Hyundai Forums banner

Extended Warranty On Theta 2 GDI Engines ...?

16K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  texlnghorn 
#1 ·
I came across an article in the " BIz & Tech " section of the Korea Times from 2019.

" Hyundai Motor and its affiliate Kia Motors will provide lifetime warranties to owners of vehicles equipped with Theta 2 gasoline direct injection (GDi) engines, the companies said Friday."
Car owners here and in the United States, who have experienced engine failure, will be able to receive various cash compensation options and lifetime warranties.

Korea's two largest automakers said they would extend the installment of the Knock Sensor Detection System (KSDS) for the early detection of engine failure.

Their engine warranties will affect nearly 520,000 models equipped with Theta 2GDi and Theta 2 turbocharged GDi engines, including the 2010-19 Hyundai Sonata, Grandeur, Santa Fe, Veloster N, and Kia K5, K7, Sorento and Sportage vehicles
Did this ever become reality? This is the first I heard of it ?

#2 · (Edited)
"According to automakers, the agreement terms will include cash compensation options, lifetime warranties, free inspection and repair of the covered engines, and installation of KSDS to enhance safety and address engine performance".

Lifetime warranty? What does that mean? 120,000 miles we know of but lifetime? Forever? What happens if the engine fails at 180,000 miles? They replace it? What happens if the replacement engine fails 100,000 miles later? Is that replaced too?

Here's more details from Hyundai:

#3 ·
"According to automakers, the agreement terms will include cash compensation options, lifetime warranties, free inspection and repair of the covered engines, and installation of KSDS to enhance safety and address engine performance".

Lifetime warranty? What does that mean? 120,000 miles we know of but lifetime? Forever? What happens if the engine fails at 180,000 miles? They replace it? What happens if the replacement engine fails 100,000 miles later? Is that replaced too?
My dealer said as long as I own the vehicle, all needed repairs and parts would be provided at no charge. I asked him to get me a copy of the extended warranty, he said he would mail it to me I can't find it online

#4 ·
Appliest to Canada at least:

I got a software update and a notice with it, that my long block warranty is extended until 10years / 200.000kms.

By the way:

Indeed, the "non-sport", thus the "new" 2019 Santa Fe is not part of the deal. Even though it IS part of the recall and -somewhat- extended warranty. We have to file an object at the following webpage before feb 2021:

Check my explanarion in my post here:

#12 ·
My understanding is that they change the lower engine block, and as few other component as possible, depending on the damage found. In my case, they reused the Turbo, because it tested fine. So I’m pretty sure you’ll be getting the same engine model that you had.

BTW, they ordered the engine the day after I dropped off the car, and the work took about 10 days total.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.