Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I bought my Sonata used, my warranty expires at 5 years/60K, in about 2 years based on current mileage usage. Around that time I am planning on purchasing an extended warranty. Not sure if I should purchase a Hyundai EW or go third party. I had a third party EW on my Saturn that extended coverage to around 105K with a $50 deductible per incident for exactly $743, (found sales receipt). It more than paid for itself over the years.

I'm assuming that with a Hyundai EW, I must go to a Hyundai dealership for warranty repairs, same as with current factory warranty. I'd be interested in hearing any experiences, good or bad, regarding EWs, Hyundai or third party. Any reccomendations for third party EWs? Do I even need an EW for a 2009 Sonata? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I have one by Zurich. I sell it at work and know it's a good one. I just bought my EW in June and extended my B - B (exclusionary) for 5 more years and 60,000 more miles. $0 deductible and it's good nationwide and in Canada.

I'd go 3rd party which is what Hyundai's is if I'm not mistaken and I definetly recommend the one by Zurich. Just make sure you purchase it just before the 5-60 goes out so you can get a lower price and longer term. My policy was a 60 months from the day I bought it or 100,000 total miles on the car. I had 41K when I purchased the EW.

BTW my cost for the above was about $860.00 and I paid $50.00 over. I'm stopping by my Hyundai dealer today to see some old friends, talk about the cupholder thing and the I'll ask them who administers their EW's. Zurich is direct administrated and you want to watch out for those that are 3rd party administrated.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Definitely be careful about buying EW from 3rd part companies, since there are many unreliable ones who will take your money now, but by the time you need them they might be gone, or turn out to be difficult to deal with, let along pay for your repairs....

Do you even need an EW for a 2009 Sonata? That's a very good question........ Do you need ANY insurance, homeowners insurance? life insurance? health insurance? Like ANY car, it's a matter of how much you invest for what kind of a product.... I invested $750 for Hyundai's own plan when I bought the car. Craig invested some $900. Those are very reasonable investments when you know how much a dead A/C compressor, let alone transmission or engine repairs can cost....

Certainly the earlier you buy the coverage, the "younger" the car -- the less you'd pay.... Don't wait too long....

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Visited my local Hyundai store today and found that the "Factory" EW sold by Hyundai USA is a 3rd party administered policy not associated with Hyundai. Just offered by Hyundai and sold by the dealer. I believe he said it was a JMA product good anywhere in the US at any licensed repair facility. Beware Hyundai does not back the EW sold by the dealer.

Back in the day...way way way back when Mama bought his it was a Hyundai product but not today.

Again, I recommend any product offered by Zurich group. We sell it, I bought it, and my customers use it with no ill effects or complaints.

Oh yeah, the only fix for the cupholder is a whole new one. I opted out.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
QUOTE (craigbrooks @ Aug 13 2010, 03:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349182
Back in the day...way way way back when Mama bought his it was a Hyundai product but not today.
way way way way way way ----- ahemmmmm.... Are you trying to imply that I am an old fhart, Craig? Or that my car is an old rusty clunker?

YOUR CAR IS OLDER THAN MINE !

Have you no shame?!?!?!

:bwekk:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
ahhh but I purchased mine 10/06 slightly broken in.

I only had you at 3 ways.....you had 6 ways and I would never spell phart the way you did. :gitara:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (mamamia @ Aug 13 2010, 11:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349149
Certainly the earlier you buy the coverage, the "younger" the car -- the less you'd pay.... Don't wait too long....
True, but I'm also looking to extend coverage to well over 100K, where most of the big repairs occur due to age of vehicle and its parts. I probably will purchase around 50K ,which should be early 2012, hopefully early enough to save on EW cost yet late enough to extend well into 100K area. That may change once I get pricing on EWs at various mileages.

QUOTE (craigbrooks @ Aug 13 2010, 02:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349182
Visited my local Hyundai store today and found that the "Factory" EW sold by Hyundai USA is a 3rd party administered policy not associated with Hyundai. Just offered by Hyundai and sold by the dealer. I believe he said it was a JMA product good anywhere in the US at any licensed repair facility. Beware Hyundai does not back the EW sold by the dealer.

Again, I recommend any product offered by Zurich group. We sell it, I bought it, and my customers use it with no ill effects or complaints.
What is JMA an acronym for? Also, tried to find info on Zurich group, only found www.zurich.com but no info on EWs. I'm trying to compare coverages between different companies to see which has the better coverage.

My last EW was with National Auto Care Corporation and their coverage seems pretty complete to me - http://www.natlauto.com/images/PDF/Pinnacle.pdf

I wish it was easier to price these EWs out online, but as usual getting ANYTHING from an insurance company involves lots of hoops and red tape. :wink2:

Thanks again guys, I appreciate your responses!!

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
You say "I'm also looking to extend coverage to well over 100K, where most of the big repairs occur due to age of vehicle and its parts." See, but those insurance companies are at least as smart as you are, ActionMan, and they would take the calculated risk and charge you accordingly -- which may well be into the thousands of Dollars.....

It's like an old man buying life insurance....

Also, if you elect to keep searching for a policy and a good coverage, please do a search also on those companies' REPUTATION and DEPENDABILITY....

·
Registered
363 Posts
QUOTE (craigbrooks @ Aug 13 2010, 04:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349182

Oh yeah, the only fix for the cupholder is a whole new one. I opted out.

Why wouldn't the cup holder be covered? The extended warranty is the same coverage as the 5 year, 60,000 except maintenance wear items. Like belts, bulbs, fluids, etc. Am I reading it right?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Suzanna,
"Extended Warranties" sold by car dealers are not really "extended" factory warranties but merely extended mechanical breakdown insurance. They don't extend the B-B offered by the car manufacturer but insure the buyer against future breakdowns. Excluded are wiper blades, bright metal parts, air leaks, water leaks, belts, fluids, air in the tires, blinker fluids, etc. But when a water pump, alternator, window regulator, main ECU, lock actuator.....you get the jist, fails these are covered depending on the coverages of the "insurance" policy purchased to protect the said mechanical functions of the vehicle. One could choose to cover all the mechanical parts of the vehicle or selected ones ie: engine/transmission, heating system, etc.

To answer your question more direct....the cupholder would fall into the "bright metal parts, air leaks" kind of thing. The cupholder although broken does not restrict the mechanical function of the vehicle. Unless of course the said cupholder holds a ....... well you see where this is going ...... nowhere. :whistling:

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Craig,

I'm wondering, would an issue like the sun-visor on our Sonata, a part that has been known to be prone to break prematurely, be covered by the EW? Mine never broke, but would probably break eventually, after x times used, would such a non-mechanical part be covered?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
BTW what we refer to as "extended warranties" EW's are in the real world known as "vehicle service contracts" VSC's. Insurance...that's all it is.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have the Hyundai Platinum H.P.P. (comes with Hyundai 1oyr/100K miles warranty keychain tags/H.P.P. papers). Just wondering if anyone know this: does the H.P.P. have roadside assistance like the one that is included in the original 5yr/60K miles?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks mama. I guess I could have looked at the documents that Hyundai sent me - but asking the q was easier here. No wonder I am overweight, and loving it.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
You may be overweight and loving it, I am not always truthful or trustworthy, and I hate it. Go ahead, check your policy.

I'm just too lazy.

I hate that too. :innocent:

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Aug 23 2010, 06:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351471
You may be overweight and loving it, I am not always truthful or trustworthy, and I hate it. Go ahead, check your policy.

I'm just too lazy.

I hate that too. :innocent:
Almost stopped in at MamaMia's Pizza next to Safeway. Smelled great! You have no idea who wrote the policy, although everyone calls it Hyundai.

The only thing these plans have in common at the 500,000 Dealers in the Nation that sell them are their color. Gold, Silver, Platinum, Uranium...

It is a shame Hyundai abandoned the Hyundai HPP. It has been gone from the Factory site for quite some time now. Makes you wonder? :whistling:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
QUOTE (NFV6 @ Aug 23 2010, 07:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351481
Almost stopped in at MamaMia's Pizza next to Safeway. Smelled great! You have no idea who wrote the policy, although everyone calls it Hyundai.

The only thing these plans have in common at the 500,000 Dealers in the Nation that sell them are their color. Gold, Silver, Platinum, Uranium...

It is a shame Hyundai abandoned the Hyundai HPP. It has been gone from the Factory site for quite some time now. Makes you wonder? :whistling:

You're absolutely correct about who administers the VSC's offered these days. It can be a little shady. The administration of the policy is the key in any insurance policy. My suggestion is to talk to your friends and neighbors, ask them what they have if any and research it some more. BTW we dropped the "plaranium" program a few years back. Nuclear regulatory commission was a pain in the Tommer.

I'll step up and say that if you find a dealership that offers the program administered by Zurich Group...by all means buy it. You will not regret it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts