Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope it's not out of line to start a new thread that's sort of a spinoff of one I started three weeks ago. I could use some advice/feedback on how to deal with Hyundai on this matter. As I've said in other places, I am a new Hyundai owner. This is related to the paint bleed (sag) across two doors issue I identified on my car. As I understand this, it is not something that happens at the factory, that it was likely poorly repaired damage that occurred at or near the dealership.

As of tomorrow (3/26/20), my car has been in the dealer-owned body shop for 3 weeks. After two weeks, they brought it to the dealership for me to pick up. There were flaws in the work so they sent it back to the body shop. So, keeping score, that's three paint repair jobs across two doors so far. I decided to contact the manager of the dealership last Tuesday. I emailed him and asked for a meeting. He asked what the problem was... I just decided to lay it all out in email (2-month-old car, paint bleed, repair jobs). It's now Thursday and I haven't heard anything back. I'll reach out to him again tomorrow.

I seriously doubt they are going to step up and replace the car at this point. I just knew I had to at least try. So, having never hired a lawyer in my life, I started looking around asking friends. They are expensive. Other option, Hyundai. My argument would be the value of the car has been diminished by the dealer's actions, I guess.

This not being a potential recall matter, like the door drain issue, do I just start by emailing customer service through MyHyundai? Get the inevitable "here's your case number" and "you have to call us." Then call. Complain. Complain. Complain. Is there another route?

Any tips?

(maybe I sound naive, I honestly have never experienced ANY of this)

·
Registered
502 Posts
You need to work directly with whom you purchased the car from, the dealership. You purchased a Hyundai but you didn't purchase it from Hyundai you purchased it from whatever dealership which is a separate independent business. If a reasonable settlement cannot be reached you can file a complaint against the dealership with Hyundai. From your side it shouldn't matter where or how the damage was initially done. You need the paint fixed without blemishes. I think you have more tools to use to encourage the dealership to resolve the issue than you would ever have with Hyundai USA. If the dealership is evasive you can go to the Better Business Bureau, the local Chamber of Commerce and there is always Social Media. It might be time for you to contact someone high up in the dealership, Owner/General Manager directly by phone especially since you made initial contact via email. And as always IMHO

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata SEL
37 Posts
You’ll be surprised the power of written words, even in today’s virtual world.
Start with Letters and emails (copies of the letter) to the dealership manager, dealership owner.
If they don’t respond in a week, follow up with that a lack of response within another week and you will write to BBB + Local Chamber of Commerce (as suggested by @FloridaGator).
Definitely write to both of those associations.

You will get a response. For sure.
You’re not being naive at all. This is your hard earned money. You will have to act a bit selfish and maybe a bit of an a$$. However, you will get what’s correct and due to you.

Dealers aren’t all bad, however their incentives are different and an after sales case like yours is just noise. Not revenue generation.
You can do this!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're not going to lemon law a car over a cosmetic issue.
That's weird. I don't see lemon law in my post but I remember mentioning it when I was typing the post then deleting it before I posted... Because I basically agree with what you are saying. Why would it apply here?

The reason I did almost mention it was because two law offices suggested it. I didn't bring it up. Like you, i don't think it applies but I will check it this weekend myself. Maybe Arizona has some weird provision.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I hope it's not out of line to start a new thread that's sort of a spinoff of one I started three weeks ago. I could use some advice/feedback on how to deal with Hyundai on this matter. As I've said in other places, I am a new Hyundai owner. This is related to the paint bleed (sag) across two doors issue I identified on my car. As I understand this, it is not something that happens at the factory, that it was likely poorly repaired damage that occurred at or near the dealership.

As of tomorrow (3/26/20), my car has been in the dealer-owned body shop for 3 weeks. After two weeks, they brought it to the dealership for me to pick up. There were flaws in the work so they sent it back to the body shop. So, keeping score, that's three paint repair jobs across two doors so far. I decided to contact the manager of the dealership last Tuesday. I emailed him and asked for a meeting. He asked what the problem was... I just decided to lay it all out in email (2-month-old car, paint bleed, repair jobs). It's now Thursday and I haven't heard anything back. I'll reach out to him again tomorrow.

I seriously doubt they are going to step up and replace the car at this point. I just knew I had to at least try. So, having never hired a lawyer in my life, I started looking around asking friends. They are expensive. Other option, Hyundai. My argument would be the value of the car has been diminished by the dealer's actions, I guess.

This not being a potential recall matter, like the door drain issue, do I just start by emailing customer service through MyHyundai? Get the inevitable "here's your case number" and "you have to call us." Then call. Complain. Complain. Complain. Is there another route?

Any tips?

(maybe I sound naive, I honestly have never experienced ANY of this)
Did the dealer disclose the car had been damaged and had paint work on it before you purchased it? If not that may be your way out because in Tennessee, at least, they have to disclose that.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the dealer disclose the car had been damaged and had paint work on it before you purchased it? If not that may be your way out because in Tennessee, at least, they have to disclose that.
No. I haven't been told that this would be an option by the legal offices even though it sounds like common sense. I wouldn't be surprised if hyper-pro business and/or the power of this massive dealership company in Arizona created loopholes for this.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
If they body shop the dealership is using can't paint without blemishes in the paint, tell them you want another body shop or painter to do the work.

You are not going to get demished value. I had a similiar issue back in 2003 on a Mazda. Day after purchase I discovered rail dust. The more the body shop "fixed" it, the worse it got. They finally called in another painter and it was fixed good as new.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited / 2020 Santa Fe Limited / 64 VW Bug
24 Posts
Sorry to hear this Paul, hang in there and keep fighting. Let us know the final outcome.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think every state has a law where the dealer has to disclose damage if it exceeds a certain percentage of MSRP such as 3 - 6% but some states also require the dealer to disclose any damage if asked about it. So it's always a good idea to ask since the dealer can fix a lot of damage at their cost for around 5% of MSRP - that's $1,500 on a $30,000 car.

In AZ where the OP is located, their law states 3% is the threshold for requiring disclosure but specifically says that nothing has to be disclosed about replacement of glass, tires or bumpers as long as the items are replaced with "original or comparable" equipment.

Damage to new cars during transport and delivery is a lot more common than people realize.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In AZ where the OP is located, their law states 3% is the threshold for requiring disclosure but specifically says that nothing has to be disclosed about replacement of glass, tires or bumpers as long as the items are replaced with "original or comparable" equipment.
Thank you for this. I really appreciate it. Can you give me the link to where you found this, I assume there is more info.

As I started to read your post, I remember one of the lawyers saying something about a percentage of the value of the car and that sounds about right. What I don't understand is how you would use that if the damage isn't extreme. Who determines the cost of the repair? My dealer's body shop already did it. I still don't have any invoices. I can't tell if they are holding back or their excuse of wanting to wait until it's all done is valid.

---- UPDATE

Last Monday... I picked up the car. I literally got on the ground and inspected underneath it, around the wheel wells. Everything. I found problems: damage/scratches and a little overspray. One thing was obvious, I couldn't believe it. So, now they are ordering parts to fix the things I found. Parts will take forever given the COVID-19 situation. This is never-ending. I know you guys think I should fight it and I was hot to do so. Now, I know this is personal but I'm sure you can relate, my workload has at least tripled since my university sent us all home and I'm burning out fast. That car is becoming less and less appealing. I'm thinking are these parts going to come off more easily now?

I still don't have ANY paperwork on this. That's my current goal - get documentation. They said they will have it when the job is done but they must have the body shop paperwork. What did they do to my car??? I haven't given up.

FWIW - The paint job looks perfect as of now. Third time's the charm?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts