Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering a new 1.2 Auto for my wife. All she wants is a traditional auto box rather than all the Tiptronic type paddle options which seem to be common now - so it seems like a good choice.
I have searched for feedback on reliability & driving issues with the i10 and generally they seem great.
Can somebody offer so feedback on the auto version though please? Nice to drive? Any problems with slow kick-down? Any other issues?!
Many thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi.
My daughter bought one under scrappage - picked it up mid January this year.
Although it's her car (she lives at home), myself and my wife drive it whenever we can to save fuel.
That said, it's not particularly economical... maybe 35 mpg???
No idea what <actual> MPG we're getting and frankly it doesn't really matter fretting about.
It gets what it gets.
And anyway, it's got to be more economic than my wife's car - a Toyota Landcrusier.
It's a great car. Very nippy; kickdown seems fine. (All our driving is town driving so I haven't experienced what it's like up steep hills).
Our local dealer had an auto demo so we tried it first.
I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Mark

·
Registered
168 Posts
Our automatic i10 is a year old and has covered about 4000 miles. We were used to the comfort of a five seater Citroën C4 Picasso with a 2L Diesel engine and the robot gearbox, when we made the switch.

Despite its small size, the little Hyundai is remarkably comfortable and the auto box is very smooth. It shows none of the faults that you fear. Recently, at our first annual service, I mentioned that I thought that the accelerator cable might have stretched or need lubrication because the pick-from rest in traffic was slightly jerky. After the service all was perfect again. (These are issues that most drivers fix for themselves but I only detected the fault just before the service was due).

I have driven a number of hire cars with the conventional fluid flywheel auto system and this is up with or better than the best of them.

Our longest single journey has been 1000 miles (with overnight stops) and comfort has not been a problem, despite the fact that my wife and I are not small people!

There is a snag, our fuel consumption average for the year has been 35.7mpg but with such a low annual mileage comfort wins and we do use the airco almmost all the time.

If you do get the car, please post your experience with consumption in due course. You are quite correct in saying that there are too few reports from us automatic drivers.

Good luck whatever your decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your useful replies; what you say has helped make up my mind!
We have a test drive booked for next week and as long as she feels comfortable in it, I think the decision is made. I will let you know.
I do wonder if the new semi automatic systems with paddle gear changes are really the best move by manufacturers. It seems that they improve mpg and the driving experience [if you enjoy driving], but perhaps they don't suit everybody who simply wants to get from A to B with the minimum fuss. As an example, the new Honda Jazz was high on our list, but it gets some very poor write-ups regarding it's i-SHIFT system, which appears to be a backward step from the previous models.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This i10 1.2 auto is my first automatic transmission car. I had never driven one before, not even for a test drive! Driving off the forecourt, after purchase, was my first taste. All my previous motors were manuals, the most recent one being an i10 1.2 Classic.

The 4-speed 'torque converter' gearbox on the i10 is not new. It has been used for several years in other Hyundai & Kia models and is well-proven. I cannot compare it to any others but it seems very smooth to me. The car is deceptively nippy, although not as quick as my previous manual i10.

The 1st fill-up yielded 36.9 mpg; the 2nd one was 39.5 mpg. I have only driven about 700 miles, so far, and only 100 of those were on the motorway. The rest were in town. Obviously, the auto gearbox is sapping power, but the tyres are also slightly wider than the manuals (175s vs 165s), so that must also reduce FE. I would be satisfied if my average were above 40 mpg.

I am still fairly gentle with the car. I shall not force it to kickdown until it has covered over 1000 miles, so I am unable to comment on that aspect.

Overall, it is a terrific small car and I love it!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
QUOTE (atinod @ Apr 30 2010, 12:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318169
I am seriously considering a new 1.2 Auto for my wife. All she wants is a traditional auto box rather than all the Tiptronic type paddle options which seem to be common now - so it seems like a good choice.
I have searched for feedback on reliability & driving issues with the i10 and generally they seem great.
Can somebody offer so feedback on the auto version though please? Nice to drive? Any problems with slow kick-down? Any other issues?!
Many thanks.
Hi and :00000732: to the forums

·
Registered
168 Posts
Oops! Forgot that you asked about kick-down

It is very effective when you need it. I have to enter Spanish urban motorway traffic streams and the acceleration is good enough to do so safely; I don't always have to use the kick-down to do so.

·
Registered
283 Posts
QUOTE (atinod @ Apr 30 2010, 12:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318169
Many thanks.
We are not new to auto's but we have only had our i10 a short while and clocked just under 1000 miles. The car too was bought for my wife as she was finding her manual was beginning to trouble her hip. This weekend’s 70mph motorway trip down to the midlands and back has returned; to Carlisle 37, Carlisle to Stoke 42 and 46 mpg Stoke to Carlisle. (not filled the car since our arrival back home so one set of mpg values are missing). I have to say I could not fault the auto box. It is not in any way slow when getting up to 70 mph in the length of the lead-in lanes before joining the motorway. Neither is it slow when accelerating with normal motorway traffic in top. OK, there was just the two of us plus all our luggage but we did not feel lost in the fast lane when traffic speeded up etc. Having said that, the next rip down will be in our auto Zafira which does not use much more fuel but offers a more refined trip. –I wish the i10 radio had an auto volume control for a start !!

The auto box is very smooth and seamless and compared to the 107 and its Aygo/C1 clones, the smart and the Mitsubishi Colt we looked at. The fluid coupling wins hands down. For a start we do not get that horrible feeling we got with the likes of the auto 107’s, smart and Colt etc where for us there was a seemingly very l..o..n..g. delay between 1st disengaging and second engaging. In fact we had more than one fright when pulling out in heavy traffic at a junction or especially a large roundabout where we often found that before we have made it fully onto it, the system changed gear for us and we felt very vulnerable while the system swapped the cogs and reengaged 2nd. It may be no slower changing than a manual box but with a manual you still feel in control and not as we did with the tiptronic types. The i10 does not suffer from that frightening pause and as I said earlier, the i10 changes are fluid with almost continual acceleration.

Around town etc ours is in top by 30 mph on the flat and will drive up shallow inclines without a change. Obviously a heavy right foot will either prod it to drop down to third or of pressed further kick it down to 2nd. Neither of us have used the kick down facility for in town driving as yet, which says volumes for the car I suppose. (All our changes are made below 3000 rpm.)
Although I have not read if the fluid coupling stops slipping at 40mph, from driving we have noticed that if traffic conditions slow you down while driving up an incline, come 40mph the revs will sometimes increase by approx 500rpm. We initially thought this was the change to 3rd but ruled that out by pressing the 3rd gear lock and noting the further increased revs.

One annoyance is the fact the i10 auto does not automatically disengage the drive when sitting at traffic lights unlike our Zafira. The 2nd minor annoyance for me is that I easily catch the 3rd gear lock button on the selector lever with my thumb from time to time as I slot the gear selector in and out of ‘N’ while waiting traffic lights. My wife on the other hand does not have the same problem with the 3rd gear lock.

We have no problems recommending the auto i10. It is a different beast to the lower powered and wheezy auto Kia Picanto which at the time we drove it with the lower cc engine it lacked the usable torque the i10 has.
In fact we have a tow bar ordered which we would not have placed if we felt the i10 auto was lacking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The automatic transmission is not designed to be put into "N" or "P" every time the car is brought to a standstill, rather it is intended that the driver leaves the selector in the "D" position for all normal driving activites including waiting at traffic lights etc.

Driving the car as intended might overcome the issue of accidentally activating the lock button :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, thank you for all the useful comments.
We test drove an i10 and an i20 back to back on Tues. I was very impressed with the i10's performance and auto. Gear changes under 'normal' driving were very smooth and although changing down under hard acceleration was a little slow [as most traditional autos are compared to manuals], the i10 is so nippy it is not really something that you will need to do frequently. We headed up one local, steep hill for a few stop-starts and the car was great without a hint of rollback. The i10 is certainly the 'budget' end of cars, but taking into account the price it is very impressive. It cruised on the motorway at 75 and felt fine; much better than I expected. I noticed the squeaky seat belt mount though! Worst point; probably the rather cheap and nasty rear seats - but they look robust enough to last.
Interestingly, I was not so taken with the i20. For £3k more, one expects a better quality finish and so on, but the 1.4 seemed a little more under stress when pushed than the i10's 1.2. Overall, as a second car, we really didn't need the extra space and my wife loved the i10.
So, result, one i10 ordered, making use of a very nice £1700 min trade in on her old car.
I must add that the dealer was great, he just let us go off in both cars by ourselves and was not pushy at all - a very good experience overall!

·
Registered
283 Posts
QUOTE (atinod @ May 6 2010, 05:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320199
Well, thank you for all the useful comments.
We test drove an i10 and an i20 back to back on Tues. I was very impressed with the i10's performance and auto. Gear changes under 'normal' driving were very smooth and although changing down under hard acceleration was a little slow [as most traditional autos are compared to manuals], the i10 is so nippy it is not really something that you will need to do frequently. We headed up one local, steep hill for a few stop-starts and the car was great without a hint of rollback. The i10 is certainly the 'budget' end of cars, but taking into account the price it is very impressive. It cruised on the motorway at 75 and felt fine; much better than I expected. I noticed the squeaky seat belt mount though! Worst point; probably the rather cheap and nasty rear seats - but they look robust enough to last.
Interestingly, I was not so taken with the i20. For £3k more, one expects a better quality finish and so on, but the 1.4 seemed a little more under stress when pushed than the i10's 1.2. Overall, as a second car, we really didn't need the extra space and my wife loved the i10.
So, result, one i10 ordered, making use of a very nice £1700 min trade in on her old car.
I must add that the dealer was great, he just let us go off in both cars by ourselves and was not pushy at all - a very good experience overall!

Welcome to the team, well once it arrives. We believe we made the right choice but as with many things only time will tell.
:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts