Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have the factory remote start option built into their remote?

I remember watching a YouTube video a while back where I saw the original remote with an extra button on the very bottom and it was used for starting the car remotly.

I didn't believe it a first, then I priced the car at TrueCar, and it gave the remote start as an option. For some reason it's not listed on the official Hyundai website though

does anybody know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yep available from the dealer. The remote start comes with a 2 new key fobs with the extra button for remote starting. Expect to pay a premium though, about $700 - $900 US installed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing is, I don't want to use a different fob for the remote start, I saw the extra button on the original fob, is that possible?

Plus last time I was at the dealer, they had no clue what I was talking about

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
same here.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would definitely be interested in finding out if this is true or not. I would have the dealership install a factory remote start in a heartbeat. I am not impressed by any of the aftermarket systems when used with this type of keyless system.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think the last time this came up, it was discussed that this is already an option for Canadian Sonatas. There definitely is a factory remote start somewhere out there, just not in the US. I would imagine it would eventually make it here, but not yet. Stupid, if you ask me because Id like a factory remote start as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was at the dealer last night and I asked about it. I was told by the service manager it was not available and it wasn't even in development. He had just checked on it the day before for another customer. Hopefully we will see it eventually.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
These are factory FOBs. They look just like the stock Sonata Fobs but with the extra button for remote starting. They can't phsically put a button on your stock fob so Hyundai replaces them with new FOBs. The unit is made by Directed Electronics who makes Viper and all them, but it's their entry level unit so about 500 - 1000 feet range, they weren't exactly sure on he range. It's a one way unit that is fuly plug and play. No spicing of wires, just plugs in. Dealer said install time in the book is listed at around 2 hours. So about $200 in labour charges the unit out the door was like $500 Canadian.

I think someone on the boards who is in the US got one installed a while back so they are avaiable in the US too maybe just he northern states who get a lot of snow.

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (captainjd02 @ Nov 5 2010, 09:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369180
I was at the dealer last night and I asked about it. I was told by the service manager it was not available and it wasn't even in development. He had just checked on it the day before for another customer. Hopefully we will see it eventually.
Typical dealer ''intelligence''. If you don't know the answer is NO. God forbid a dealer doing some research! God I hate dealers so much!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Souks @ Nov 5 2010, 11:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369213
These are factory FOBs. They look just like the stock Sonata Fobs but with the extra button for remote starting. They can't phsically put a button on your stock fob so Hyundai replaces them with new FOBs. The unit is made by Directed Electronics who makes Viper and all them, but it's their entry level unit so about 500 - 1000 feet range, they weren't exactly sure on he range. It's a one way unit that is fuly plug and play. No spicing of wires, just plugs in. Dealer said install time in the book is listed at around 2 hours. So about $200 in labour charges the unit out the door was like $500 Canadian.

I think someone on the boards who is in the US got one installed a while back so they are avaiable in the US too maybe just he northern states who get a lot of snow.
Do you know if this type of remote start would interfere with any of the cars other features, like opening the door without using the unlock on the remote, etc....

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (AcuraKidd @ Nov 5 2010, 11:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369220
Do you know if this type of remote start would interfere with any of the cars other features, like opening the door without using the unlock on the remote, etc....
Hyundai factory designed remote starts will not interfere with any of the car's other functions. If you try to go with an aftermarket remote start, you may run into other problems.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Were you looking at a sonata with push button start? The setuo I described were for the cars with push button. For push button the dealer didnt have any so wasnt sure how that works. He believes you will get a second fob with just the remote start button so you have to carry two fobs. Reason is the smart keys are expensive and he doesnt think hyundai will give you new smart keys. Even hyundais parts support guys didnt know. They may know now as its been out for a while. When I asked it was like 4 months ago.

My service manager was able to log into hyundais internal site and it lists all accessoriea available and what is coming. Its like two pages long, so dealers claiming nothing eithrr dont know this site exists or are too lazy to check. For example a oem rear spoiler is in development. Its listed but showing availability as to been determined.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ Nov 5 2010, 02:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369261
He believes you will get a second fob with just the remote start button so you have to carry two fobs. Reason is the smart keys are expensive and he doesnt think hyundai will give you new smart keys.
This would be stupid. What car owner wants to carry TWO fobs for one car? At least have a trade in policy or something. I

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you think it would be possible to purchase these parts from a Canadian dealership since nobody in the US confirmed that they have it so far?

Also, once parts are purchased, do you think a US dealer will install and program everything?

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Nov 5 2010, 01:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369262
This would be stupid. What car owner wants to carry TWO fobs for one car? At least have a trade in policy or something. I

When I owned my Fusion, the starter was a dealer installed "factory" item and had a separate smaller fob with just the start button seperate from the OEM keys which came with the car. It really was no big deal. I would only advise people to spend more and get the "factory authorized" remote starter. Currently, I do not have a remote starter in my SE or do I plan to purchase one.

My sister who bought a Subaru the around the same time as me purchased a "aftermarket" remote starter and she activates it by pushing the "door lock" button twice. Do you need me to say how many times she has started the car after parking it and locking the doors? The final straw was when inside a supermarket came the announcement... She went to complain about this and they told her that's the only way to install it properly with that brand of starter.

just my opinion....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Also you only need the second fob in the winter time when you need to remote start. During the summer you can just keep the remote starter fob at home. This only affects cars with push button start as you need the remote start fob to lock and unlock doors when the car is running. For non proximity people you can leave the Hyundai fob at home and just use the remote starter fob (if you have keyless entry hooked up to it that is.) I'm carrying around 2 fobs and it hasn't been a hassel. The stock Hyundai key stays in your jacket pocket anyways so in reality it will be like you only have one fob like people who don't have proximity sensor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts