Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share my experience with others in case you encounter the same. About two weeks ago I was driving to work in the morning and heard what sounded like a shotgun blast. It took a second or two to get my bearings but what had happened was the forward pane of glass on my sunroof had exploded. There was a fair amount of glass all throughout the front and rear seats of the interior but most of it had blown out of the car. Fortunately I was alone and was not hurt (save a bunch of pieces of glass in my hair) and there were no vehicles behind me. All but 2-3 inches of glass around the perimeter had blown out. The temperature was around 65 F and after surveying the damage the service manager agreed that it was unlikely that it was caused by debris.

After contacting Hyundai Motor Co. the service manager was instructed to not touch the vehicle and that HMC wanted to send a team of engineers out to inspect the damage and perform the repairs. Everything will be covered under warranty (forward and rear glass panels, and parts scratched due to broken glass) so I cannot complain. They were working on the Santa Fe last Wed. through Fri. and I have not gotten an update yet. Hopefully I'll hear some news tomorrow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is what scares me about these glass roofs..... Specially since my wife will have a 2yr old and a baby in back. I don't understand why they don't use laminated safety glass.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, just realized this is the LWB thread. Not sure if the LWB has the panoramic sunroof (I suspect it does) Admin. please move if necessary.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't understand the physics behind these fishbowl roof panels. The co-efficients of expansion between glass and metal are dramatically different, if the glass panel is hard bonded to the car body, not in a rubber carrier seal, the stresses on the glass as the body moves around it must be immense, obviously greater than the glass can stand. Old fashioned safety glass although strong is brittle and shatters. Standard laminated glass would have trouble passing safety standards I think. As it doesn't like flexing and cracks easily.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My dealer does not have any panoramic sunroofs in stock on the Santa Fe--evidently there is a manufacturing problem, but it has nothing to do with the quality or workmanship of the sunroof.

Hope no one get injured by one of these explosive devices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wise man once said...

He whom does not have a pano-sunroof clearly does not understand...

That MAAAAASIVE sunroof makes the car - worth every dime - The LWB Santa Fe feels so much more "roomy" and looks soooo amazing when inside.

I admit, I'm not a sunroof guy - but I'm sold on the panoramic roof!

We never open it, just the cover.

It's even better than the VW tiguan panoramic (which makes the car as well)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I can appreciate your fondness of the pano - hopefully you don't live in a cold climate. My wife accidentally opened her sunroof in the winter time just a crack and it caused all sorts of problems---leak, broken gear, and inoperable sunroof. Not worth the money to repair!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exploding sunroofs are't unique to Santa Fe. I have seen similar threads on the Honda Odyssey and BMW forums.
You're correct, the phenomena is not unique. The cause may be though. The fact that engineers came out to take a look leads me to believe this is not an isolated case.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Aye, hopefully they make a transparent film (maybe a lighter tint than what's already there would work?). I like the amount of light the stock glass lets in.
Sure, you can put clear security film which would make it harder to break and won't prevent light to come in. That's what I plan on doing.

The only issue with adding film there is in case that the glass breaks, I doubt Hyundai would be nice to swap it for free because they may claim that adding the film was what caused it to break. That's the only reason I haven't done that already.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure, you can put clear security film which would make it harder to break and won't prevent light to come in. That's what I plan on doing.

The only issue with adding film there is in case that the glass breaks, I doubt Hyundai would be nice to swap it for free because they may claim that adding the film was what caused it to break. That's the only reason I haven't done that already.
The service manager has been helpful so far so I'll discuss with him and see what he has to say. I'll make sure to cite safety concerns as the reason.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Just thought I would share my experience with others in case you encounter the same. About two weeks ago I was driving to work in the morning and heard what sounded like a shotgun blast. It took a second or two to get my bearings but what had happened was the forward pane of glass on my sunroof had exploded. There was a fair amount of glass all throughout the front and rear seats of the interior but most of it had blown out of the car. Fortunately I was alone and was not hurt (save a bunch of pieces of glass in my hair) and there were no vehicles behind me. All but 2-3 inches of glass around the perimeter had blown out. The temperature was around 65 F and after surveying the damage the service manager agreed that it was unlikely that it was caused by debris.

Well that could have easily caused an accident or personal injury - what if glass had gotten in your eye ? And since yours is not the 1st report on this site - I think it should be reported to the NHTSA as if they get multiple complaints they will investigate. Could spare someone else a serious accident.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the share the exact experience. Here in Edmonton, Canada.

I was driving on a highway and I hit a tiny bump. It a small bump you usually hit when they fix one section of the road and you go into the new part of it. Something minor that all cars pass and I've been driving through it for at least 2 years.

Yesterday though, my panoramic sunroof on my Tucson Limited exploded. I had the same experience: It sounded like a shotgun! I took it right away to my dealership and the first verdict after "asking Hyundai" was that they won't fix it for free. That it was caused by an external source. I asked if they found a meteorite or superman inside, but there's nothing. The stupid thing exploded out of nothing and I'm supposed to pay for it.

I think I will get rid of it as soon as it gets fixed.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts