Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, the below is as detailed as possible but please ask any questions if I missed something:

I've ordered a factory remote start for my 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 3.5L V6 from HyundaiAccess.com. The part number of the kit is 2B056 ADU01, which should fit years 2010-2012 according to the Hyundai Genuine Accessories instruction packet included with the kit.

I followed the detailed directions and on the first remote start test (lock doors with new remote, press start button), the engine started as it should but shut down within ~5 seconds of starting. It then restarted, ran for ~5 seconds and shut down; this cycle repeated until I unlocked the doors and hit the brake pedal. I rechecked all the connections without finding any problems. I believe the system is not detecting the tachometer input, so I replaced the crimp-on style tap connector with a soldered connection; this did not help.

I searched the internet and various forums for clues, and read that there is a "tachometer programming mode" that is activated by pressing the disarm/programming button connected to the remote start module, continuing to hold the button while starting the engine using the key, and holding it until the system acknowledges the new programming with the parking lights flashing. In my case it honked the horn three times after ~30 seconds of engine runtime, so I assumed the programming had worked. This did not change the remote start behavior, it would still start but not continue to run past 5 seconds.

Then I found this thread on the Hyundai forum:

(google "118365 hyundai forums" because I can't post the link)

It made me think that the tach signal I was using was not sufficient so I ran a wire from the injector to the remote starter input as suggested, and reprogrammed the remote start module with the new tachometer input. With that connection made, attempting the remote start turns the instrument cluster on as if it were about to start, but does not crank the motor. Returning the tachometer input to the default tap point makes the starter work as before, with the 5 second runtime.

One problem with all of this is that I don't know if I'm programming the remote start properly- the thread above mentions an option called "multi speed tach" that might be what I need, but i'm not sure how to enable that. The included directions don't mention how to program the module at all, and the troubleshooting section does not cover my problem.

I am going to try to contact the manufacturer of the system, Code Systems Inc, to see if they can help, but maybe there is a forum member that knows how to program the factory remote start manual?

As you might have guessed, this has taken me a LOT longer than I thought, but I am very determined to get it working because it is a birthday gift for my wife who is an Arizona native that does not enjoy the snow and single digit weather we've had this winter.

If anyone here can help me I would be very grateful to say the least!

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
65 Posts
It seems you have done everything properly, but does vehicle ECU aware of the modification? does your car ECU support adding of remote starter module? Mine, I spent time to add cruise control function. I bought remote buttons, new clock spring, wiring to ECU and properly wired up to the ECU. but It didn't worked as required new function was not enabled in ECU software hence ECU was not aware of my new module. Later I discovered that the ECU reprogrammed is necessary to run it properly. So it's better to check compatibility of ECU

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi maduabey, thanks for the reply. As far as I know, there is no ECU reprogramming required- if it was, I think it would be listed in the directions that came with the unit. That's interesting that you needed to for your cruise control, but in all the threads I've read I've never seen an ECU reprogramming required for the remote start.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes you have a point, if ECU to be reprogrammed they must mentioned, but you have tapped new remote starter module to BCM and it related to ECU. If ECU is getting altered or bypass signal from BCM, would there be a logic mismatch? Engine start should satisfy many prerequisites. Check flowchart diagram of a Start. I have START logic flowchart of diesel model but its totally unrelated to you. Anyway, good effort by you share your success:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi maduabey, I finally got the starter working- I had another bad crimp which I replaced with solder and that got it going. If anyone is doing a self install I'd recommend throwing out the crimp contacts- if they work at all I doubt they'd be reliable long-term, but it is a real pain soldering the taps because they are way up under the dash.

Another thing about the OEM kit, when I contacted the manufacturer asking for troubleshooting help, they responded with this "helpful" reply:

Response Billy Brown via Email 02/18/2014 08:45 PM
Peter, the Hyundai dealer is violating their Corporate policy by selling the specified kit over the counter to you. As per the guidelines set fourth by Corporate Hyundai, the kit is to be installed by the dealer ONLY and is not to be sold over the counter for installation by un-trained end users/customers. Furthermore, technical support is not to be provided to ANY unauthorized installers and the product will not have a warranty if installed by anyone other than a Hyundai dealership..

You will need to contact the dealer that sold this kit to you and arrange to have it installed by a Hyundai dealership.

Not a good response, I think that if I was to start over I wouldn't go OEM for a DIY install.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I have a 2011 v6 AWD SantaFe and very interested in installing the same kit. Various site have it for $100-$150 but no details to if it includes the installation instructions. Did yours come with instructions as part of the standard guide or did you get them from somewhere? Do you have a copy you could share? (many thanks).

The last remote start I did I soldered the (15+) connection to be sure. I'm glad this kit only has 4 that need soldering.

Many thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts