Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this must be the 3rd time i've done this job for a failing clutch bearing. granted, i do this early so avoid failure on the road...i travel 100km each way to work so i really don't want to risk that.

but really hyundai...you couldn't make a bearing that doesn't eat the pressure plate after 60k kms?? thanks for making work for me. asshats.

pics aren't the best, but you can see the wear starting:

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Maybe go to an SKF bearing, or find a Japanese manufactured bearing, they tend to be good. I have seen the Honda pilot bearing last for well over 200k miles.

Its still better than doing the Accent auto tranny overdrive rebuild

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true that....i don't envy that job at all. i don't think there are any skf bearings for the accent, seems like an oem part only or close to. oh well, crap ass valeo it is. took me about 5 hours work but clutch is installed and now its just put it all back together. i admit, i don't work the fastest but still not terrible.

the good news is the gear oil was clean when i drained it so hopefully that means no bearings waiting to grenade...i hope.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and the s*itshow continues...

went to put the starter back on and one of the threaded mount holes was stripped. ASS!

you can imagine the cursing at this point. the tap wouldn't save it. **** aluminum. ended up getting a 'new' re-manufactured. thought of going the helicoil route at the local machine shop, but i has no car right now...and time to get it there, get it done and get back didn't seem worth it - local napa store delivered faster than pizza right to my door :)

on the bright side i won't have to worry about blowing a starter or solenoid before i scrap this thing.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Frankly, I'm looking at your photo of the bearing wear on the pressure plate springs, and it looks quite normal to me. Usually I see them with lots more wear like on my ancient Vovlos from days gone by, but I got a "pull" type clutch on my Elantra, as opposed to your "push" type, so I don't see springs marks anymore. Wish I had push type, it's more durable methinks. In any event, you can get different shaped bearings that will wear your springs differently. Or why don't you get something heavy like a racing clutch kit?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to answer your questions:

- you can hear the bearing chirping with the clutch disengaged. as soon as you hit the clutch the noise disappears.

- for the pic, look at the center where the fingers meet. its kind of hard to see, but the bearing is wearing a good groove there. i'm not so concerned about that as i am the bearing is eating itself slowly.

- there are no other bearings that will fit this car that i am aware of.

- why in god's name would i put a racing clutch in a 9 year old car with 245k kms on it?? furthermore, its the bearing that is the issue not the clutch! what exactly is that going to solve here??

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I think he is making the reasonable asumption the racing clutch will come with heavy duty pressure plate and super duty release bearing.

Just a release bearing sold loose is becoming more rare; Rockauto etc want to sell you whole kit. Such a pain pulling tranny etc people tend to change everything in bell housing to ensure they never have to go back in there.

I changed clutch and tranny(bad transaxle) on a 2001 elantra a few years ago; kind of a PIA like the Accent.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it might come with a different release bearing, but there is no guarantee of that. the job of a performance clutch is to hold more torque and power without slipping. the bearing has no part in that what so ever.

furthermore, why spend double the price on a car i plan to bury in the local scrapyard in 60-80k kms?

i have looked for alternative bearings. if everyone knows of a better one in existence (like they seem to suggest) please tell me. i'd love to know. as far as i know it does not exist. this is a very specialized bearing leaving manufacturer choice down to 1 or 2.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yeah did a little search ; seems like Hyundai is sourcing it from China ??

Even some of the clutch kits can have Valeo parts in them.
The Excedy kit I used for my Élantra did't.

Sometimes using bearing suppliers like Toronto Belting & Bearing or Canadian Bearings can work. My buddy just got a throw out bearing for a 2007 Accord for $60 it was SKF. It was also a funny looking bearing with extra sheet metal housing around it. Several days delivery however, which would't have worked for you.

I like using Fourgreenauto for OEM stuff; sometimes they offer two different grades for way different prices on the same part. For example I recently bought a Santa Fe hood hinge , same part for $13 or $25. Not sure of difference, maybe plating quality, I bought cheaper, worked out fine.
Makes me wonder if you are somehow getting B grade clutch bearings; just a thought.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i have done this job 3 times now. i have had OEM clutch bearings in the car twice now, last one appeared to be a knockoff and the one i just put in looks OEM from what i can remember.

i remember trying to find the bearings elsewhere, but can't remember if i tried canadian bearings. i have worked with them in the past with one of my previous jobs and i think it doubtful that they could help with this. the bearing is simply too specialized and although they can order automotive bearings, its not really what their business is. they're more industrial. but hey maybe that's just the branch i have here in town.

all that being said, i have a theory...is anyone here familiar with the clutch mod of removing the spring from the cylinder? i wonder if that can cause premature wear of the bearing...well that little spring valve is back in. time will tell.

finally, for those who couldn't understand that the pic was terrible quality i present you with one where you can see the damage:

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my new bearing is already squeaking again! GO HYUNDAI!

i really hope they went back to the drawing board with that one...

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i might have figured it out! i take back my insults if this fixes it....

i think my clutch pedal was badly out of adjustment from the previous owner! so for the last 160,000kms its been out....not enough pressure from the fork on the bearing with clutch released (compared to a friends 2005 accent today), so the bearing is able to vibrate and move across the fingers slightly...resulting in the squeaking sounds and grinding.

just tightened up the backstop on the pedal is all. sound gone now, see if it holds.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
It a crude clutch system on the older Hyundai ; but people still seemed to get quite a few miles out of them if they didn't beat on it. Wrestling with the subframe etc not much fun, as you know.

They were using GL4 or 80w90 when most of the Japanese cars were using automatic transmission fluid; the gear/bearing tolerances obvious not in the same league.
But I have put 350k on a Hyundai automatic with only an input and output speed sensor change ; I think their auto's t's are actually much better than average.
Genesis are using Ztrag is some cases; they may know their weaknesses.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think their auto's t's are actually much better than average.
tell that to all the people that blew the auto to **** for that stupid O/D issue and other such nonsense :p

and yeah i hate doing this job. its not too terrible compared to other cars, but that doesn't make it fun. i actually don't touch the subframe when doing a clutch. its simply not necessary in this car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts