Hyundai Forums banner

Extended Warranty Ripoff

5K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  psuath 
#1 ·
the dealers are ripping us with the extended warranty. I just read on the Hyundai usa website under faq's - the warranties last (example) 100,000 miles from the day you buy THE WARRANTY. If you buy the 100,000 mile warranty at 0 miles it expires at 100,000 miles. But if you wait untill 9,000 miles to buy your warranty it doesn't expire untill 109,000 miles. the dealers aren't telling you this and are cheating customers out of an important portion of their warranty. they want you to buy it now and lose that coverage. thats just wrong.

#2 ·
the thing with the extended warranty is it covers bumper to bumper. the 10/100k warranty is only powertrain

#4 ·
QUOTE (kablooey @ Jul 29 2010, 04:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345944
the dealers are ripping us with the extended warranty. I just read on the Hyundai usa website under faq's - the warranties last (example) 100,000 miles from the day you buy THE WARRANTY. If you buy the 100,000 mile warranty at 0 miles it expires at 100,000 miles. But if you wait untill 9,000 miles to buy your warranty it doesn't expire untill 109,000 miles. the dealers aren't telling you this and are cheating customers out of an important portion of their warranty. they want you to buy it now and lose that coverage. thats just wrong.

If you do a search you will find that this topic has been discussed many times before. The Stealerships have a huge profit margin built into the extended warranty, and they try to prey on the customers already there ready to buy a car. What did you expect from stealerships? To be honest and straightforward and look out for your best interest?

#6 ·
QUOTE (acrscotland @ Jul 29 2010, 05:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345976
I have to say that when I took delivery of mine the dealership said that if I planned on keeping it for a long time, I should come and see them after no more than 10,000 miles came up and get the extended warranty for the exact reason you describe...

Why 10K miles? As with every other car company, you shoul be able to buy their extended warranty right up to the last day before your regular warranty expires (date or miles).

#9 ·
They sell these for the sole purpose of making money, not to help the customer. Otherwise, it wouldn't exist. The finance mgr at the place I bought mine tried to sneak it in my contract. All he kept talking about was it would not increase my payment - he never said how much it was. When I saw the $1000 on the contract, I told him to take it off or I was walking. He has since emailed me asking if I wanted to purchase it - they have no shame.

Also, I don't know about everywhere, but the extended warranty they tried to sell me wasn't from Hyundai anyway, it was from some outfit named Fidelity Automotive or something like that. I've never heard of them before so wonder if they would even be in business 100,000 from now.

#10 ·
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Jul 30 2010, 09:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346111
Wow, I hope people don't roll Ext War's into their loan!
unfortunately when the dealer tells you "but it's only $5 more per mo" you get suckered into it..it almost seems like a no brainer...I've done it, and I know others have too

#11 ·
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 30 2010, 10:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346116
unfortunately when the dealer tells you "but it's only $5 more per mo" you get suckered into it..it almost seems like a no brainer...I've done it, and I know others have too
Eh, a good point. When my guy showed me the pricing pre/post it also showed total interest paid and to get an Ext Warr for 800 (plat) it put another 16X dollars in interest on the loan.

I did get it, but I paid for it on the side in cash.

#12 ·
I got ripped off big time by the dealer but I finally got them to give me a refund for the extended warranty. They put it on my loan too for $1600! You get a full refund within 60 days luckily. I had to go back twice just to get the refund, the first time the finance guy who put it on my bill said he couldn't take it off, not only that they forged my signature onto the extended warranty contract! I didn't even see the contract till I went back a second time. Boy was I **** off!

I HATE stealerships!!

#13 ·
QUOTE (eyecue @ Jul 30 2010, 12:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346147
I got ripped off big time by the dealer but I finally got them to give me a refund for the extended warranty. They put it on my loan too for $1600! You get a full refund within 60 days luckily. I had to go back twice just to get the refund, the first time the finance guy who put it on my bill said he couldn't take it off, not only that they forged my signature onto the extended warranty contract! I didn't even see the contract till I went back a second time. Boy was I **** off!

I HATE stealerships!!
wow...FORGED YOUR NAME?!?!?!? That quantifies in my book for a really bad and public beatdown...He would've easily thrown through the dealership window if I was you....

#15 ·
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 30 2010, 01:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346158
wow...FORGED YOUR NAME?!?!?!? That quantifies in my book for a really bad and public beatdown...He would've easily thrown through the dealership window if I was you....
Well it's in the works. I'm waiting to get my refund once I get it i'm going to ask for some extra money for the finance charges on the 1600, plus something for my wasted time. I haven't publicaly humiliated them YET. Just trying to play my cards right.

The guy who forged the papers wasn't there the second time I went back, I don't even know what I would of done. I try to be calm and collective most times but this really made me mad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.