Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Sonata or snotty as I call her! She has 71K on the Odometer, 4 cylinder, automatic transmission.

Recently the engine fault light came on, OB2 reader said number two cylinder was misfiring, I noticed it was running rough.
Since the coil was over $100 I changned the plugs....didn't help for long:( I compared the two coils and they ohm ed out identical.
On line Chilton manuals don't help much. Anyone got any ideas??

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
See that big ole grey/white spot on the coil body there at the air gap to the steel.....

Replace the coil... We usually advise 2 coils and wires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, sorry for the long wait in my return.
Swapped coils and the fault code still reads number two cylinder misfire!!

Next I want to check the fuel injector for Number two cylinder.

Questions:

How do I bleed off the pressure on the fuel rail?

Can I swap injectors? This way I an see if the problem moves from number two to another cylinder

Anything I need to know before I dive into this?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (grayonatray @ Sep 12 2010, 10:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355926
Ok, sorry for the long wait in my return.
Swapped coils and the fault code still reads number two cylinder misfire!!

Next I want to check the fuel injector for Number two cylinder.

Questions:

How do I bleed off the pressure on the fuel rail?
Don't worry about it, let car sit a few minutes, and have it it.. have a rag to cover where you open system, may squirt for split second, or just trickle out..

Can I swap injectors? This way I an see if the problem moves from number two to another cylinder
Swap away, see if misfire follows the injector, remember where you moved injector to though.... :thumbsup:

Anything I need to know before I dive into this?
Pretty straight forward... watch the clip on top of injector to fuel rail, think it has a metal clip you need to maybe wiggle off before you remove injector from rail, make sure o-ring is on injector, and apply a dab of vaseline to the o-rings so they gklide back into the holes..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had same issue on Elantra I twas a intake gasket. You can bleed the fuel by pulling fuel pump fuse under hood and run till stalls.
Before you do that spray carb cleaner around fuel injector and intake gasket . If its that It will stumble or run smooth as the spray enters the void in the gasket or injector seal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
had same,
tried everything...finally bought new spark plug wires and viola!!!!

Coundn't believe how much time i wasted, next time...simple things first

good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
yeah, new plugs and WIRES.... sometimes the after market wire are not cut exactly the same as OEM and will rub causing the spark to jump. good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my car to get the oil changed and when I left I saw the check engine light on. :rant2: :rant2: :rant2: :rant2: The read the code and it said that Cylinder #2 misfired and that I probably needed a tune up. They cleared the code, and then the next day, the check engine light came on. I called Pepboys and made an appointment to have a tuneup done. PepBoys said that the Oil Change place overfilled my oil on by one quart. Picked up the car and all was well. Next thing you know, the Check engine light came on again. When they cleared the check engine light after reading the code about cylinder #2, it came up again. I called Pepboys and took my car in for a tuneup where the check engine light cleared and so I thought it was the end of that. When the light came back on, back to Pep Boys I went. They replaced the wire and said that eventually the engine would go, but stated that the compression wasn't equal on cylinder #3. They suggested I have the oil place put a heavier oil next time. A friend of my sister looked at my car and said that the head gasket needed to be replaced because it was leaking oil. I have 110k on my 2003 Elantra GLS. I would love to keep it as long as I can without sinking a whole **** of a lot into it. It's been a good car since I've had it, but if it's time for a new car, so be it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (guiseppe473 @ Feb 25 2011, 03:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=406977
How do you get the fuel injector o-rings off? Having same "air leak" problem as mentioned earlier.

You dont have injector seal problems.. you have a cracked intake gasket.. take the straw on a can of carb and aim the sray at the seam where the manifold meets head whole the engiine is idling.....

Trickle the spray at the seam... DONT blast/flood the area with carb spray,,, light spritz so you see liquid bead up and make sucking sound as it is drawn in at point of leak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts