Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have recently purchased a used 2016 Santa Fe Sport and am looking at options to extend the warranty. The vehicle has 32,000 miles on it and was not purhased from a Hyundai dealer so it is not CPO. I am specifically looking for the Platinum Protection Plan that is backed by Hyundai. I have called a couple of local dealers and they only offer 3rd party warranties. Has anyone here been sucessfull buying an exended warranty on a used Hynudai that was not CPO or sold by a Hyundai dealer? If so what was the cost?

Also on my last vehicle I purchased an extended warranty from a dealer out of state. It actually saved quite a bit of money compared to what local dealers were charging. Has anyone purchased their warranty from an out of state dealer to save money?

Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’d be interested to hear as well. We bought what, I didn’t realize, was a third party warranty when we got our new Tucson. I immediately cancelled it after having time to read the fine print on how worthless it was. And learning how worthless the phrase “bumper to bumper” is. The only dealers in town are in the same network and offer the same worthless extended warranty. I’m considering an extended Hyundai warranty since we plan on keeping it for a while.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Most 3rd party warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on!

From my experience Hyundai warranties (manufacturer warranties) are not offered by competing dealers online at discounted prices which is unlike many other manufacturers.. I also obtained mine on my Ford product from a dealer out of state at a large discount. Warranties are basically like cars, the dealers purchase from the manufacturer, they can choose whatever price they wish to sell them at. Some dealers believe in volume and really discount the warranties whereas others go for maximum profit. A manufacturer warranty though, once obtained is good anywhere in the country.

·
Registered
882 Posts
don't recommend 3rd party warranty. They don't cover many things such as engine and transmission. You have to read the contrast carefully

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
As others have said.....Read the fine print carefully. Also as others have said....The prices are negotiable. The selling party might be mor inclined to offer a better price if they know they are going to get the work.....

f you do go third party, make sure that your servicing facility will honor it. No facility is required to do so. If it is something they have not worked with before or if the contract company is difficult to deal with then they may ask you to pay the bill and then you can seek reimbursement from the contract company.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
769 Posts
I purchased a third party extended warranty on my 2005 Chevy Equinox after it blew a head gasket, and I found out how crappy the car was. I went through a company called Carchex. I got a 5-year 60,000 mile warranty with "gaskets/seals" protection and a $200 deductible. It was purchased in 2011. I believe the pricing was $2200 or thereabouts. They paid out over $12,000 in repairs by the end of the 5 years (plus I got a $100 check back at the end).

The local repair shop that I use said they've been the best warranty company they ever had to deal with. They just called, sent over the paperwork and got a "virtual credit card" to use for the stuff. The only hiccup we ever had was the head gaskets blew again (yay), and it took a while for them to approve the various repairs (like 5 days), but they paid for everything except the machine shop and diagnostic fee and of course, the $200 deductible. They even paid for my struts (less deductible) to be replaced one time.

This next round, I went with a 10-year warranty (I know, probably not necessary with the Hyundai, but after my last car ...)
The local place used Zurich. I got them down to around $1200 I think. NO deductible if I go to the dealer. If I use some other place, it's $100.

Haven't had to use it yet, so can't comment on how well the company is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchasing an extended warranty through the third party isn’t the right move for every car buyer. So, ensure that there is still a space for budget flexibility which may entail you for an extended service contract.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
ALWAYS read the fine print on any contract regardless of who it is from. The devil is in the details. The new GM plans as an example are a third party and do NOT cover everything the way the old GMPP once did. Third party contracts can be good or bad. They can also go out iof business and leave you with NOTHING. We had that happen to two companies in the 39 years I have been at a Dealer. Even if sold by a Dealer the Dealer is not required to cover you if a third party contract goes belly up (That may vary by State). We were not required to cover for the failed policies but we did assist owners to some degree.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts