Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As last night was truely the first very frigid cold night here in NJ, my 2017 Elantra Value Edition took forever to warm up! I was driving for 15 minutes before the temp needle gauge even started to move! After about 20 minutes, it became bearable.
My 2015 Honda Civic heater warmed the car in 5 minutes on bitter cold days. It this 2017 Elantra known to have a slow acting heater?

Thanks!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hi,

As last night was truely the first very frigid cold night here in NJ, my 2017 Elantra Value Edition took forever to warm up! I was driving for 15 minutes before the temp needle gauge even started to move! After about 20 minutes, it became bearable.
My 2015 Honda Civic heater warmed the car in 5 minutes on bitter cold days. It this 2017 Elantra known to have a slow acting heater?

Thanks!
Common issue.. Check out "engine temp " thread.. We are all hoping that Hyundai is aware of this issue and finding a fix

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine also takes awhile to warm up.. But, turn those heated seats on, and you're good to go in about 2 minutes. Those things heat QUICK! I have to turn mine down about 10 minutes into my drive to work.

Did you put a box in front of the radiator to help block the cold air?

'17 Elantra Eco here.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Take it to the dealer. There has been an issue with some early 17 E's (as mentioned earlier there is a thread on this).
My 17 Ultimate (Mar 17 Alabama build) blows warm air after 5-7min (2-3mi, NO idling warm up) in this 5-10F cold snap.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
1 - cold it is, longer it will take to get hot water...

2 - if you turn on heat during warm up,, DO NOT USE OUTSIDE AIR... use inside at slow speed to allow water to get hot.. blowing cold outside air across a cold heat core will keep cold water cold.. slowing down ability of engine to make hot water

3 - most of 2017 got thermostat change via recall,, some didnt get recalled and come back with MIL and P1128,, they get thermostat replace and system burbed via GDS procedure

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Ha, has to be an engine coolant problem, anti-freeze, way over cooling, take it to your dealer and have it replaced three times.

See our school buses are putting a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator, but the same size engine as a tiny pickup truck, but with a ton more of volume to try to keep warm. Not easy in a unibody care, bumper is bolted to a frame in front of the condenser, would have to remove that first, or install from underneath after removing the engine under cover. Ha, bad enough to do this to clean off all the bugs embedded in your condenser.

How about just unplugging that 25 watt heater plug from the thermostat to learn if this corrects this low heat problem. If this doesn't work, replace the thermostat, if it does, ECU problems.

Only function of that heater is to expedite adding coolant in production, can't do this unless that thermostat is opened, some vehicles added a bleeder valve to accomplished the same thing. Requires the use of a GDS scanner to do this that fires a command to the ECU. Could have just made it easier to use a switch or just a connector to 12V.

In this old engineers opinion, like taking a trip from Chicago to New York via China, but with the airlines, can actually get cheaper rates by taking this much longer route. But this is causing Hyundai to have problems.

Its the same with ABS, only proper way to do this is to activate the ABS pump, air gets stuck in there. Use to be easy with an ABS pump relay, just bypass the contacts. But also now need a GDS to do the same thing. Not only Hyundai, but everybody. What happened to common sense? Instead of solving problems, making them.

Ha, been flushing and replacing coolant for years, have to wait until operating temperature is reached before topping it off, doesn't take very long with a 454, not muck coolant in their anyway, but really have to watch it close. Was so pleased to see a radiator cap in the Hyundai again, history in most vehicles.

Flushing is out since they made the switch from brass to aluminum, acid would destroy aluminum in seconds, so both the radiator and the condenser are now throwaway items.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
my 2018 GL same issue way to long to heat up this car isn't made for Canada I guess
How cold is cold? Lowest temperature in North Central Wisconsin, actual, not wind chill, this is even colder, was -46*F, two years ago, -28*F, this past couple of weeks, -18*F.

Our 2017 Limited heats up fast and keeps us toasty warm, cranking the heat all the way up can bake us, do you like it rare, medium or well done?

Something is wrong with your Electra.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I park my Elantra outside. Temps have been close to 0 here in the morning and so far the heater works great. While I get my coffee ready, I let the car warm up for several minutes with the CC set to 75 AUTO. When I'm about a mile down the road the system gradually starts putting out warm air.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Unfortunately stuck with two major system of measurement, so called MKS meters kilograms, seconds, a French system, and the FPS or so called the English system, foot, pounds, seconds. Least seconds are the same.

French system is based on guess measurements of the earth, that are way off by the way, English on human measurements, when I press my thumb on a ruler, exactly one inch wide, and my foot is 12 inches long. Seems ironic to me the British adopted the French system, historically they never got along. French never got the difference between mass and the effects of mass on gravity, British got it right.

But neither system has a darn thing to do with temperature no such thing as French nor English.

Anders Celsius, a Swede came up with the guess what, the Celsius system, assigned 0 for the freezing point of water and 100 for its boiling point.

Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit, a German instead of using 0 for the freezing point used 32, why, because with Celsius, have to use what was considered sinful negative numbers at the time, but used 180 for the difference between the freezing and boiling point of water. Why 180? 360 is too much, but early navigators divided the earth into 360 increments, because this was considered a magical number because it contains many prime numbers.

Europe never has cold weather like North America, so we have to go back to negative numbers that were considered sinful.

Ha, just saying with temperature, have to specify the system, quite a difference between
Celsius and Fahrenheit, even NASA screwed up on this by not specifying. Its surprising to me the British went to their enemy French system, but us so-called Americans, traitors as far as the British called us stuck with it. Use so-called Americans, because people from South America are also Americans, they also object to us calling ourselves Americans, they are also American.

In the early days of automotive, most people are right handed so put the steering wheel on the right hand side, but very inconvenient for picking up passengers, all were driving on the right hand side. But we struck on the right side of the road and moved the steering wheel to the left side. British did exactly the opposite, moved their vehicles to the left side of the road.

Least the Canadians stuck with us, a British Commonwealth. But sure confusing after that English Channel tunnel was built for truckers, really have to think twice after crossing, either way.

Ha, the more you study history, the more you realize how screwed up we are. Use to be one tribe, one people and one country and one language. Now 212 countries with many different languages where we spend many of our resources trying to kill each other.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Some vehicles added a thermostat heater to optimize different driving conditions, beyond my comprehensive abilities.

Only reason I am aware of that Hyundai added that heater is to expedite production and servicing, but sure seems to be adding problems including this guy.

All started with emission control, adding a computer to our vehicles, more precisely, a microcontroller that is a complete computer circuit in one chip. But feel they are getting carried away, when this mircrocontroller is even used for such functions as switching on your headlights, opening the trunk, and even the power windows, and yes that thermostat heater as well. Its cheaper!

Happened to me a year ago in November, after driving ten miles, temperature gauge was at zero, no heat. Having a bit of knowledge how this stuff works, no one was behind me, put my Limited in neutral, switched off the ignition, opened and closed the drivers door, and restarted, got heat and the temperature gauge read normal. A power on reset problem.

With my 2012 Cruze, 40 mile from home, would not start, had to try three times, ignition off, open and close the the door, finally started, on this car, the ignition contacts were dirty. Still feel using point contact relays is stupid. Use to use sliding contact relays that were self cleaning, but they are a few cents more in production.

Can go back to 1986 when my father-in-law's electronic dash board would not light up, replaced free under that one year warranty, 12,000 miles goes by quick, dealer wanted 600 bucks to replace it, but was not his problem. The time when the EPA banned electroplating in this country. I pulled his ignition switch, base copper that turn green, copper oxide that is a very good insulator, polished that to a mirror finish used a special conductive lubricant, worked fine again.

So not a new problem, pulled the ignition relay on my Limited, contacts were clean, problem was the negative battery cable terminal was loose, been working perfectly ever since. Not only this, but checked all the terminals and grounds that took me about a half an hour.

Also cancelled my appointment for a new thermostat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have never been in a car with a worse heating system than this one. Something is wrong when you can remote start the car for 10 minutes, drive it 10 miles and still have it not even come close to hitting warmup temps. How in the world does Hyundai **** up a system thats worked for 80+ years?

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
I have never been in a car with a worse heating system than this one. Something is wrong when you can remote start the car for 10 minutes, drive it 10 miles and still have it not even come close to hitting warmup temps. How in the world does Hyundai **** up a system thats worked for 80+ years?
There's another thread on this in the MC Accent sub. One thing you have to say about these cars, the cooling system sure is efficient! ;)

Letting the car sit to warm up does no good at all. I idle my Accent for ~3-4 minutes in bitter cold like this, and then drive slowly for ~2 miles. They warm up better when moving. In these near zero/sub-zero temps, however all bets are off. I made a 125 mile round trip the other day, and the car didn't get truly warm until on the way home.

In 20 degree weather, however, on a long drive I can usually take my jacket off after 25 miles or so,.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem. My Elantra takes forever to warm up in winter. I guess my big concern is it bad for the engine.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I have the same problem. My Elantra takes forever to warm up in winter. I guess my big concern is it bad for the engine.
Service manuals use to give a brief theory/principles of operation, not doing this anymore, mainly just how to replace parts. When cold starts off in open loop mode based on parameters learned from the last closed loop mode where the emission controls produced the correct information learned mainly from the O2 sensors for proper mixture and spark advance.

Determining factor was the coolant temperature sensor for making the switch, was typically around 160*F, if this temperature was not reached, would stay in open loop mode. And the system cannot relearn, so will have an emissions control problem, engine can be running either rich, excessive carbon build up or worst learn, hard on the exhaust valves.

Switch over spec is not given in the Hyundai service manual, at least I cannot find it. So potentially not only freezing, but also an emission control problem. Typically a code is not set, sure was not in my Limited with this problem.

OBD I ended in 1995, learned codes were store in RAM, if you battery went dead, would lose them, did change in 1996 with OBD II, now stored in flashram that is not lost with a dead or disconnected battery. Back then, could take as long as a 20 mile drive to relearn and the engine was running very rough until it did relearn.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So that's a good question! Is this heating issue causing any immediate or long term harm to the engine?? Should I bring my 2017 Elantra into my dealer since there does not seem to be a fix for this?!
Has this issue been corrected for the 2018 model year Elantra?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
So that's a good question! Is this heating issue causing any immediate or long term harm to the engine?? Should I bring my 2017 Elantra into my dealer since there does not seem to be a fix for this?!
Has this issue been corrected for the 2018 model year Elantra?
I doubt it. It is heat, not cold that tends to cause damage. I had a 1993 that had terrible heat. Took forever to get warm. I put in a higher temp thermostat and put cardboard in front of radiator to get by.

I am impressed with the heat my Elantra puts out and quickly. It is struggling a little with temps close to 0 degrees, but starts warming up enough after 5 minutes or so especially at 60 mph.

If I were you I think I would take it to the dealer. My experience is the heater works great in my Elantra.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I just made an appt wih my dealer to have it looked at. The service adviser told me I am the first person to complaint about this, as least that he knows of. He checked my VIN # on the phone and told me my car WAS NOT one that was recalled for bad thermostats. So I am curious to see just exactly what the dealer will find. My appt is for Jan 15th, so I will report back with the outcome.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've let my Elantra sit and run in 5deg weather for 15 minutes before leaving and when I get in, boom, temp gauge is still on cold. But it heats up quickly after I start driving.

·
Registered
223 Posts
......The service adviser told me I am the first person to complaint about this, as least that he knows of....
If I had a dime for every time I've heard THAT one from various dealers over the years :grin2:
FWIW- The advisor should have had others in for this before since Hyundai had two recalls or service campaigns on the issue for some early '17 Elantras.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts