Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my 2020 Sonata Limited in December. Hopped in following a snow storm and the fan wouldn’t turn on to blow heat (or air). The dealer kept the car a week and ordered/replaced the blower (didn’t work) but it ended up being the control module for the fan that regulates the fan speed. I need to take it back because the blower whines terribly now at high speeds but I haven’t had the patience to take it back in.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I had the same thing happen to my 2020 Sonata Limited in December. Hopped in following a snow storm and the fan wouldn’t turn on to blow heat (or air). The dealer kept the car a week and ordered/replaced the blower (didn’t work) but it ended up being the control module for the fan that regulates the fan speed. I need to take it back because the blower whines terribly now at high speeds but I haven’t had the patience to take it back in.
You are the man :)...
Tomorrow I will drop this info to my dealership.
Let me ask you... did you post your problem here on forum...
If I remember correctly it was November that I saw a thread about failed FAN. I just signed to the forum to ask questions about Sonata.
I think the thread name was something like "I will never buy Hyundai again" :). This gentelmen was cought during weekend in snowstorm and his story was really BAD against mine 15km from home.

So, were it you or we have 3 cases related to fan PITA by now?
Thx.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That’s me! Haha, I was not pleased. They couldn’t pinpoint why the module died but said it was a newer approach for Hyundai where it is more variable versus the older high, medium, low blower settings. It took the dealer a couple days for parts, delivery, and trial and error to find the cause of the issue. I ended up paying out of pocket for the rental and Hyundai corporate did a really smooth job of reimbursing me. A week and a half after I got the car back the check engine light came on unrelated to the fan but went off after three days. I am due for an oil change next week and I am going to have them look into the fan squeeling on high. I’ll be honest, I don’t have total confidence in this car lasting like I have had in other cars but I’ve taken some small road trips since and it’s been functioning.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That’s me! Haha, I was not pleased. They couldn’t pinpoint why the module died but said it was a newer approach for Hyundai where it is more variable versus the older high, medium, low blower settings. It took the dealer a couple days for parts, delivery, and trial and error to find the cause of the issue. I ended up paying out of pocket for the rental and Hyundai corporate did a really smooth job of reimbursing me. A week and a half after I got the car back the check engine light came on unrelated to the fan but went off after three days. I am due for an oil change next week and I am going to have them look into the fan squeeling on high. I’ll be honest, I don’t have total confidence in this car lasting like I have had in other cars but I’ve taken some small road trips since and it’s been functioning.
Hang in there, hopefully it gets sorted out, have faith in Hyundai.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I transfered cooperthekid's problem description to my dealership.
Got the answer - that it's exactly what they suspected and that H* network is partially up and they will discuss with upper office for fastest possible fix.

@21NLineSonata
I see you are very enthusiastic about all what relates to Sonata (even you are N guy now).
What do you think about asking forum admins to make a sticky thread for new Sonata issues...
I guess we saw enough issues already for the list that for sure is just started.

I am talking about common problems not specific for N.

At least people will see what are the solutions for a new commer that they generally love.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I transfered cooperthekid's problem description to my dealership.
Got the answer - that it's exactly what they suspected and that H* network is partially up and they will disucss with upper office for fastest possible fix.

@21NLineSonata
I see you are very enthusiastic about all what relates to Sonata (even you are N guy now).
What do you think about asking forum admins to make a sticky thread for new Sonata issues...
I guess we saw enough issues already for the list that for sure is just started.

I am talking about common problems not specific for N.

At least people will see what are the solutions for a new commer that they generally love.
That’s a good idea. Let’s hope the list will be short. I’m trying to stay positive for you guys that have had issues very early on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
update:
this morning went to garage to check my beutiful Sonata that left me frustrated yesterday. Tried the fan. What do you think? Of course it worked.
Took it out to try. Promissed snow storm calmed after the nigh and snow "collectors" continued good job. Decided not to go to the Dealership even everything was arranged.
Kind of no proof. But I had photos and vid with engine on, defroster on fan on full and no sound.
After few minutes drive the heck stopped... Ahha... I directed to garage. On half way it started stopped few times. Of course when entered the service it worked :).
But Service manager was advised by general manager about my visit. I told that I have a video proof. He refused it and told that they have to check it and SUV loaner is waiting for me.
We had a nice conversation then he went to check it again. Car is on the FAN is down.
This is all the news for now. They should call me...
One mo thing ... I mentioned that when came to garage yesterday with fog in the car a burning plastic smell near the hood was barely noticeable. Not in the cabin at all.

I know that FAN problem on recently purchased Sonata was brought here in November with a situation much worst than mine. If the OP is somewhere around here please provide a link to your thread I want to see full story again and bring it to my dealership. I can probably find it somehow (think it was in November)
If you can, where was this car manuf? I love it when someone has a problem and a certain person, jumps all over you for daring to "have a problem". If they had read your post, the fan came and went, I'm an idiot but I don't think that checking the fuse would solve this issue. Obviously, there is a problem and hopefully for you, it will be fixed quickly and you never have another issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
If you can, where was this car manuf? I love it when someone has a problem and a certain person, jumps all over you for daring to "have a problem". If they had read your post, the fan came and went, I'm an idiot but I don't think that checking the fuse would solve this issue. Obviously, there is a problem and hopefully for you, it will be fixed quickly and you never have another issue.
I would like to know too where the car was manufactured (just for general interest). But the car is in the service. I had it overnight in my garage, then returned for fan fixing.
As for fuse :)
I mentioned that intermitent behaviour started actually on my way back to the service. When exited from dealership after few minutes drive it became dead. Was -20 outside highway, snowing. Even if! I had a fuse don't think that it was possibe. I was 15 km from home. Just drove in full frustration with a feeling that I am in the crappy old car :).
Even after this "stress" I would not touch fuses on the new car. I just instantly contacted salesman and in 10 min got e-mail from general manager.
So don't blaming the advice for finding the fuse and then pointing out that I am a "lazy ass" because incapable even to check the fuse. Last time I changed fuses in the car was at least 30 years ago :).
Because simply didn't have this kind of thing. Shame on me ??? :)

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
dont feel bad about checking fuses. the new fuse is really tiny, and no way is it coming out unless you have a special tool. the fusebox in the engine bay has a nice tweezer type puller that works, but even with that tool, the cabin fuses are not easy to get at. those who suggest checking fuses should first see how difficult they are to get at

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hooray!
My $2021 is ready after being in service for a fan issue since Feb 16 (got it on Feb15).

Yesterday, received a phone call with an update: "we still testing and about ready to order the right part".

An hour ago today, recieved a call that my car is ready. The problem found.
I asked what was the problem.
Guess what... Somebody mentioned word "fuse" here at the begining of the thread.

What they told me - it was a wire connection to a fuse box that was loose.
End of the story...
We all understand what it means. Other circuits could be affected.
Don't want to speculate on that fact.

Definitely each one can bring their views on the issue... Personally, I did not have this type of problem in any car I had.
I believe that the fuse box must be a rock solid unit ( like the other components :) ).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hooray!
My $2021 is ready after being in service for a fan issue since Feb 16 (got it on Feb15).

Yesterday, received a phone call with an update: "we still testing and about ready to order the right part".

An hour ago today, recieved a call that my car is ready. The problem found.
I asked what was the problem.
Guess what... Somebody mentioned word "fuse" here at the begining of the thread.

What they told me - it was a wire connection to a fuse box that was loose.
End of the story...
We all understand what it means. Other circuits could be affected.
Don't want to speculate on that fact.

Definitely each one can bring their views on the issue... Personally, I did not have this type of problem in any car I had.
I believe that the fuse box must be a rock solid unit ( like the other components :) ).
Good news, not get your car and enjoy it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Finally got it...
The service manager wasn't in today, so the general manager brought me the info.
He told that they still don't have un update from H* and he asked today to check wiring. Yesterday Advisor updated that they play with fun itself and module. Even replaced it from another car.
After today's wires inspection the tech have found the wire that was really loose. When he touched it the wire simply felt.

So I am starting a new page of my possesion. Drove the car during sunny day and loved it.
Not make sense to compare it with BMW (apples should be compared to apples). But it is very comfortable and responsive car.

Don't count anymore my bad experience in fogged up car during cold snowy night
and wish that what happened will be my first and last problem.

What I have to tell that I like much the look of the car. Don't care about web distributed Cat Fish name for Sonata.
For me it is a modern concept and all others in the class (Camry, Accord and other crappy boxes) are pretty generic comparing to this beautiful Sonata.

And I guess that our (Canadian) Sport trim is the same as US SEL +. Mine is on 19'' wheels, sport sits. sport bumpers and pedals. and may be something else.
Love the roof too.
In one word happy driver :)

·
Premium Member
2021 Limited 1.6T, 2018 Limited 2.4L, 2015 Limited 2.4L
415 Posts
Good to hear things are back to normal. That's the first time I've heard that a wire connection to the fuse box is the cause. At any rate, glad to hear that you've got your ride back.

Reactions: pob579

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If you can, where was this car manuf?
the car is in my garage. So here is the answer:

Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama Jul/31/20

21 - 34 of 34 Posts