brand new. I plan on using these photos as well as the peeling steering wheel thread as ammo against the company and to prove that their leather does not have the greatest track record.

Thanks Again

·
22,792 Posts
Sure wish I could help, Andrew! Have not had this issue, yet. I know you'll understand when I say, "I hope I don't." But suffice it to say, should this issue arise on Ingrid, you'll know. You'll hear me cussing 2,000 miles away! So will Hyundai!

One look at the overall appearance of Emma will more than suffice to prove she has led a pampered life. Now, if there were cigarette butts in the floor, last month's newspapers, candy wrappers, Starbucks styrofoam cups, etc. littering the interior, that would be one thing. In Emma's case, and a credit to you, this is NOT the case.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's what my seats look like. Yup...normal wear and tear. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Notice three spots here; one along the stitching line and two on the top portion of the backrest where I rarely put much pressure.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly the creases don't bother me as I know it's normal for leather to wear like that. The stitching falling apart and the dye coming off does.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Honestly the creases don't bother me as I know it's normal for leather to wear like that. The stitching falling apart and the dye coming off does.
Hmm I guess I can see why THEY would think that is normal wear and tear "the loss of dye" but not the stitching that's messed up. Can't they just re-dye it for you? I don't see that being that big of a deal.. an hour or two and BAM job done, you're on your way.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had that dye repair done once before on a gray leather steering wheel roughly the same color as my seats. It looks nice when new but rubs off in a matter of months...definitely not a permanent solution. Personally the way I see it if they're going to hand out replacement leather wheels like Ed McMahon, I should get a damm seat out of the deal. :evil:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had that dye repair done once before on a gray leather steering wheel roughly the same color as my seats. It looks nice when new but rubs off in a matter of months...definitely not a permanent solution. Personally the way I see it if they're going to hand out replacement leather wheels like Ed McMahon, I should get a damm seat out of the deal. :evil:
That's true, however, I'm not sure that the leather seat issue is as big as the steering wheel one. I guess only time will tell. Even still, they should make good on replacing your seat. That's just BS!

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I've often praised Hyundai for its ability to walk the line between quality and price, but apparently leather is the exception. The beige leather in my Santa Fe always seemed kinda stiff, and quickly developed crack lines and blue stains from my jeans.... both widespread complaints among Hyundai owners. Then the peeling Elantra steering wheels, and now this.

I remember when leather used to be reserved for luxury cars, and was always plush and expensive to the touch. Maybe it's time we went back to those days.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I remember when leather used to be reserved for luxury cars, and was always plush and expensive to the touch. Maybe it's time we went back to those days.
I think you hit the nail on the head!

I don't think you can use economy (inexpensive) leather and expect a premium result. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear

·
Registered
279 Posts
That's the same color leather I have on my Limited and looks nothing like that but I only have 24,000 miles on it. That does not look normal, my seats still look new.

·
6,836 Posts
My husband's seat started bulging at around only 5k. I think it's because the Xterras generally come with cloth, so the leather in his top-of-the-line version is somewhat of an afterthought. Nissan replaced it with no hassle. I don't know why Hyundai can't just do the same. Have you thought about taking it to a different dealership?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My husband's seat started bulging at around only 5k. I think it's because the Xterras generally come with cloth, so the leather in his top-of-the-line version is somewhat of an afterthought. Nissan replaced it with no hassle. I don't know why Hyundai can't just do the same. Have you thought about taking it to a different dealership?
It's not the dealership. The two I've been to have been sympathetic and both have said, "If it were up to me, you'd have a new seat right now." But sadly it isn't up to them and none have the courage to cover it and then fight the DPSM (District Parts & Service Manager) on the matter.

I've met our region's DPSM once before and let's just say it was one time too many. He's quite possibly the most unpleasant person I've ever had the displeasure of encountering.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I e gotta ask: what are you using to clean the leather seats with? I'm by no means blaming you, but I did notice on my old sonatas certain cleaners I'd used caused the dye to come up and it also swelled the stitching in places, much like what I see here.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head!

I don't think you can use economy (inexpensive) leather and expect a premium result. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear
I just purchased my Elantra with same colored seats as the OP. The odometer on this car just peaked 29k. I'll keep an eye out for this. The steering wheel already has the issues described elsewhere on this forum.

My experiences with leather seats?

• My 2006 Azera driver's side light-gray leather seat took on the color of my black leather belt I wore - right where my beltline rode. However, that seemed to be a non-issue when I traded it in.
  • I had issues with the maroon leather seats in my 1990 Volvo 740GLE. I'm pushing it to say that they were premium leather in a Volvo too. On those seats I had places where something with an "adhesive" backing had clung to the seat and, when I removed that sticky item, the dark dye came right out of the seat with it.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I e gotta ask: what are you using to clean the leather seats with? I'm by no means blaming you, but I did notice on my old sonatas certain cleaners I'd used caused the dye to come up and it also swelled the stitching in places, much like what I see here.
Leather cleaner and a soft microfiber towel. I'm gentle with them and only do it once a year.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
*Bump*

While I appreciate the feedback regarding warranty coverage and how it pertains to this, it doesn't change the fact that I still need pics if you can supply them. I'll take all the help I can get. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts