Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '12 GLS doesn't have fogs. I've been kicking around the idea of adding them. I don't want HIDs or LEDs. Do the factory fogs make a noticeable difference in brightness? Or are they more of a cosmetic thing?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don't see a huge difference in brightness, but I haven't really used them in fog or snow yet. For just night time driving, the only thing I notice is the fogs light up more of the sides and of course right in front of the car on the ground. So I would say they are mostly cosmetic. I wish the fogs were wired so you could have only the fogs and parking lights on for some dark winter driving with snow. On back country roads I would like to shut of low beams and see better with just the fogs.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for this info. The Shark Racing harness says that it will allow the fogs without the driving lights, which you described. Not sure if I want to spend $200 on them.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
If the Sonata is anything like my Elantra and Santa Fe, it's a 27.5 watt bulb as standard. I upgraded both of mine to 37 watts with no ill effects although I only use my fogs when it's actually foggy or in severe weather where more direct lower-level light is required like blowing snow.

I'd be wary of going past 37 watts for fear of melting the housings. I know early versions of the first generation Santa Fe came with a massive 55 watt bulb and though the wiring could handle the power, the plastic couldn't handle the heat.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Factory fogs are generally perceived as bright especially with Hids from the incoming traffic point of view because of glare due to reflector fogs and probably less noticeable from the driver behind the wheel point of view.
If you still want to install fogs, i think the smoked version on ebay would look cool... http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=281117050666

Get also just the multi-switch and Hid with wire harness also from ebay.

And here's the guide... http://www.hyundai-forums.com/222-y...h-mod-projector-retrofit-fogs-drl-strips.html

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
91 Posts
In hindsight, I wish i would have saved the money and bought a base GLS without the POP PKG.

The factory blank for the fogs would be a great start for THESE, Which i already have because i was going to mount them on my motorcycle. Still might... ;)

·
Registered
726 Posts
I wasn't at all impressed with the factory fogs.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My '12 GLS doesn't have fogs. I've been kicking around the idea of adding them. I don't want HIDs or LEDs. Do the factory fogs make a noticeable difference in brightness? Or are they more of a cosmetic thing?
The standard fog lights are the same brightness as the high beam and low beam headlights. The YF uses the same bulb for High and low beams (H7) -- just lens and AIM is different. As for the fogs, they use an H8-- it's plenty bright, but it is aimed low to light up the road a bit more without lighting up the fog or snow in front of you. It really is not a matter of brightness . . .but the placement of the light.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like my fogs from the factory. I use them along with my headlights because on the roads near my house, it is forest on both sides, and the fogs light-up the front sides of the road better than just HLs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replaced my factory H8 fog light bulbs with CREE Emitter 5w High Power LED bulbs. I do not need fog lights in Arizona but I wanted them to match the whiteness of the HID low beams I installed. I live in a rural mountainous area and will primarily use them to flood the side of the road where there are numerous mule deer.

I just installed them today so I will have to wait to see their effectiveness.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm another that likes the factory fog lights. I have them on all the time and not for anyone else but me. I don't care how they look to others on the road but I do like the fill that I get in front and on the sides of the road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Based on your question, I looked up the lumens output on some of the other LED fog bulbs. The CREE XP R5 LED with plano-convex distribution lens puts out 260 lumens. I got this info from the 7w version that also has nine radial firing LEDs for a total output of 548 lumens. The install was plug-n-play. As stated by Txboy11SE, the LED fog light bulbs have no lighting effectiveness. However, they do have the bright-white esthetic value.

This fact is somewhat annoying since the advertisements for this CREE “Hi Power” bulbs state they can be used as fog lamps. Unfortunately, it is one of the few things that I did not do research on before buying. They may function okay as DRL but not as fogs. Since the Sonata uses the high beams as DRL, this option is out for me as I do not want to do any new wiring. Lesson learned.

For me, the HID low beams cast enough side light that fogs will not be necessary. I do not want to use HID as fogs.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
HiDuke, thanks. I have been looking and I think the only currently available LED H8 replacement with adequate output would be the 1600 lm. These have 4 X 5w Cree XP-E emitters. I want to use my fogs as my DRLs and not the High Beams. I don't often use my fogs anyway.

The output of a Sylvania H8-35W low beam/DRL bulbs is only 804 lm-- I'm guessing these 1600 lm LEDs will work fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts