Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't care for the fog light functionality, I just want that big black fog lamp compartment section to be filled with something to bring out the shape of the bumper. right now the black fog lamp cut out looks horrible and very "GLS".

anyone have any ideas to fill it up with some kinda of flexible cut out lens ? I don't even want to remove the bumper, i just want to put a lens over the fog lamp cut out

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (mayasonata @ Aug 16 2010, 02:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349765
I really don't care for the fog light functionality, I just want that big black fog lamp compartment section to be filled with something so bring out the shape of the bumper. right now the black fog lamp cut out looks horrible and very "GLS".

anyone have any ideas to fill it up with some kinda of flexible cut out lens ?
I was thinking of removing black cover and adding black mesh to the back to the inside. Would look more like an air duct than a bumper filler.

·
Registered
854 Posts
You could just get the fog lamp housing, I can get one for you for $18.42 just for the fog light no bulbs.

Edit: Never mind just called up hyundai and that's only for the clear part, no back housing, that's another 75-95 bucks each.

I'd wait for something to come out of korea, or wait for aftermarket companies to start making "oem" looking parts for our car, you can save up to 75% off list price sometimes.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I "assume" you've looked at these:

<a href="http://sharkracing.com/acecart/bin/shop.cgi?action=view&itemID=fogcover&cate=012101000" target="_blank">2011 Sonata Black Foglight/Reflector Molding Kit
</a>

Sure, it doesn't completely cover the opening, but it might dull the impact of it, especially if these in black contrast with your Sonata's color.

They also make them in chrome although that may bring attention to the area rather than have it blend away.

In any event, I wonder if some sort of mesh could be affixed on the backside of these and provide the look you want?

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (JohnWho @ Aug 17 2010, 09:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349916
I "assume" you've looked at these:

<a href="http://sharkracing.com/acecart/bin/shop.cgi?action=view&itemID=fogcover&cate=012101000" target="_blank">2011 Sonata Black Foglight/Reflector Molding Kit
</a>

Sure, it doesn't completely cover the opening, but it might dull the impact of it, especially if these in black contrast with your Sonata's color.

They also make them in chrome although that may bring attention to the area rather than have it blend away.

In any event, I wonder if some sort of mesh could be affixed on the backside of these and provide the look you want?
I've seen these before and I can not for the life of me see the difference between the stock covers and aftermarket ones besides the color. What exactly are you getting???

Only difference is see is one is black and one is white. What are you paying for that is different?

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Aug 17 2010, 07:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349917
I've seen these before and I can not for the life of me see the difference between the stock covers and aftermarket ones besides the color. What exactly are you getting???

Only difference is see is one is black and one is white. What are you paying for that is different?
You are paying for the color. It blends the surround with the bottom grille. You could paint it, but this is reversible.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they sell only the clear lens, are u sure ? that's all I really care for. i don't care for the fog lamp to work i just want the foglamp compartment area to look filled rather than with a black cover.

QUOTE (eyecue @ Aug 17 2010, 08:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349909
You could just get the fog lamp housing, I can get one for you for $18.42 just for the fog light no bulbs.

Edit: Never mind just called up hyundai and that's only for the clear part, no back housing, that's another 75-95 bucks each.

I'd wait for something to come out of korea, or wait for aftermarket companies to start making "oem" looking parts for our car, you can save up to 75% off list price sometimes.

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (mayasonata @ Aug 17 2010, 11:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349940
they sell only the clear lens, are u sure ? that's all I really care for. i don't care for the fog lamp to work i just want the foglamp compartment area to look filled rather than with a black cover.
Yes I was talking to the parts guy this morning. You won't be able to install the clear lens without the back housing of the foglights. You are literally only getting the clear part nothing else. You'd only buy this if you have fog lights and cracked your lens.

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (mayasonata @ Aug 17 2010, 08:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349940
Wow. All you need now are light up signal mirrors and a limited badge and from the outside you will have people fooled.

QUOTE (eyecue @ Aug 17 2010, 09:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349949
I see, kinda useless on a black car!
I agree. That is why they also have a "bling bling" chrome version.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so I can just take that lens and stick glue it to the foglaight cover that's on the bumper now ?

I don't want to go through the trouble of taking off bumper etc

QUOTE (eyecue @ Aug 17 2010, 11:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349950
Yes I was talking to the parts guy this morning. You won't be able to install the clear lens without the back housing of the foglights. You are literally only getting the clear part nothing else. You'd only buy this if you have fog lights and cracked your lens.

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Aug 17 2010, 09:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349917

You can actually get chromed covers like this too. I was thinking maybe getting a set of these in chrome and put an LED strip in the middle connected to my DRL's.

That way you have form and fuction.

But if your really happy with the just faux lights why not use any aftermarket brand and glue them in place. Should be pretty easy to find a set that will fit.

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (mayasonata @ Aug 17 2010, 01:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349959
so I can just take that lens and stick glue it to the foglaight cover that's on the bumper now ?

I don't want to go through the trouble of taking off bumper etc
Doesn't exactly work like that. If you think about a fog light you have the clear lens that screws into the foglamp housing. The foglamp housing bolts to your bumper in place of the plastic fog lamp cover we have now on the gls. So just getting the clear lens wont' fit right, and if you glued it in it would look worse because you will probably have gaps everywhere. I'm 99% certain on this based on how my parts guy explained it to me. Your best bet is to go to your local dealer and ask to look at the following parts and go from there.

Partial Fog Lamp
Left Fog Lamp "lens" - 922313S000
Right Fog Lamp "lens - 822323S000

Fog Lamp Assembly (all of Fog Lamp including lens, Housing, bulb, Fog lamp Cap)
Left 922023S000
Right 922013S000

Whatever you don't buy till you talk to me first, I might be able to save you some money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts