Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In April of 2010 I purchased a 2010 Tucson. The Dealer told me that not everything was covered under the 5 year 60k mile warranty such as the radio was covered for 3 years, the Freon was covered for 1 year and things like that. So I purchase an extended warrant for 1800.00 that covered the entire vehicle for 10y/100k miles. The warranty was not from Hyundai but rather an outside company. I had a 100.00 deductible per repair. I was under the assumption that everything except for wearable items were covered. I am now purchasing a 2011 Sonata 2.0t and I know I will be faced with the same option again.

First what is not covered under the 60k mile/5 year warranty?
Second can I purchase an extended warranty after a few years before the 5 year/60k expires?
Third does Hyundai them self offer an extended warranty?
I rather not use an out side company to decide on how much, what should and should not be replaced and the quality of parts they pay for. Lastly if you extended your warranty can you tell me how much you paid and who is the company that is holding the warranty?

Thanks,

G

·
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Nov 15 2010, 09:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371802
First what is not covered under the 60k mile/5 year warranty?
Probably the same stuff as was/is the case on your 2010 Tucson; that's what it sounds like based upon your description of coverage vs. what my '11 Sonata's warranty booklet says. Check your warranty manual to see precisely what is covered, and for how long.
Second can I purchase an extended warranty after a few years before the 5 year/60k expires?
Absolutely! You don't have to buy right now, and you'll almost certainly save money by not buying right now, and not from the dealer. Extended warranties are one of the very highest-margin items dealers have for sale.
Third does Hyundai them self offer an extended warranty?
Can't tell you for sure about this.

Personally, I don't care for extended warranties on new vehicles, and _especially_ not the kind where I have any out-of-pocket expense (the $100 you said your Tucson's warranty has). Aftermarket warranties are nearly always exhorbitantly expensive from the dealer; you can get them for much lower cost on your own, though likely not with Hyundai's name associated with it. If I were buying a used 50,000 - 100,000 miler, maybe I'd think differently?

To me, you have to look at what it costs to buy the warranty vs. what you get. On a Hyundai, where at least nearly everything is covered for 5/60, that means I'd be paying anywhere from $1,500 - $3.000 for warranty coverage on the radio and A/C system, and the coverage won't even start for 1 - 3 more years! And even then I may have to pay $100 toward the repair of those items, which will probably cover most of the actual expense anyway. That's a very poor use of my money, IMO. Still, not everyone sees things the way I do, so each must choose for themselves whether it's a good trade-off. Good luck!

·
Registered
486 Posts
http://www.officialhyundaiwarranty.com/?state=

Try that site above although the (seems like) million or so words & terms involved may require a mechanic/engineer to help make the choice and THEN know what you bought. My Nav/Audio Pkg is NOT included, and who knows on a newly designed model what will last for x or xx years. What isn't covered is discussed and is meaningful to someone who understands parts and systems.

Many buy the Plan because their personalities make the cost/benefit analysis somewhat irrelevant - they just Feel better Knowing they have it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
After buying a new car you usually end up on mailing lists garnered from your DMV records and will start getting all sorts of extended warranty offers. You'll have plenty of time to check them out before you will have need of one. I would prefer one that allows you to take the car to any repair shop to be fixed. There are many other competent repair facilities besides the dealer that can fix your car. Once the original manufacturers warranty is up you don't have to be "locked in" to returning to the dealer for repairs if you don't want to. If you happen to be lucky enough have a great dealer service department, other choices may not matter to you. However, if your extended warranty allows you to pick the shop of your choice, you'll have many more options to choose from. Most competent independent repair shops are happy to work with extended warranty companies to get your car fixed and back on the road.

There are also some warrranties that have zero deductibles. The important thing is to read what is and isn't covered. None of them will cover everything. Check out the customer satisfaction ratings and reviews on companies you may be interested in to see how well they actually handle repair claims. With the internet, poor service will usually get them a lot of bad reviews posted online.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yep Hyundai has their own extended warranty plans you can purchase. You can purchase it at anytime but it goes up in price at certain points. I can't remember what mileage / year it goes up at though The advantage of buying it with the car is you can roll it into the financing especially if you can get a low rate. Dealer will also negotiate when you buy at time of purchase. expet anywhere fro 25 - 50% discount depending on how good a negotiator you are

·
Registered
18 Posts
The site linked by Hyundai on the help-faq page, (http://www.hyundaiusa.com/help-faq.aspx)
"In addition to the vehicle warranty, do you offer an extended service plan?" ---- , is http://www.jmagroup.com/Hyundai.aspx
They are the company which has been contracted by Hyundai to administer the "Offiical" Hyundai HPP (Hundai Protection Plan).

Many people can sell the plan, including dealers. There is a member of this forum that can answer your questions and sells the HPP plans at a fair discount (he is a Hyundai dealer). Search for HyundaiDealer in the member list and/or send him a PM (Personal Message) on this forum. He will speak to you on the phone as well. Nice guy from NH. Easily is saving me $700.00+ on the plan, over my local dealer. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (The Electrician @ Nov 16 2010, 09:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372144
The site linked by Hyundai on the help-faq page, (http://www.hyundaiusa.com/help-faq.aspx)
"In addition to the vehicle warranty, do you offer an extended service plan?" ---- , is http://www.jmagroup.com/Hyundai.aspx
They are the company which has been contracted by Hyundai to administer the "Offiical" Hyundai HPP (Hundai Protection Plan).

Many people can sell the plan, including dealers. There is a member of this forum that can answer your questions and sells the HPP plans at a fair discount (he is a Hyundai dealer). Search for HyundaiDealer in the member list and/or send him a PM (Personal Message) on this forum. He will speak to you on the phone as well. Nice guy from NH. Easily is saving me $700.00+ on the plan, over my local dealer. :thumbsup:

Great to know. Thanks, I will reach out to him.

·
Registered
533 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Nov 16 2010, 01:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372192
Great to know. Thanks, I will reach out to him.
Consumer Reports usually never recommends taking extended warranties. Sometimes, these types of businesses go in and out of business to shed their responsibilities to their policy holders. Think about how long you typically keep a vehicle and if it is under five years, you are wasting your money because most major items, most of the time will last beyond five years. You likely wont be taking advantage of the extended warranty and wasted your money!

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE (Bingo Steve @ Nov 17 2010, 05:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372411
Consumer Reports usually never recommends taking extended warranties. Sometimes, these types of businesses go in and out of business to shed their responsibilities to their policy holders. Think about how long you typically keep a vehicle and if it is under five years, you are wasting your money because most major items, most of the time will last beyond five years. You likely wont be taking advantage of the extended warranty and wasted your money!
I think the key word is "usually". I agree with "Think about how long you typically keep a vehicle". Good point.

I purchased one (Hyundai backed) on my 2002 Sonata and it came in handy a few times (saved hundreds over it's initial cost). One true example - Nice to get my A/C compressor, dryer and freon replaced at no parts and labor cost on an 8 year old car. And, I STILL have time left on this plan. I think the deciding factor for me was my intention to keep my cars until they vaporize. Sure, the cars probably are more reliable, now, but I am still willing to buy some peace of mind now to prevent a future (potential) surprise burden, perhaps even hedging inflation.

Some consider it a gamble - some an investment.
To each his own.
Worked for me.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've purchased extended warranties on previous cars, and never used them.
You're buying it for peace of mind mostly.
I know some people make good use of them, but not me.
I won't be buying one for my Hyundai.

93 Posts
I spoke with "Ron" HyundaiDealer a few weeks ago. Just purchased a platinum 10yr/100k with $0 deductible a few days ago. I agree, a very nice gentleman also. Saved me $600+ vs what my local dealer was willing to offer.

QUOTE (The Electrician @ Nov 16 2010, 10:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372144

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
this thread just wont die :whistling:
lol

I negotiated my extended warranty which is through hyundai directly for like 400 bucks

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have kept meticulous service records on previous cars that have owned, mostly reliable Honda vehicles. I tend to keep a car as long as possible, typically to 150-200 k mileage, and had not previously purchased an extended warranty--- unfortunately. Looking back on every car I would have benefited from the extended warranty only because I keep cars so long, though admittedly the warranties are only through 10yr/100 K. This time we did purchase the hyundai Platinum warranty and negotiated a lower price. I compared this to online quotes from other vendors, used this as a negotiating tool, and the hyundai price beat them in coverage at roughly the same cost. The website coverage for the paltinum extended warranty shows exactly what is and is not covered, and how it fills the voids in the warranty. i also assumed that hyundai would be less contentious in any future issues over warranty items wth the coverge. There are an abundance of dealers close to my home, so it made further sense to purchase it for convenience as well as piece of mind. It is transferable on sale, which buffers some of the lost coverage of the standard warranty that occurs with a sale by e original owner. Edmonds.com provived practical advice on the merits and pitfalls of the extended warranty. Whether rolling it into you finance deal is financially sound depends on your interest rate. So I favor the Hyundai Platinum extended warranty particulary if you negotiate a competitive price, have dealerships close to your home, and plan on keeping the car for 100K miles.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
QUOTE (Desert owner @ Feb 8 2011, 07:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=399815
I have kept meticulous service records on previous cars that have owned, mostly reliable Honda vehicles. I tend to keep a car as long as possible, typically to 150-200 k mileage, and had not previously purchased an extended warranty--- unfortunately. Looking back on every car I would have benefited from the extended warranty only because I keep cars so long, though admittedly the warranties are only through 10yr/100 K. This time we did purchase the hyundai Platinum warranty and negotiated a lower price. I compared this to online quotes from other vendors, used this as a negotiating tool, and the hyundai price beat them in coverage at roughly the same cost. The website coverage for the paltinum extended warranty shows exactly what is and is not covered, and how it fills the voids in the warranty. i also assumed that hyundai would be less contentious in any future issues over warranty items wth the coverge. There are an abundance of dealers close to my home, so it made further sense to purchase it for convenience as well as piece of mind. It is transferable on sale, which buffers some of the lost coverage of the standard warranty that occurs with a sale by e original owner. Edmonds.com provived practical advice on the merits and pitfalls of the extended warranty. Whether rolling it into you finance deal is financially sound depends on your interest rate. So I favor the Hyundai Platinum extended warranty particulary if you negotiate a competitive price, have dealerships close to your home, and plan on keeping the car for 100K miles.
i agree

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hyundai Extended Warranty

I purchased a Extended Warranty when I purchased my Sonata 2 years ago. I am now trading the car in on a different car manufacturer and they told me when I purchase the warranty I can sell it back to Hyundai. Does anyone know how this is done??:confused:

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I purchased a Extended Warranty when I purchased my Sonata 2 years ago. I am now trading the car in on a different car manufacturer and they told me when I purchase the warranty I can sell it back to Hyundai. Does anyone know how this is done??:confused:
Not sure about the specifics but the dealer told me the same thing. I don't expect to ever get a dime back but it must be based on some formula that accounts for claims paid. If youve filed no claims, you should get something back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Sonata

When I purchased my 2011 "official" Hyundai warranty, I was also told if I did not use it I would get all the money back. Late Dec 2011.
Bought it at the dealership and will be looking to go ahead and cancel.

Not sure about the specifics but the dealer told me the same thing. I don't expect to ever get a dime back but it must be based on some formula that accounts for claims paid. If youve filed no claims, you should get something back.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Many are unaware you can turn your warranty back to the dealer for cash in event you trade or SELL the auto before the warranty expires. In some cases it will amount to a few hundred dollars, depends on how many years of warranty coverage are left when you sell or trade the auto. I have done this myself. One problem, you must request the refund as most dealers will not remind you. You can also decide you don't want the warranty and cancel by requesting a refund. You see one of the management higher ups at the dealer and they should help you. If you are sell paying for the auto the refund will be applied to unpaid balance.

The refund is not based on a used/not used basis. It is strictly calendar. If its an additional 5 year warranty, once 5 years is up or the listed term there is no refund. Check it out at the dealer. Confused, read the warranty terms.

Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts