Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted about similar things before but nothing really serious. I want to get more serious about it. It's likely i'll have a job soon and one of the things i'm considering saving up for is going turbo. Problem is, I have a general idea of things, but not an exact idea. I already know 99% of everything is going to need some custom fit or make of it. But what exactly would I need to go turbo and have it run reliably? Hoping to have maybe 250whp? Maybe crazy I don't know. I'd just like to know possible costs and a generic parts list.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to add on that I want only serious input, also a list of supporting mods to support the extra power.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I want to add on that I want only serious input, also a list of supporting mods to support the extra power.
Alright I also was looking into this and so I did some calculations using the 1.6l GDI engine and found that the turbo you're gonna need is a garret Gt series 2025 I have to check for sure as it was a month ago ill get back to you.This is if you want around 250 HP and from my shopping for quality parts and decently price mind you around 5-6 grand IF you do it yourself.

BUT what you're gonna need to do is buy a complete kit, inter cooler, piping, blow of valves, either decide if you're taping into your oil reservoir or gonna give it its own, a new CPU for your car to manage it all and more.

If you are serious about this you're gonna need help. YOU CANT think of pride in this situation. Help is needed by a veteran. All I can say is it might be cheaper to do an engine swap with a veloster engine but that's the easy way. Anyways, to do this its gonna take you awhile, its gonna be frustrating and you might wanna slap a kid with an aluminum pipe. But if you get through all this you are gonna have a kick ass car man.

Just remember everyone who owns a turbo the majority had it engineered by the company and bought it.... You're gonna be built not bought my respects to you. The choice is yours tho.

Good luck <3

PS: don't come in like a wrecking ball ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright I also was looking into this and so I did some calculations using the 1.6l GDI engine and found that the turbo you're gonna need is a garret Gt series 2025 I have to check for sure as it was a month ago ill get back to you.This is if you want around 250 HP and from my shopping for quality parts and decently price mind you around 5-6 grand IF you do it yourself.

BUT what you're gonna need to do is buy a complete kit, inter cooler, piping, blow of valves, either decide if you're taping into your oil reservoir or gonna give it its own, a new CPU for your car to manage it all and more.

If you are serious about this you're gonna need help. YOU CANT think of pride in this situation. Help is needed by a veteran. All I can say is it might be cheaper to do an engine swap with a veloster engine but that's the easy way. Anyways, to do this its gonna take you awhile, its gonna be frustrating and you might wanna slap a kid with an aluminum pipe. But if you get through all this you are gonna have a kick ass car man.

Just remember everyone who owns a turbo the majority had it engineered by the company and bought it.... You're gonna be built not bought my respects to you. The choice is yours tho.

Good luck <3

PS: don't come in like a wrecking ball ;)
If I get this job and get good hours, ill probably save up and think about it and ill go talk to someone and let them know what I want and have them give me pointers. Fingers crossed for the job, 250 horses in an accent goes a long way. If I do hopefully it'll get a lot of attention from companies to make a kit for our accents finally.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should I upgrade the clutch or pistons, rods? I haven't looked around really to hear where the weak points in the accent are. Id probably upgrade them anyway later for reliability. But im wondering if there would need to be any immediate upgrades.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The thing is, no one really knows the weak points of the standard 1.6L GDI engine.

Only thing one can do is to tear down the turbo version of the 1.6L GDI engine and confirm which parts, if any, are different from the turbo version to the NA version and go from there.

You seriously have a long, up hill battle in going about this completely custom rather than figuring out how to swap out the motor with a turbo GDI from a veloster turbo.

Good luck! Expect to spend twice than what you paid for the car already.

·
Registered
574 Posts
completely off topic more or less.. how viable would a engine swap from a genesis 2.0T be ?
Perhaps IronmanRB201257 has the answer? Would a Sonata 2.0 T be better suited (since it is already FWD)?

Anything CAN be done. But @ what price? $$$$$$ :eek:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perhaps IronmanRB201257 has the answer? Would a Sonata 2.0 T be better suited (since it is already FWD)?

Anything CAN be done. But @ what price? $$$$$$ :eek:
It's hard to tell if it would fit, the space in the accent engine bay is already iffy, plus I'm my that crazy about doing a engine swap

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would just get a different car that is meant for power. I would think that the transmission wouldn't hold the power neither would the axles. Engine would need to be completely re built. So spending more then the car is worth just because you have money doesn't make sense to me but if you want to do it sure why not.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would just get a different car that is meant for power. I would think that the transmission wouldn't hold the power neither would the axles. Engine would need to be completely re built. So spending more then the car is worth just because you have money doesn't make sense to me but if you want to do it sure why not.
I've thought about buying a old is300 and fixing it up, but that would be about 20k at least in parts and car. I find this exciting considering it's something really different. It'd make a completely unexpected sleeper. There was a MC Accent that was turbo'd to about 170hp on stock internals and such that was stable, what on the axle would be susceptible to breaking?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had the same thoughts as you at one point. I concluded that it would cost me 5k for a car pushing 180ish ft lb of torque. Doesn't seem worth it IMHO. After installing the turbo, you're going to want to get a tranny swap etc.

In the end, I decided it's best to just buy a different car. I was thinking of a gen coupe 2.0T and reflash it to 350ft lb of torque (crazy right?) but insurance would of been overkill. I'm paying a $240/month for insurance :(

If you really want to put a turbo in this car. I would get the VT engine and reflash so you'll be getting 250 ft lb of torque (I think that's right # but don't hold me to it) but I would strongly recommend you to trade in or buy another car instead of investing in a turbo for this car. :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had the same thoughts as you at one point. I concluded that it would cost me 5k for a car pushing 180ish ft lb of torque. Doesn't seem worth it IMHO. After installing the turbo, you're going to want to get a tranny swap etc.

In the end, I decided it's best to just buy a different car. I was thinking of a gen coupe 2.0T and reflash it to 350ft lb of torque (crazy right?) but insurance would of been overkill. I'm paying a $240/month for insurance :(

If you really want to put a turbo in this car. I would get the VT engine and reflash so you'll be getting 250 ft lb of torque (I think that's right # but don't hold me to it) but I would strongly recommend you to trade in or buy another car instead of investing in a turbo for this car. :D
I've thought about getting a genesis and getting it stage 2, but for less you can buy a stock wrx that's already faster. The gen just ways too much, I still have time to think about it, i'm just trying to get a rough idea of what i'd need to buy and the costs. I guess i'll see in the future when I have the money depending on my situation.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The 11 to 1 compression ratio of the 1.6 GDI isn't all that suited for a turbo.. For the Turbo Veloster, Hyundai dropped the compression ratio down to 9.5 to 1. To do the same for your stock 1.6 GDI, you'd need new pistons. (I'd go with forged pistons for the extra strength)..

I'm assuming that you're going to wait until your warranty is expired before you do the work.. If that's the case, by then there probably will be the odd 1.6 turbo engine available in the boneyards from written off turbo Velosters. I'd shop around for one, and if the price was right, pick one up and figure out how to do an engine swap. That would be the route I'd take.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've thought about getting a genesis and getting it stage 2, but for less you can buy a stock wrx that's already faster. The gen just ways too much, I still have time to think about it, i'm just trying to get a rough idea of what i'd need to buy and the costs. I guess i'll see in the future when I have the money depending on my situation.
You had better know exactly what you need to do the job correctly. Then if you are fortunate enough to buy all the parts, you will need knowledgeable help. Start making friends with mechanics. Couple more areas to consider improving or upgrading aside from tranny would be suspension and steering components. Love your passion, but this project has mega $$ written all over it. You want 250 HP then it needs to be done perfectly so you can actually use it. Good luck man!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You had better know exactly what you need to do the job correctly. Then if you are fortunate enough to buy all the parts, you will need knowledgeable help. Start making friends with mechanics. Couple more areas to consider improving or upgrading aside from tranny would be suspension and steering components. Love your passion, but this project has mega $$ written all over it. You want 250 HP then it needs to be done perfectly so you can actually use it. Good luck man!
Thank you! I understand there are obviously easier ways to do this, I could go buy a beat up civic and turbo it easy and call it a day, but that's been done many times over and over. This is something new and challenging, I see it as a great chance to learn and hopefully open the way for companies to start making turbo kits and maybe others joining along, if all goes well.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Whatever route you decide to take, I wish you the best of luck :p

1 - 20 of 74 Posts