Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought a new GLS two weeks ago. Whenever I park it outside during the afternoon for more than 30min with the windows closed or open a crack, when I get in, there's a stinging/burning sensation in my eyes. This doesn't happen if it's parked in a cool underground garage or in the evenings, only if it's hot enough outside that the interior also gets warm (which, right now in California, is all the time). BTW, this has happened to everyone who's been in my car, not just me.

Is this normal for this car/all new cars? What is the cause of this? Will it go away if I drive it some more or do I need to get it checked out? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
WTF?? Check the door panels for cocaine. HURRY!!!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi Kenz :00000732: ,
I'm sorry I never heard of this before. Since you say it's not just you but others as well maybe it's best to tell the dealer what you're experiencing and maybe they can find a solution for you. I hate to see this issue ruin your new car experience.

Glenn

·
Registered
717 Posts
You must have farted before getting out and the methane heated up and caused you to have agent orange in your car.

·
Registered
817 Posts
To the OP -

did you use any sort of cleaning agent on the inside of the car?

How about an interior scent spray at a car wash?

·
Registered
233 Posts
That is definitely not normal, I've never heard of that either. I'd check the car for any potential irritants you might have left inside, such an air freshener, or maybe cleaning wipes, etc. I'd check the trunk to.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I had one other female customer that had bought a new car from us years ago & she just could not handle the new car material off gassing of the leather seats. No one else could smell or feel it but it made her sneeze and there was nothing that we could do to prevent or correct it. Finally the dealer traded them out of this brand into other higher end brand that we also sold. She had no adverse reactions to this second car. Like all materials there is off gassing like the new car smell, new carpet would be another heavy off gassing product. Boils down to how sensitive one might be to these conditions. It may go away to where you no longer notice it anymore or it may not. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Jul 18 2010, 04:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342735
I had one other female customer that had bought a new car from us years ago & she just could not handle the new car material off gassing of the leather seats. No one else could smell or feel it but it made her sneeze and there was nothing that we could do to prevent or correct it. Finally the dealer traded them out of this brand into other higher end brand that we also sold. She had no adverse reactions to this second car. Like all materials there is off gassing like the new car smell, new carpet would be another heavy off gassing product. Boils down to how sensitive one might be to these conditions. It may go away to where you no longer notice it anymore or it may not. I wish you luck.
I too have heard of some people who are "ultra sensitive" to various materials. Some feel sick, cough, break out, etc. On occasion, they're hired by environmental engineering companies to help inspect buildings for "Sick Building Syndrome" however, if you check the OP, you'll see he said he's not the only one who noticed it. According to him, everyone who gets in the car reacts the same. Clearly there is some foreign material in the car that "gassing" in hot conditions. Either that or some sort of cleaner or aftermarket sealer / protectant may have been used.

Actually, this is a good question for the OP, did you have the dealer apply any kind of aftermarket interior sealant or stain guard?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi. Thanks for all your responses.

To answer the questions, you've asked. No, I have not cleaned the car, had the car cleaned or had the dealer apply any sealant or stain guard. The dealer did clean the car when we bought it before handing it to us, but from what I understand, it was a routine cleaning (mostly of the exterior, I believe). I don't believe it is allergies, as everyone who's been in my car has the same reaction. Also, I don't leave anything in the car except for a box of Kleenex, and that was after the experiencing the stinging sensation, to wipe my eyes.

It's starting to look more and more like there's something wrong with my car.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had a similar issue this weekend. The car had been parked in the sun for a few hours before we began the long trip home. About 30 minutes into the drive home, with A/C on, I notices my eyes were stinging and watering. I attributed it to dry air inside the car at the time but it certainly could have been caused by off gassing of the vinyl or leather. The sensation went away some time later. All cars tend to do this and it is more noticable when hot but the effect should diminish with time. I usually start out driving with the windows down for the first minute or so just to get the hot air out and purge the inside air but when the interior is that hot it takes a while for it to cool down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts