Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a drive-in movie event happening near me at the end of October, it uses FM radio for the audio of the film. As you may be aware, the IX35 radio cuts off after 10 minutes without the engine running.

As it's a movie, the guidlines say NOT to sit with your engine running. Does anyone know if there is a way to extend or disable the time-out function of the radio? I asked at the Hyundai service centre around the corner from my work and got a flat out 'NO' as the answer. To be honest the guy didn't seem too interested.

BTW I have the media pack (sat-nav version).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can't say for sure, but wouldn't having the ignition in the second position (just before it cranks the engine) allow the radio to stay on without the shut off?

Also, I wish we still had drive-ins around here!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion Sam but that doesn't work either. Still has the 10 minute cut out unless the engine is actually running.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What if you were to cycle the key? Have it in the second position, and just before the ten minutes is up, turn it to the first position, then back to the second (or vice versa). Same concept around keeping control of the power windows before that timer cuts out.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Hi.
You will need a battery booster cable for someone to help you get start. Your battery will drain flat in 30 minutes.
Once I installed a new cd receiver & amp on my other car, tested the sound for 25 minutes & the battery run flat.
Next time, bring a FM portable radio, or use the fm radio function on your Smartphone.

·
Registered
316 Posts
A new batt for a one time event?
Why not hit a electronics store and cop a cheap FM radio? Or even a pawn or 2nd hand shop. Put in some new batts and enjoy the show. Afterward you can show off your hand held FM radio relic!

I realize a small handheld or 'table model' FM radio is not going to produce the fidelity of the car speakers, but it ain't the Beatles reunion showing up at the drive in.

Agree with newtech that your Tuck's batt will be toast after awhile, running the in car radio off the batt...
GL, mD

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just my 2 cents here as I am new to Hyundai's but if you turn your key to the accessory position is should hold everything. Or at the very least into the RUN position is will give you full power to everything in the car but just don't push over so the car doesn't start. There are 3 positions to the ignition. 1 OFF, 2 or Accessory and 3 RUN. When you push past the run position it starts the car just don't push it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'v had my 2011 play music for way over ten minutes with the accessory on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
North american Tucson must set up differently than the European one my radio never turns off in the accessory position. Also I have never had a issue at drive in movies , the car always starts normally but I do know the drive in keeps a battery on a dolly to give you a charge in case your battery goes flat.

·
Registered
808 Posts
North american Tucson must set up differently than the European one my radio never turns off in the accessory position. Also I have never had a issue at drive in movies , the car always starts normally but I do know the drive in keeps a battery on a dolly to give you a charge in case your battery goes flat.
"stranded at the drive in branded a fool, what will they Monday at school" lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds like it's the Nav/Radio package issue. I tailgate in my ix35 all the time and never once has it shut off on it's own. I also have the standard radio with bluetooth and ipod support. Nothing fancy like a navigation or backup screen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This issue effects only the Satnav/multimedia units, mine's the same and I wondered the same thing about the drive-in, suppose I will just have to take the wife's car instead. As stated earlier, it shuts down to preserve the battery, so any work-around will result in a dead battery. I assume it sucks a lot of juice because the GPS is running constantly not to mention the large screen (the screen itself can be turned off but that's not gonna buy enough time for a whole movie).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts