Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone go with the factory setup for towing? I see that it's about $450 installed plus tax. I don't mind doing my own but after paying for it and getting the wiring kit then taking a half-day to install...I would rather spend the $200 to have someone else do it when it's in for my oil change. I like that the Hyundai hitch has the plug attached which I don't see on the aftermarket types. My Nissan Titan hitch (from Nissan) was the same way, plug attached, and that is really good in my opinion, I don't want to be drilling or connecting things where they are not designed to go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought the Curt online and had an independent shop install it, no problems at all and it was way cheaper than going to the dealer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I went with the factory option but honestly I wish I went with a 3rd party option. The factory hitch is the smaller size so I have less options for a bike rack. The dealer did the wiring but I'll probably never use it for towing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Like above, super easy, especially with a second set of hands for holding it in place momentarily. I have the Curt model on my LWB and it's just fine. Also added a plug holder that holds nicely in place next to the hitch receiver. All much cheaper than dealership or other shops if you're so inclined, and extra monies for other mods :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Like above, super easy, especially with a second set of hands for holding it in place momentarily. I have the Curt model on my LWB and it's just fine. Also added a plug holder that holds nicely in place next to the hitch receiver. All much cheaper than dealership or other shops if you're so inclined, and extra monies for other mods :)
I used a floor jack to hold the hitch in place while I bolted it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
The factory set up is from Drawtite. You can get the Drawtite hitch from others much cheaper, and etrailer, among other internet retailers, also offer a right angle bracket for the wiring that bolts to the Drawtite hitch.

I went with the factory set up and learned this after the install--I would have gone with Drawtite had I known. Install isn't that hard, about 2 hours of effort, as others have already stated.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The factory set up is from Drawtite. You can get the Drawtite hitch from others much cheaper, and etrailer, among other internet retailers, also offer a right angle bracket for the wiring that bolts to the Drawtite hitch.

I went with the factory set up and learned this after the install--I would have gone with Drawtite had I known. Install isn't that hard, about 2 hours of effort, as others have already stated.

Hitch: $140.00
Wiring: $45.39
Bracket: $10.00

About $200 in parts and 2 hours labor.

Saves $250

Hmmm...

In all honesty, if I could drop it off for an oil change and pick it up with a receiver I would gladly pay the extra $250. I can do it, I just don't want to kill a Saturday by having to do this. I am usually up early and out of the house by 9AM so this is just a matter of convenience to me. Unless there is something inherently wrong with the factory setup I think this is the way for me to go.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hitch: $140.00
Wiring: $45.39
Bracket: $10.00

About $200 in parts and 2 hours labor.

Saves $250

Hmmm...

In all honesty, if I could drop it off for an oil change and pick it up with a receiver I would gladly pay the extra $250. I can do it, I just don't want to kill a Saturday by having to do this. I am usually up early and out of the house by 9AM so this is just a matter of convenience to me. Unless there is something inherently wrong with the factory setup I think this is the way for me to go.
What about buying all the parts and getting a shop to install it?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about buying all the parts and getting a shop to install it?

Funny you should mention, I just called a shop that has a 5* rating on Google reviews and is really close to my job that is going to install the Draw-Tite hitch with the Tekonsha harness and a bracket for $350 so I scheduled an appointment. At least I am saving $100 and I can still be a lazy ass. They can get it done while I am eating lunch so that is a big bonus.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't believe that you will be disappointed. Please provide pics when the install is complete!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't believe that you will be disappointed. Please provide pics when the install is complete!

Will do.

BTW, the place is called Master Hitch in Spring and they have another location in Houston. Google and Yelp reviews were all 5 star, I will provide feedback on them on Friday.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I bought the Curt SFS specific Class III hitch and wiring off eBay. Paid around $250 for both, and had U-Haul install it for $75. Works great, no issues (2018 SFS Ultimate 2.0).

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just repainted my curt hitch. Two seasons of salt water really did it in, had quite a bit of rust on it. Now it looks good as new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went with the factory hitch. I felt that it looked nicer than the others. It was more expensive, but it's the one I wanted.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts