Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Easier for me to install wheels on my motorhome, even though the tires are twice the size, I can see what I am doing. Has a large hole in the center of the wheel, can see the hub, center it, rotate the wheel so I can see the studs, shove it back, then install the lugnuts.

With these alloy wheels working in the blind. I jack the car up so that the bottom of the tire is 2" off the ground, use a stool to sit on, set the tire on my toes and use that to lift the tire, 2", eyeball this, but then have to rotate the tire with a guess so the studs match up, once in a great while, hit it right the first time. Start each lugnut with my fingers, than use my portable drill with a socket on it to spin each one tight. Drop the wheel to the ground, then finish it off with my torque wrench., Double check all five just to make sure they are correct.

Go to thinking about that 1967 ISO conference, if they had any brains, would have left the gram a unit of measurement for weight, then just called the mass a Newton. Did everything backwards, seem to lack common sense.

Back in the good days, spare tire was identical to the other wheels, so could use that and only needed one jack. Suppose I could buy another alloy wheel and go back to the way it was. But then, that would add ten pounds of weight to my car and my fuel economy would go to pot.

At least with the Hyundai, do not need a relearn gadget after rotating the tires.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
With these alloy wheels working in the blind. I jack the car up so that the bottom of the tire is 2" off the ground, use a stool to sit on, set the tire on my toes and use that to lift the tire, 2", eyeball this, but then have to rotate the tire with a guess so the studs match up, once in a great while, hit it right the first time. Start each lugnut with my fingers, than use my portable drill with a socket on it to spin each one tight. Drop the wheel to the ground, then finish it off with my torque wrench., Double check all five just to make sure they are correct.
Great minds think alike! That is pretty much the procedure I used. But I have those pesky hub caps that have to be lined up since they were under the lug nuts. It is nice no lights after rotation. Hyundai did a lot of things right in this car.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
88 Supra has a plastic insert in the center of the wheels you can pop out to see what you are doing, but also a bad thing, someone can swipe those and you will never find another, so I glued those in, rather struggle than lose one.

Hyundai was kind to give me those keyed lug nuts, have a long history with these. For one thing can purchased that keyed mating socket anywhere so where is the protection? Another is if that special lug nut is rusted out with those tiny teeth, can strip those teeth out and really have problems. So I put those back in the package and installed the original lug nuts.

One problem I do not know how to deal with is getting old, ha, like to make the comment, I am getting too old to do this, but been saying this for the last 50 years. But if you want it done right, have to do it yourself.

Tired of buying used stuff for nine kids, can break off a stud trying to remove a tire, some are easy to replace, others are not so easy, either that, that center of the rim on that cast iron rotor or drum is rusted on solid so can't even remove the tire with all the lug nuts out.

Everything on my Limited when new was anti-seized, in particular those phillip head screws holding the rotors on. When you do this, don't have problems. Don't go as far as the splines on the half axle or the hub bearing itself, with a ten year PT warranty, will let my dealer worry about that. Kid only had five years, to save him 700 bucks in labor, replaced those, but it was a struggle.

Never ever had problems with tapered wheel bearings, but sure with hubs. Like to say, new problems that were never problems before. Yet another lubricated for life bearing, but how long is that life? Tapered bearings can be cleaned and lubricated. Throwaway is the newest word.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts