Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Per the salesman it will. After watching a person walk across the road right in front of me, I don't think so because it seemed like the car didn't see a thing.

·
Registered
387 Posts
My observation is the accident avoidance & auto brake algorithm has some sort of fizzy logic :censored:. There were times that it should be activated but it didn't, and conversely there was one time that it activated but it didn't need to.

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Deer on the run are rarely a problem although I was hit by one when it bounced off the rear fender of my dually truck. It's the slow moving deer hanging out on the shoulder that get you when they spook and go the wrong way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Deer on the run are rarely a problem although I was hit by one when it bounced off the rear fender of my dually truck. It's the slow moving deer hanging out on the shoulder that get you when they spook and go the wrong way.
That may depend on location. When I drove through S. Dakota, there were Mule Deer everywhere along the side of the road, not a single one darted out or really paid any attention at all. But here in WI the deer seem to be suicidal, and will sometimes stand in the road, sometimes dart from next to the road, and sometimes just run across the road from nowhere. The last deer it hit, fit that last category. No warning or anything, I didn't see it until about a 10th of a second before impact.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That may depend on location. When I drove through S. Dakota, there were Mule Deer everywhere along the side of the road, not a single one darted out or really paid any attention at all. But here in WI the deer seem to be suicidal, and will sometimes stand in the road, sometimes dart from next to the road, and sometimes just run across the road from nowhere. The last deer it hit, fit that last category. No warning or anything, I didn't see it until about a 10th of a second before impact.
I almost hate to post this to jinx myself or set off a barrage of whistle comments, oh well. In MN we have deer big time living in the woods and most dangerous during Fall rutting and hunting time that really spooks them. My wife hit one 25 years ago and ever since I've spent $3-4 for a pair of deer whistles for the front fender and have never hit one since. Do they work? I don't know but even $4x8 vehicles over the past 25 years is a nit, we spend more than that for both of us to get a burger & beer. I put them on the Santa Fe using 3M outdoor double stick right into the front grill so they "whistle" and they've stayed there for 15 months through dozens of rains and car washes. Even in the daylight the deer look at me so I think they work. I also never drive above 45 mph in the dark the last 2 miles to my house just in case (yes I'm a grampa and my son doesn't agree with me on this one).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agreed. I think it would only help with a deer already in the road.
Per my experience, you're exactly right. I had a deer sprint in front of me that I just barely grazed as I stomped on the brakes. FCA did not activate. I imagine it would if it had a half second to detect the deer first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know Subaru's system differs from Hyundai's as it's camera and radar base, where as Subaru relies solely on cameras. But Subaru says it's pedestrian detection is among other things, tuned to how people walk or run through crosswalks and the silhouette of a person. So if Hyundai's is anything like Subaru's, perhaps the camera is only looking for 2 legged objects.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I almost hate to post this to jinx myself or set off a barrage of whistle comments, oh well. In MN we have deer big time living in the woods and most dangerous during Fall rutting and hunting time that really spooks them. My wife hit one 25 years ago and ever since I've spent $3-4 for a pair of deer whistles for the front fender and have never hit one since. Do they work? I don't know but even $4x8 vehicles over the past 25 years is a nit, we spend more than that for both of us to get a burger & beer. I put them on the Santa Fe using 3M outdoor double stick right into the front grill so they "whistle" and they've stayed there for 15 months through dozens of rains and car washes. Even in the daylight the deer look at me so I think they work. I also never drive above 45 mph in the dark the last 2 miles to my house just in case (yes I'm a grampa and my son doesn't agree with me on this one).
The State Of WI. DMV tested deer whistles and found them not to work. Several friends had those devices and still hit those damned deer. They are a menace 365 days of the year

·
Registered
745 Posts
What does the OM say?
My 2017 (obviously different) says that the AEB:

When the AEB is selected on the
LCD display, and when the following
prerequisites are satisfied.
  • The ESC (and TCS) is activated.
  • Driving speed exceeds approximately
6mph (10km/h). (The AEB
is only activated within a certain
speed range.)
- The system detects a pedestrian or
a vehicle in front, which may collide
with your vehicle. (The AEB may
not be activated or may sound a
warning alarm in accordance with
the driving situation or vehicle condition.)
Then there's a whole section of "limitations". does not mention animals at all (that I can see).
And the 2017 at least won't even completely stop the vehicle:

The braking control cannot
completely stop the vehicle nor
avoid all collisions. The driver
should hold the responsibility
to safely drive and control the
vehicle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What does the OM say?
My 2017 (obviously different) says that the AEB:

Then there's a whole section of "limitations". does not mention animals at all (that I can see).
And the 2017 at least won't even completely stop the vehicle:
The last paragraph makes sense because of road condition limitations to stop a vehicle...Gravel, sand, ice, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts